MA or courses related to Audio, Music, Video and Cinematography in Europe
New Reply
Subscribe
saciestudio
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear maniac

MA or courses related to Audio, Music, Video and Cinematography in Europe

Hello friends, I read a lot on this forum, don't usually post here. Here's some background for those of you that might help me on this:

I am a 28yo studio owner from Brazil and have a BA (4-year course) in Music Arrangement, have co-produced, recorded and mixed some 20-30 CDs and hundreds of demos since 2005. A CD of my band which I recorded and co-produced was awarded in a category of the biggest National Prize for Music (Premio da Musica Brasileira). In 2009/10 I started making video clips and working with DSLRs and Final Cut to make videos clips for the artists that would record at my place, usually instrumental contemporary music, classical or songs (not pop). I also record live performances. Doing so with minimal resources I've managed to satisfy a lot of clients and in these 3 years I've made more than 60 videos, most with audio recorded and mixed by me. They're quite simple but better than most people would have been able to afford. I've also worked on productions for TV, Cinema and Election Campaign as Video Editor, Production and Post Production Mixer Stereo and Surround (not boom op) and Colorist/Post Supervisor.

This is a playlist on Youtube with most of the music videos I've produced:

Youtube Playlist

So, in Brazil we do not have really nice TV/Broadcast or Audio University Courses. The ones we have cost almost as much as a tuition in a great university abroad, which would probably get me much further than a MA from here. We do have Music Post Graduate and Masters Courses but I feel I spent enough time on my BA for no professional benefit (I haven't shown my diploma to any job interview, just stating that I have a BA is enough, doesn't even matter which for most jobs I get). Also I'd like to spend some years studying or working abroad as I love new experiences and feel that coming back with that experience/reel would get me better work here.

I loved the UK and the Netherlands. Those would be my primary options for studying or working. Right now I wouldn't be able to pay for the 10/20k Euro a year for the University but I can manage to save that amount in 2 or 3 years. A great option would be a partial or full scholarship, or an option to work part-time or freelance during the course (is it feasible? do I need a special visa for that?). I also consider studying in the US or other European countries if there is a better/easier option.

I'd like some thoughts from you working professionals on my plan:

1- Would the course help me getting jobs there? I mean, I already work here in Brazil, it could be better and I know a foreign diploma/work experience would get me some respect and probably better gigs but I would really like to stay some time working in London, Amsterdam or any city in Europe for that matter.

2- What would be a nice university/course, one that would lead to most opportunities and contacts? I wanted to study Cinematography to be a DP but then I don't have any fiction work to show... I love audio but I don't think an audio course would get me much better results as I do have a lot of work to show on that camp. I wanted to study Documentary Cinematography but then I don't think video clips are regarded as that on Universities.

3- Some courses need a project thesis and I've been researching to get started on this. I have a few possible subjects for that but as I have a broad scope, I don't really get if it would be better to focus in the Music or Video parts, or if a thesis that would encompass both would be a good move.

I'm really just starting to research on this so ANY thoughts/links/contacts would be really helpful. Thank you very much for any input.
Arranger, bachelor degree at UNIRIO
Videographer/editor/director
+32 4 72 12 50 48
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear maniac

Check National Film and TV School near London for Documentary Directing and Cinematography courses.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

What are you hoping to get out of an MA?
It won't help you get a job. It will just cost you a lot of money.
saciestudio
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
What are you hoping to get out of an MA?
It won't help you get a job. It will just cost you a lot of money.
Hey thats the kind of thoughts I want to hear too. The thing I like the most is to record live videos like shows or music videos with location audio. I wanted to go and make some by my own but I guess that would be illegal being non EU national. I thought studying there (together with my portfolio) might open doors for a legal work invitation. I also think about helping establish a course at a public university here, I'd need a MA for that, but then I could study here.

Sent from my MB860
saciestudio
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear maniac

So the most cost effective way to study while contacting some professionals might be doing some short courses? Id like a moderately long stay, maybe a 3 months course.... I could also study French, Dutch or German during my stay, but then I dont think London would be the best option as Im already happy with my English. Thoughts? Any recommendation for the Netherlands?

Sent from my MB860
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

You can stay up to 6 months in most countries without a specific visa.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search