Removing EQ modifications
New Reply
Subscribe
asterix2k10
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

Removing EQ modifications

In Pro Tools, after I EQ a section of audio, is there a way to revert back to the original without having to drag it out of the Clips and resync? Thanks.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Sounds like you're not using automated EQ's but AudioSuiting instead? If you HAVE to do that, keep an muted, unprocessed copy of the clip on a track beneath it...
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

If you're working in Post its a good practice to duplicate all of your original OMF tracks before you start. You can disable and hide them, but if you ever need to get back to the original there they are.

To undo an EQ, I'd stop rendering Audiosuite EQ's and use automation. I haven't upgrading to PT v10 so I don't know if there are any new ways to undo a process but I doubt it.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Wow great minds. I think we were typing at the same time
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

The answer is yes and no.

If you've applied gentle boost or dip, and your system is clean, you can apply a matching eq to restore the original, sort of. You will pick up some additional noise because of rounding in the math.

But for that to work, the eq has to be the same... not just freq and dB, but also curve and any phase anomalies.

IF on the other hand, you've either used a cutoff or such extreme dip that the affected freqs are down around system noise, it's gone forever. And if you've applied so much boost that it's into clipping, forget about it.

So in practical terms, you can't do it at all. That's why you keep a mirror unprocessed version of everything you process. And why production mixers don't attempt creative eq in the field.
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix2k10 View Post
In Pro Tools, after I EQ a section of audio, is there a way to revert back to the original without having to drag it out of the Clips and resync? Thanks.
The simple way to do this is NOT audio suite eq, but simply automate it.
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
mymixisbetterthanyours!

duplicate playlist and audiosuite only on that 'processed' playlist.
Going back is super easy.

But you should look into snapshot automation, as Henchman said.
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Matt R. Sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
duplicate playlist and audiosuite only on that 'processed' playlist.
Going back is super easy.

But you should look into snapshot automation, as Henchman said.
Playlist will replace the whole track so keep that in mind if your working on a timeline based project. If this is the case you will be better off duplicating the region and placing it muted below: I like to rename the original with the word "original" or "unprocessed" so it's obvious to the mixer down the line.

Also maybe I'm missing something but what does snapshot automation have anything to so with audiosuite vs automating a track plugin?
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallbudgetguru View Post
Playlist will replace the whole track so keep that in mind if your working on a timeline based project. If this is the case you will be better off duplicating the region and placing it muted below: I like to rename the original with the word "original" or "unprocessed" so it's obvious to the mixer down the line.

Also maybe I'm missing something but what does snapshot automation have anything to so with audiosuite vs automating a track plugin?
Because automating a plugin, isn't destructive.
I have no idea why anybody would try and mix by audio suiting eq's.
There are only a select few things I audiosuite in a mix. But only after I duplicate the clip. One of the things I'll audiosuite, is ADR if the pitch needs to be changed. And the new unveil plugin, because of its high latency.
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Matt R. Sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Because automating a plugin, isn't destructive.
There are only a select few things I audiosuite in a mix. But only after I duplicate the clip. One of the things I'll audiosuite, is ADR if the pitch needs to be changed. And the new unveil plugin, because of its high latency.
Either I mis spoke or you didn't understand my post. Obviously I'm not arguing mixing eq via audiosuite. I know how to mix. I'm commenting on Kosmo's mention of "snapshot" automation . Maybe our definition of snapshot is different..

I was trying to say of course you should never do this destructively but to say "snapshot" implies something different than simply automating the cuts boots or notches in real time with track plugin automation.

In my world snapshot implies pre-programming a setting to revert to and from via snapshot or preset automation on a tracks plugin which is a method of real time automation and not necessarily relevant to the audio suite vs realtime discussion.

I was simply pointing out the specific mention of "snapshot" not relevant to the OPs question.

To return to the OPs question the direct / short answer is : no there isn't a way to directly revert. You can however in the future make your eq automated and thus NOT destructive. However, I believe when you audiosuite a region it will make a new file. Open the region bin to locate your original file.
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
mymixisbetterthanyours!

5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Matt R. Sherman

6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Aside from the exceptions Henchman mentions in the same comment,

- because it's a dicey change and you want to make sure it'll work while you're editing, before ever doing an automation pass

- because you might be passing the project to someone who doesn't have exactly the same plug-ins

- because you'll be archiving the project, and might have to make changes in the future after you've changed or upgraded your system, or after a certain plugin has been abandoned and died because of an OS change

- because you're working in Nuendo or some other DAW that renders faster than realtime, and you want to do something that takes realtime or longer to process. (Okay, it won't be called audiosuite in the other DAW, but the function would be the same.)
asterix2k10
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear maniac

Thanks for the tips, guys. I guess I have learned some bad habits by always audiosuiting my EQ's. I was able to restore by importing session data from an old session and creating playlists (as Kosmo suggested,) putting the old tracks in the new playlists and then copying and pasting the sections back. For the future I would like to learn how to automate the EQ instead. Would that be explained in this link?

Creating Snapshot Automation for Pro Tools Reference Guide v80
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Gear addict

I'm sure it has been covered before, so either search here or google for:

- The "preview" function in the automation panel if you have PT HD or the CPTK
- or using "suspend automation" if you don't have preview.

Generally in short, I work like this: Go into either mode, tweak tweak tweak (the parameters need to be set to automation-enabled in the plugin), then I select the range (in STOP!!!!), with handles, to write to, and punch/write.

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search