reducing clothing noise
New Reply
Subscribe
berniebeaudry
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Gear Head

reducing clothing noise

Anyone with RX2 experience have much luck reducing clothing noise on a hidden lav? I've been playing with it and haven't been too successful. The noise isn't too terrible but its something I want to improve if I can. Anyone care to share some settings to get me in the ballpark?. So far I've tried a couple of passes of decrackle with marginal results.
Thanks,
Bernie
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Try Spectral repair, it might take you a while... tell the producer the sound recordist needed some cos-11 Sankens with Rycote overcovers .
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

A combination of Decrackler, Deconstruct, and manual editing with Spectral Repair and Gain.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

The major issue with noisy lavs isn't solvable by the choice of mic or things like Rycote covers. The problem is usually that the clothes themselves are noisy, and are interacting with body hair. Many fabrics used in clothing are very noisy, and there is nothing really to be done about that except to try and mount the mic away from those pieces of clothing. One help with this can be the tiniest of lavs (like B6) that can in some circumstances "hide in plain sight", on the outside of noisy clothes. This all is one reason why many recordists fly a boom even when the job could be done with a lav--with a lav you are at the mercy of talent movement and wardrobe.
A lot can be done w/ RX etc, but some recordings may require bigger iron (Cedar Cambridge etc)

philp
berniebeaudry
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
The major issue with noisy lavs isn't solvable by the choice of mic or things like Rycote covers. The problem is usually that the clothes themselves are noisy, and are interacting with body hair. Many fabrics used in clothing are very noisy, and there is nothing really to be done about that except to try and mount the mic away from those pieces of clothing. One help with this can be the tiniest of lavs (like B6) that can in some circumstances "hide in plain sight", on the outside of noisy clothes. This all is one reason why many recordists fly a boom even when the job could be done with a lav--with a lav you are at the mercy of talent movement and wardrobe.
A lot can be done w/ RX etc, but some recordings may require bigger iron (Cedar Cambridge etc)

philp
I was the sound recordist and the issue I had was exactly as you described. A woman spokesperson with a very scratchy sounding blouse no matter what I did. I was flying a boom too and it sounded much better but due to a brain fart on my part I had a few passages that didn't get recorded on boom. (don't ask). I basically gave up on the lav and planned on using the boom but Murphy's law bit me in the ass.
I don't own RX2, I was trying it out to see if purchasing it would help me since I wanted to have it anyway. I really didn't get any results that were workable because I just don't know what I was doing. I ended up using a combination of Audacity and Reaper to to edit the most offensive rustle which was in between words for the most part. Reaper has some really good fade tools that really helped me once I got the hang of them. After all the cutting I added the slightest amount of reverb to liven the COS 11 up a little. I did that in Audacity as they had a included plug in that worked pretty well. Its been a lot of years since I've done any audio post and this whole fiasco was a good learning experience for me. I tried so many things that didn't work so I really appreciate the collective wisdom on this board and the time you took to respond.
Best,
Bernie
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear addict

This is how I fix it:
1. Manual editing and replacing small fractions of words, RT e.t.c.
2. NoNoise DeCrackle pass
3. RX2 Spectral Repair.
4. Low Pass shelf Eq. A bit less air sometimes help with cloth noise.
5. Add gentle verb (before it goes to mix) on it to bring it back to life.

When I record on location:
1. Use "hush" tubes to reduce cloth noise.
2. Be a cruel beast with a smile on your face. Glue as much Gaffa tape on an after as you need - no matter what they say....and smile again.
3. Never give up your boom! Sometimes it will save your life.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
This is how I fix it:
1. Manual editing and replacing small fractions of words, RT e.t.c.
2. NoNoise DeCrackle pass
3. RX2 Spectral Repair.
4. Low Pass shelf Eq. A bit less air sometimes help with cloth noise.
5. Add gentle verb (before it goes to mix) on it to bring it back to life.

When I record on location:
1. Use "hush" tubes to reduce cloth noise.
2. Be a cruel beast with a smile on your face. Glue as much Gaffa tape on an after as you need - no matter what they say....and smile again.
3. Never give up your boom! Sometimes it will save your life.
The hush tube won't make noisy clothing quieter, but it IS the bomb for dealing with all but the noisiest ties, esp if they want the "tails" to be loose and moving.

philp
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search