Ever taken your name off a project?
D'Animation
Thread Starter
#1
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #1
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
Ever taken your name off a project?

I'm possibly over-reacting and using this post to vent (I apologise now). Due to multiple holdups (picture, composer changes etc etc), we ended up having to edit and mix and output the first 12eps of a series in 5days. They've gone out rough as hell with edit/mix choices I'm frankly embarrassed by, never mind thinking about what it will sound like on broadcast.

Producers know my feelings but I was told the client approved everything so 'its fine' - personally, as a creative person, I hate being told 'its fine'. I've got the online guy to delete my mix credit but kept my sound supervisor credit for now.

Has anyone ever taken their name off a project cause I honestly feel this would do my cv more harm than good - looks good on paper but if they actually listen to the show I'm screwed!

Or is it just one of those things?

For those who employ others, if you check out someones work and hear something you don't like, do you disregard/discount them a bit? I've 2 other big shows on air at the moment too which I'm quite happy with so if they look overall, they should be quite satisfied. Only asking cause I'm looking at moving elsewhere and this might be one of the last things I do before applying for other jobs. On the bright side, it doesn't air till April or something so maybe I can pick up a job before then!

Like everything I've done in the last 7 yrs, you learn personal and professional lessons both good or bad, but first time I've output something that I really am disappointed in.

Yes, before you say it, I'll take the money and move on but this is about getting job fulfillment and being happy at the end of the day, I didn't get into post for the money

Thanks
D
#2
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #2
Gear maniac
 
drycappuccinoguy's Avatar
 

If it does not meet your personal standards due to circumstances beyond your control take your name off
#3
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #3
Gear maniac
 

Yes. Edited, mixed an hour show in an afternoon and it sounded like that crap. But I guess it was good enough to broadcast in the end...

I can't imagine plowing through 12 episodes in 5 days without wanting to shoot myself halfway through. These days I'm happy to get 3 days including deliverables for a half hour show.
#4
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #4
Gear addict
 
Sonsey@mac.com's Avatar
 

In a word yes. There are a few cases where I've either a) removed my name, or b) used a pseudonym where I felt that I really didn't wish to be associated with the level of production.
#5
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonsey@mac.com View Post
In a word yes. There are a few cases where I've either a) removed my name, or b) used a pseudonym where I felt that I really didn't wish to be associated with the level of production.
A psuedonym is a good idea. Use it for all less than stellar projects.

Sent from my GT-I8190
Quote
1
#6
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Nope. Having a ton of credits only helps.
In fact, being able to say you we able to edit and mix 12 episodes in 5 days that a client was happy with, is in my books more important.
It means you get the job done, no matter what.
Quote
2
#7
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 

I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't have it on imdb or your written list for when people ask for it.
#8
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #8
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Nope. Having a ton of credits only helps.
In fact, being able to say you we able to edit and mix 12 episodes in 5 days that a client was happy with, is in my books more important.
It means you get the job done, no matter what.
I don't know if I'd want that expectation to hanging over my head.
Quote
1
#9
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Nope. Having a ton of credits only helps.
Nobody ever sees the bad stuff anyway. Or most of the good stuff, for that matter.

And I tend to look at it from the point of view of someone who came up in the, um, non-nonlinear era, when the picture would be locked before mixing started, and the credits wouldn't have my name in 'em. Again.
#10
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Taking your name off (or more exactly ASKING to have your name removed) is a "nuclear option". You better count on never working with those producers again--if you care. After all, THEIR names are on the project, so they are not likely to be pleased to be asked to remove yours. Besides, if it as rushed as you say, no one will take the time and trouble to redo the credit roll anyhow for your request. Taking your name off shows is something for big movies, maybe something a director or composer would get done. I agree w/ Hench--leaving your name on makes you look like a team player, and it's unlikely you'll be judged solely by this one project.

philp
#11
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Henchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranerd View Post
I don't know if I'd want that expectation to hanging over my head.
I have gotten gigs, because of having the reputation to delivery on time, regardless of the schedule.
#12
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 

