New Reply
Subscribe
nzl62
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

FX predub orginisation

Hi again

one of the coolest things I find is to meet new people and check out their workflows and templates , so I wanted to see how the sfx/sound designers arrange pre dubs, specifically with regard to tracks intended for LFE.

Eg in the past I may have splits such as cars, weapons, household etc with a specific pre dub for LF. The idea being that a dedicated VCA could be available for more or less of that. It works, its pretty clear but it does separate lf elements from their parent pre dub group. So for the next feature I was considering adding 2-3 mono tracks to be dedicated LFE sweeteners per pre dub (maybe not inc house hold etc) but def for impacts, vehicles , weapons etc

Thoughts?
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm on the 'simple' (but you can call it 'cheap') side. Usually just one or two dedicated mono tracks per project. I don't like sending stuff from regular tracks to the LFE (except for the upmixed music), because in that case I don't have an easy overview of what has been sent and when. With a dedicated LFE track(s), you see at a glance the temporal and amplitudal structure of your LFE usage.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

I'm with Danijel.
Dedicated LFE tracks. Sending via the fader or a send might be fast, but does not show at a glance what/where/when.
and a complete picture department with online, grading and more based on Mistika.
http://www.europasoundvision.se
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

you guys running a filter on the track or send at 80hz to cut highs or do you process the clips individually
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I tend to use a handful of specific lfe tracks (filtered between 100 and 120 depending on what sounds best - I am not too pedantic)
the I sue Auxes to derive through something like a dbx box or lowender/lowair etc.
ButI think I may create specific lfe tracks per pre dub , so that they groups correctly on a via and so if I end up printing some I will have the printed lfe too.
I never use the pro tools panner to send to lf. May work ok in the 6 track but it all turns to custard when you down mix as what you are in effect doing is adding a duplicate to the stem that is only filtered in the processor (CP650 etc)
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I posted this in another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
Food groups (a, B, C, D etc.) feed separate 5.1 auxes

mono and stereo tracks in the food groups

certain sounds always stay on certain tracks with naming in comments of tracks.

track name A_m_1 comment Door o/c 1

A_m_2 Door o/c 2

etc.

the 5.1 auxes have naming in the comments based on whats in the group

Aux A comment = doors / misc / body falls

Aux B comment = Car bys /car engine / punches

Aux C comment = tires / whooshes

Aux D comment = Strut / impacts

aux E comment = whatever

Bg tracks should all be labeled and carry only those sounds for instance
winds traffic tone birds whatever. Its going to change in every show just keep it constant.

A/B tracks

A wind 1-2
A wind 3-4
A wind 5

B the same

SESSION START TIMES SHOULD BE WHAT THE MIXER WANTS. They hate this being wrong. Believe me.

POPS!

no straggle bullshit on the timeline. If you mute a region and leave it on the timeline all of a sudden on the stage its a alt even though its just junk.

If things get complex in the edit (they will) and you need to divert create a region group and label each region on the track with a explanation.

Do this also if you are cutting applause per person on screen then you can region group the track and say

"lady in yellow to the left --->>>>"

"women in black next to her ---->>>>"
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search