5.1 dialnorm measurement
New Reply
Subscribe
Cheeseball
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

5.1 dialnorm measurement

Hello. Does anyone know if nat geo is measuring only the center channel for dialnorm, or do they measure across all the channels? Should I be sending all 6 channels to my lm 100 via aes, or just the center? The dialog intelligence is supposed to pick dialog out of the whole mix, but measuring all the channels will show a slightly hotter dialnorm. Thanks a lot for thoughts.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear nut

Since no one has pitched in here, I'll give you my out of date viewpoint. I mixed a small number of hours for them in 2010 and 2011, but not 2012. In those 2 years their spec sheet was not exactly specific about that, as they talk about 5.1, dialog loudness (dialog is almost entirely in the center channel only) and then say it is measured as per BS 1770-1. BS 1770-1 does NOT use the LFE channel for measurement. Trouble is, all flavors of BS 1770 measure all channels of a 5.1 mix. So, I sent 5.1 mixes that are pegged at -23 using all channels. One of those was quite heavy in the surrounds, which pushes the loudness number down (louder) compared to measuring the center channel only. Both passed QC without a flag, so that's what I would do again unless they've changed their spec sheet.

Anyway, their programs are typically very heavily scripted with end-to-end narration so there really won't be much difference either way.

LM100 has not been updated to include more modern gating modes, also it's peak meter is not "true peak" (different readings than my LM6 makes me believe that). I'd pay very close attention to their latest spec sheet if those terms are included, or if they say "BS-1770-3".
Cheeseball
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear interested

just got the qc report back, and their dialnorm reading was 1db hotter than mine. I think they're measuring across all channels. I updated the lm 100 this year. Didn't know it was missing something. For the money I paid for that damn thing, I'll use it until it won't help me pass. Thanks for the input.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear addict

They measure across all channels.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search