There are very few people with just a list of awesome credits only. You need to build up your total list with whatever you can and if you look at some of the people you admire mosts credits you will see a early career of movies you have never heard of. This is where you cut your teeth.
D'Animation
Thread Starter
#13
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #13
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranerd View Post
I can't imagine plowing through 12 episodes in 5 days without wanting to shoot myself halfway through. These days I'm happy to get 3 days including deliverables for a half hour show.
Wanted to shoot myself as soon as I heard about this 'schedule' - by the end I was in some kind of calm, zen-like "I give up" state!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonsey@mac.com View Post
In a word yes. There are a few cases where I've either a) removed my name, or b) used a pseudonym where I felt that I really didn't wish to be associated with the level of production.
Pseudonym is a great idea actually...wish I thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Nope. Having a ton of credits only helps.
In fact, being able to say you we able to edit and mix 12 episodes in 5 days that a client was happy with, is in my books more important.
It means you get the job done, no matter what.
True, good point, I guess thats the glass half-full way of looking at it and they have passed QC, not that that has any bearing on 'quality'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Taking your name off (or more exactly ASKING to have your name removed) is a "nuclear option". You better count on never working with those producers again--if you care. After all, THEIR names are on the project, so they are not likely to be pleased to be asked to remove yours. Besides, if it as rushed as you say, no one will take the time and trouble to redo the credit roll anyhow for your request. Taking your name off shows is something for big movies, maybe something a director or composer would get done. I agree w/ Hench--leaving your name on makes you look like a team player, and it's unlikely you'll be judged solely by this one project.

philp
Thanks - I should point out the producers I shared my feelings were our in-house producer and my post supervisor (I work in-house in a production company) - not the direct supervising-producers from our clients/broadcaster (which I wouldn't say peep to for the reasons you mentioned).

I was originally down as supervising sound editor & dubbing mixer so only got the online guy to delete the dubbing part from the credits - only me and him know it and your right, no ones noticed. My reasoning for only deleting half the credit was A) as you mentioned, would look weird if I went missing all together b) editing choices are 'easier' to explain 'why' but bizarre mix choices are more easily construed as poor workmanship c) maybe just maybe it might turn out ok but I think for now I'll be hiding it on imdb at least.

Thank you all for your thoughts, much appreciated
#14
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #14
Gear addict
 
Sonsey@mac.com's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Taking your name off (or more exactly ASKING to have your name removed) is a "nuclear option". You better count on never working with those producers again--if you care. After all, THEIR names are on the project, so they are not likely to be pleased to be asked to remove yours.
This should be immediately obvious, but then again it never hurts to repeat the obvious sometimes, so maybe I should have added that to my post. If you ARE going to take your name off the project, be DAMN sure you don't want to work with these people again, and that taking your name off the project won't cause more harm than leaving it on. Also be aware that if you're working on the show as part of a company, you're not only destroying YOUR relationship with the Producer's but your company's.

Oh and NEVER make a decision like this in the heat of the moment... always sleep on it! It's easy after 18 hours straight of dealing with crap to make a hasty judgement. If in the cold light of day you still feel strongly enough, then consider moving ahead.
#15
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
Taking your name off (or more exactly ASKING to have your name removed) is a "nuclear option". You better count on never working with those producers again--if you care. After all, THEIR names are on the project, so they are not likely to be pleased to be asked to remove yours. Besides, if it as rushed as you say, no one will take the time and trouble to redo the credit roll anyhow for your request. Taking your name off shows is something for big movies, maybe something a director or composer would get done. I agree w/ Hench--leaving your name on makes you look like a team player, and it's unlikely you'll be judged solely by this one project.

philp
I've witnessed this happen with a series director. To say the execs and producers were spitting blood was an understatement!
#16
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
  #16
Gear maniac
 
conleec's Avatar
Personally I'm a credit ***** and will take most any credit I'm offered. It seems to me potential clients are more often impressed with volume than with quality, for better or worse.

I agree with Hench and the others who say that most producers won't see your work, good OR bad before hiring. It's more about reputation, and personality, in my opinion. The people you worked with were happy, and impressed that you got thru the slog and your worked passed QC. Hence your reputation grows. Now it's just up to you to be a swell guy so your personality can get you hired. Taking your name off projects doesn't usually lend itself to that aspect of career advancement.

No matter how high up the ladder we climb, it seems we occasionally have to suffer the indignity of a situation like this. My motto: like water off a duck's back.

