New Reply
Subscribe
Pawitter Parmar
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Need help to build new post-production studio for ADR

Hello Guys,
I am new to this site & please forgive me if I post on wrong page.

Need help to build Post-Production facility .

Hello ,
I have a dream to build a post-production facility . Please help to pick the right equipment again we well cater only low budget regional films in northern india. I don't know much about audio for film post-production line. My self Strictly video or film guy. Please send much info you can about what should I get or not to get far as equipment. Open for your honest advice & suggestion. Thanks you very much . Happy New Year in advance .......

Services to my clients .

ADR ,Sound Fx,Background score ,Voice Over, Sound Design, Foley . 5.1 Surround sound mix.
Patiala,Punjab. India. 147002

Pawitter Parmar
Cell : 09878617299
e-mail:pawitterparmar@gmail.com
www.liquid-red.com
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Buy some books!

Start with something like Everst's classic "Sound Studio Construction on a Budget", or whatever later version you can get hold of. Recording ADR, VO and foley requires slightly different techniques than a typical low-budget music studio. It doesn't have to be expensive, but does require some thought even before you lay out the walls.

Then get one or two of the good how-to books about post production audio for film, written by people who do this stuff for a living. (I can think of at least four good authors off the top of my head...)

They won't recommend specific brands or models to buy, but that's the last thing you should be worrying about. They -will- tell you what you have to be able to do, what specific kinds of equipment are used for it, and how to use it. Then you can make intelligent choices about where to spend your money based on the latest developments in the market.

--

Or spend a lot of money and hire a studio consultant.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Buy Jay's books too!

Also--
F. Alton Everest's books (Amazon.com: F. Alton Everest: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle)

Rod Gervais: "Home Recording Studio: Build it like the pros"
Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros - Rod Gervais - Google Books

Hang out on the John L. Sayers forum. Lots of good info there--you have a lot of reading to do! But these 3 resources have helped me a lot with room acoustics, HVAC etc etc. John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum • Index page

philp
Pawitter Parmar
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

Building post-production studio

Hello Guys,
Happy New Year to all of you.
Thanks for the info but i'm not too much in to reading books maybe in can look at some dvd video or youtube etc. Please let me know if you have more info . Thanks
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawitter Parmar View Post
Thanks for the info but i'm not too much in to reading books maybe in can look at some dvd video or youtube etc.
My best professional advice is that you reconsider the book thing.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Thanks for the info but i'm not too much in to reading books
This won't get you far
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Without wanting to sound obnoxious or anything, you will NOT learn how to build a post facility by watching videos on YouTube. There may be plenty of cool videos showing some nice facilities but it will get you nowhere when it comes to actually planning and building the place.
Do try to get some books that will really give you sound advice on basic or advanced acoustic treatment and building techniques.
Good luck with your project.

Sent from my XT910

Paris, France
Heavy Nuendo users

"I don't care what they're talking about, I just want a nice fat recording" Harry Caul
My blog: http://www.filmmixer.eu
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for the info but i'm not too much in to reading books maybe in can look at some dvd video or youtube etc.
If you don´t like the book format, then you could start by reading threads here on GS and over at the avid forums! That´s what I´ve been doing since 2006! And it has helped me a lot!

arvid in stockholm
Macpro Harpertown 2 x 3.2 ghz
Avid artist mix
Genelec 5.1 monitoring, treated room.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello Guys,
Happy New Year to all of you.
Thanks for the info but i'm not too much in to reading books maybe in can look at some dvd video or youtube etc. Please let me know if you have more info . Thanks
Well, the Sayer's forum and Gervais's book both have a lot of diagrams, but detailed construction as needed for a studio doesn't really lend itself to making videos. If the books being in English is a problem I think Everest's books at least have been translated into other languages. Otherwise you may want to seek out people in your country who have done this kind of work and hire them as a consultant. There is a lot to know if you want to do even a decent job. For a really good result your first time trying you will absolutely need a lot of help, even with doing a lot of reading! And, as you know...the equipment is the easy part!

phil p
Pawitter Parmar
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear interested

Post Good books

Ok every one i think i don't have a choice i have to go to reading route for me reading in english or speaking english is not a problem so i well download some these books to my iPad and start reading them. One think i like to clear with every body that my self is only director of operation of my post-production studio i well hire employes to work for me i don't have to do anything to do with recording audio or ADR etc.....
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
One think i like to clear with every body that my self is only director of operation of my post-production studio i well hire employes to work for me i don't have to do anything to do with recording audio or ADR etc.....
that won't get you far either. You need to be on top of what you company does
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Ok every one i think i don't have a choice i have to go to reading route for me reading in english or speaking english is not a problem so i well download some these books to my iPad and start reading them. One think i like to clear with every body that my self is only director of operation of my post-production studio i well hire employes to work for me i don't have to do anything to do with recording audio or ADR etc.....
It's an admirable dream, I just hope you're not doing it for the money. If you're doing it for the love of the craft that's great, but you won't get rich running a post production facility.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear nut

Get an acoustician such as
John Brandt www.jhbrandt.net

John did the acoustics for my studio and I recommend him.

Ben Chase
Tectonic music
Pawitter Parmar
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear interested

Hello,
Mr. Ben thank you very much sir i have send e mail to john let see what happens.....Thanks alot.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search