Login / Register

Dialog/Voiceover editing advice for someone new to post editing?
New Reply
Subscribe
Seth
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear nut

Dialog/Voiceover editing advice for someone new to post editing?

Hi everybody. I tried searching for answers before posting, but could not find exactly what I was looking for. Hoping you all can provide some insight.

I recently began getting some dialog/voiceover editing jobs from a film studio in LA, primarily working on custom internet-based commercials and mini-films. No ADR, just post-editing of dialog/VO tracks (lav and boom) they send me in OMF format: mostly for levels, balance, compression, eq, noise removal, fades, etc.

This is a bit of a new world to me, as I've primarily done tracking/mixing/mastering for bands and singer-songwriters, and have not done film/commercial work before (and I was upfront with them about this lack of experience, but they wanted to give me a chance anyway to see what I could come up with because they were in a time crunch on some projects).

So far they've been really pleased with my results and have offered further work. Because of this, I wanted to ask some more experienced folks here if they had any advice specifically regarding dialog/voiceover level balancing, creating smooth flow between drastically different sounding dialog takes, or just general dialog editing tips. Are there any "must-have" specialty software for this type of work you enjoy using?

I'm using Cubase 6. I find RX software works like a champ most of the time for noise removal, though can often change the timbre of the dialog once noise-edited. Voxengo Voxformer seems to be a very useful plug for vocal compression and eq for these types of dialog narrations so far. Once I'm all finished in the plugin domain, I do final processing on my mastering outboard chain (API 5500 and a pair of Trakkers).

Any insight or advice on workflow tips, or other useful plugins or tools for editing dialog/voiceover narration would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance! (and Happy Holidays!)

-Seth
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear addict

I think its really important to do fader rides a lot. Needs some practice for sure, but really gets the dialogue to another level. You can level the dialouge

and turn down the noise in between words in one pass. After that you might not need to eq or denoise that much anymore.

Waves C4 works great for making everything sound more alike.

Before you denoise try to remove tonal noise with sharp eq cuts.

Just a few things...
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

John Purcell, a contributor to this forum, has written a wonderful book:

Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures: A Guide to the Invisible Art
Seth
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear nut

Thanks for the replies guys! Very helpful.

I will definitely look into Waves C4. I haven't used Waves in many years, but I've heard lots of folks use C4 and like it.

And I just ordered John Purcell's book on your recommendation. Thank you so much for the suggestion, as that will certainly clear up a lot of initial questions for me.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search