Chris
#17
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
  #17
Gear Guru
 
charles maynes's Avatar
 

unless the actual content was totally egregious- (think "the Serbian Film") I would agree with Mark.


if you agreed to work on the aforementioned exception- well, I cant really help you there. If you got paid to suffer through it, you got your reward- however much your soul or psyche might suffer from it.
#18
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
nzl62's Avatar
 

I find that having recognizable credits is more important than whether the project was any good, as Henchman says it demonstrates ability to deliver and work on a range of projects.
The most important thing is attitude. Removing a credit may only demonstrate that you're an arse rather than the ability to get on with it
#19
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 
nucelar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Animation View Post
we ended up having to edit and mix and output the first 12eps of a series in 5days.

Many employers would appreciate this ability more than any number of credits you may have and hire you just for this.
But of course this info is not in the credits
EDIT: what Hench said
D'Animation
Thread Starter
#20
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
  #20
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
....The people you worked with were happy, and impressed that you got thru the slog and your worked passed QC.....

...No matter how high up the ladder we climb, it seems we occasionally have to suffer the indignity of a situation like this. My motto: like water off a duck's back...

Chris
But by god I've never seen so many 2's in the QC reports!

My motto since starting this career quickly became "Pressure's for water"
#21
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
What's the way to handle the other way round? A producer/director/someone stiffs you of your credit?

Edit: Or for example if I'm contracted to do the mix from a company, the company's name is in there instead of the individuals who worked on the project?
#22
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
  #22
#23
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
  #23
Lives for gear
 
soundboy's Avatar
 

If it's terrible, no one will ever know. If it's a hit, it can only help you. Leave your name on.
#24
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
  #24
Gear addict
 
NReichman's Avatar
 

Tell us what show it is so we can DVR it and tease you in the spring!

I'm with Hench on this. Most television is pathetic. If everyone on this list was making Six Feet Under every day, that would be another story.

Congratulations on breaking a speed record! 12 episodes in 5 days. Incredible.
#25
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
ggegan's Avatar
 

It's kind of hypocritical to take a job for the money but not want to take credit because of the content or because you didn't like what the director wanted to do with the sound. If you don't want your name on the project, either don't take it or walk before it becomes an issue. There are plenty of projects I look back at with a wince, but I can't think of any time I've lost a job or felt like I hurt my professional reputation irrepairably because of them. However, I sometimes wonder whether I'm doing my part to make the world a better place.
#26
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
  #26
The only real reason to ask for your name to be removed is if they don't use your mix and have someone else come in after you and redo it. And not even then in some cases.
#27
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
  #27
Gear interested
 

I had an entire track removed from a mixtape because someone decided to "remix" my track by boosting the shhh outta the low end and still had me listed as the producer......so yes! Don't attach you name to anything below your standards.
#28
20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
  #28
Wow, I didn't know Alan Smithee had 'his' own imdb, that is awesome.
D'Animation
Thread Starter
#29
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
  #29
Gear addict
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
It's kind of hypocritical to take a job for the money but not want to take credit because of the content or because you didn't like what the director wanted to do with the sound. If you don't want your name on the project, either don't take it or walk before it becomes an issue. There are plenty of projects I look back at with a wince, but I can't think of any time I've lost a job or felt like I hurt my professional reputation irrepairably because of them. However, I sometimes wonder whether I'm doing my part to make the world a better place.
Just to clarify, I work in-house in the production company so whatever shows they are making, I'm doing post on - only choice I'd have is quitting the job if I don't want to work on it (upside is theirs always work, downside is I don't get to work on the variety or volume of titles as others who work in a general post house). And also, I had done the pilot for the show 2 yrs ago which got the show commissioned which is leap yrs ahead of what has gone out to broadcast so - its not like I went into the show knowing it was gonna end up like this (especially since its the same director and producers...)
#30
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
  #30
Gear maniac
 

Lots of great points I didn't consider! I'm not a freelancer and never have been, so I think I'm slightly spoiled when it comes to having work. I have higher ups finding work for me.

I suppose if one would agree to do 12 episodes in 5 days, let the producers and director know that it will not be lush by ANY means before hand, AND you pass QC, that would take some pressure off and just let you brainlessly blaze through it without worry.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jetpackstudios / Photo diaries of recording studio construction projects
138
natedog23z / So much gear, so little time!
12
jdjustice / So much gear, so little time!
0
AlexLakis / So much gear, so little time!
6

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.