PSI for post anybody? (A17M)
Old 21st December 2012
Gear addict

Question PSI for post anybody? (A17M)

Hello (again),

this time I am still looking to find new speakers for my edit suite / (pre)mix room. I currently have KH120 still in the race, that definitely won against Adam S1x (imaging better, depth, clarity, less muddy bass). Now the shop tipped me off on PSI and I have the A17M together with the KH120 here. Wow, the feeling of slightly less mids on the KH120 and up-front HF versus bass that was always somehow distant is what the A17M seem to correct.
As they seem to be such a niche speaker I'd like to hear if anybody has heard them or used them in a post context before? I might be getting a very good deal on them and it brings them into a similar price range. Soundonsound's review raves and puts them in a very different price league, but then again, that is one opinion.

Thanks for any input

Cheers and best,
Andrew
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

I had a A-21M stereo setup, which was great. Very honest, never hated mixing with a lot of compression/limiting more ;-) (this was before I started to deliver R128). I miss them
Old 21st December 2012
Gear addict

Thanks for sharing - what did you exchange them for?
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

I had a 5.1 setup of BlueSky System One, which was OK and the PSI as a stereo setup. But I hated having 5 speakers in front of me. So I wanted to upgrade to PSI 21's all around and a PSI sub. I managed to sell the BlueSky's (with the monitor controller), so I needed another monitor controller as well.

In the end that was too much money for me and I got offered a Dynaudio Air 15 set for a good price. The Air series are very smart for surround use and have a monitor controller as part of the package. I use them fully digital, can switch presets between theater and tv calibration, bass management, the works.

It's a good system, but ever since PSI brought out a new sub, I've been wondering if I made the right choice. Don't have to worry about it right now, don't have the money ;-)
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

I use the PSI A25's fed by Prism converters in a stereo setup. Love 'em!

It is always a little painful listening back to mixes I did elsewhere on other monitors. On the PSI's, suddenly I hear all these little imperfections I couldn't hear at the other studios...

I use them for post, mastering and music production. Being so honest and revealing makes them very easy to work with. You immediately hear what needs to be done...

Alistair
Old 21st December 2012
Gear addict

Thanks you two. That sounds great. @Pethenis, my contact in the shop was drooling over the PSI sub - didn't have time to test it myself though.
Yes, I remember the AIR from a uni studio, very nice with the calibration and controlling interface etc.!!

Alistair that sounds really interesting - I am still unsure whether what annoys me now in the KH120 after having heard the PSI is just the KH sound or "in the mix" (and the PSI too "nice", although I believe them to be rather brutally honest) - usual problem with unknown tools.
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mottl View Post
Alistair that sounds really interesting - I am still unsure whether what annoys me now in the KH120 after having heard the PSI is just the KH sound or "in the mix" (and the PSI too "nice", although I believe them to be rather brutally honest) - usual problem with unknown tools.
If you get a chance, try them with a variety of material to make sure that they fit your taste and that you are not hearing something in a particular mix.

Alistair
Old 21st December 2012
Gear addict

I've had everything from jazz, pop, classical (strings are so warm and "wooden" compared to the KH120), rock, production sound, DVDs, own and commercial stuff so far. Enjoying just listening to music right now again!!
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've had everything from jazz, pop, classical (strings are so warm and "wooden" compared to the KH120), rock, production sound, DVDs, own and commercial stuff so far. Enjoying just listening to music right now again!!
Oh I just re-read your original post and see you have them in your studio for auditioning. Enjoy!

Alistair
Old 21st December 2012
Geariophile

Quote:

I am still unsure whether what annoys me now in the KH120 after having heard the PSI is just the KH sound or "in the mix" (and the PSI too "nice", although I believe them to be rather brutally honest) - usual problem with unknown tools.
I can only think that the A17's would be superb for post. Relaxing and super detailed, won't wear on you but always tell.

I am finding that any speaker I have heard after first having A17's and A21m's on trial at mine a couple of months back annoy me. Seems their natural unforced sound make anything else sound somewhat contorted in one way or another.

Luckily I just (finally...) ordered my A21m's and they are on their way to me now. Feels like finding home without previously knowing I hadn't been there yet.

P.S. The a17's are superb, but if you can afford it, do listen to the A21m. The sound stage is ridiculously sweet. Same flavour, but more of it and even more spot on.
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear interested

Since 2005 I own PSI A17 (LCR) and A14 (Surround) for post, with Adam Sub7 (PSI sub is too expensive and too large for my studio...).

These monitors are surgical treatment! Relaxing, honest and detailled. You immediatly hear what you do.
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear addict

Nice!!
I'll try and see if I can get the 21m for demos, or what the offer would be. Maybe if I go for 17s now and upgrade to surround later, I could switch the 17s to the rears.
The 21m might be too large for my room, don't know if that would be "too much power"...
Old 22nd December 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Nice!!
I'll try and see if I can get the 21m for demos, or what the offer would be. Maybe if I go for 17s now and upgrade to surround later, I could switch the 17s to the rears.
The 21m might be too large for my room, don't know if that would be "too much power"...
My room is very small (3.5x4.5m) and the 21's are perfect in there. Get both the 17's and 21's to your place and find out which are better in the room. What I did. My money's on you falling in unstoppable love with the 21's. What happened to me.
Old 26th December 2012
Gear interested

I have been going back and forth between The A17M's and Focal Solo6 Be's. I'm just having a hard time pulling the trigger on the A17M's because I can't listen before I buy.
Old 26th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
My room is very small (3.5x4.5m) and the 21's are perfect in there. Get both the 17's and 21's to your place and find out which are better in the room. What I did. My money's on you falling in unstoppable love with the 21's. What happened to me.

My room is slightly smaller I think, though treated quite well. I got the A17M, though they haven't been set up yet (holidays etc.) and will see what the A21M would cost and might go for them... will see.

How far away are you sitting?
Old 26th December 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
My room is slightly smaller I think, though treated quite well. I got the A17M, though they haven't been set up yet (holidays etc.) and will see what the A21M would cost and might go for them... will see.

How far away are you sitting?
Rolling between a meter and two and a bit meters tops distance.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search