Copyright help
saxsiarz
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear interested

Copyright help

Hi guys, I wonder if u can help me on this one.
I've done arrangements and click tracks for show. I'm mding this show. My friend is director of this show. We got paid for arrangements/clicks she got paid for creating show from theatre. We don't have any contract saying who own this show.
Basically my friend wants to use this show in different place and my question is does she has to pay me (arranger) to be able to use click and charts? Is it enough that theatre let her use it? Looks like my friend want to do it through her company..Obviously I want to be paid!
Would appreciate if somebody will help me.
Regards
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Head

Obviously not having a contract is a bad idea in the first place. You could always go by the fact of how much of your work in percentage is / was necessary to the show in the first place, based on that you can ask for royalty. If there is no specified owner, it's a matter of contribution. If at all possible, set up a contract now and never, ever do anything without a contract again! At this point it's all up to your negotiation skills to get any money out of it.

Good luck!
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear nut

Copyright the arrangement. Its cheap and can be done online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
saxsiarz
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear interested

Thank you guys, I know I should have a contract but the work was based on original tracks, covers and I thought wasn't big deal. Can someone clarify how this should look in proper scenario? I have to admit that business is not my strongest side!
What should I say to my friend? Should I ask for money again? Same amount or less?
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear Head

In a proper scenario the guy who licensed the use of the original tracks should be able to help you out further.

It's all a matter of negotiation really, who's the one in charge? Talk to them and figure out if you'd be better of asking for a one time deal or royalty payments for the continued use of your work. I'd suggest a one-off payment in 90% of the cases since it's going to be hard to track when your work is performed by whom etc.

Talk to all involved and just try what you can get for it. They're using your work (which only you own the rights to unless otherwise stated in a contract somewhere) so you should be paid. Simple as that. If they don't see it that way then you can always play hard and refuse them the use of your work unless they.

Again, it's your work, your right to get paid for it. If there's no contract that's more of a loss to them than it is to you since you created that work and again, automatically have the copyright on it.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search