Dialogue editors in UK
New Reply
Subscribe
EmilieB
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Gear interested

Dialogue editors in UK

I'm a dialogue editor in Canada. Although originally from England, all my training and experience in Post Production has been in Canada. It was never my intention to settle here but one year somehow turned into five.... but I'm hoping to move back to England next year.

Anyway!

I work full time at a post house in Toronto as a dialogue and ADR editor. We are one of the main facilities in town with 3 sound stages, 2 ADR studios, 1 foley, in house editors & mixers... etc I deal with dialogue and ADR only. Cutting sync, evaluating for ADR, recording ADR, cutting ADR.

My question is, is there much demand for a "dialogue editor" in the UK? I know they exist but I get the impression that editors would probably do the SFX and dialogue and maybe even be a dubbing mixer too....? Would I struggle to find work specifically in the dialogue editing field in the UK? Or do I need to be good at sound design and mixing in order to cut it?

I know in Canada there is a lot of ADR work. I spend a lot of time doing ADR. Whereas in the UK I don't think ADR is implemented as much....?

Any advice about life in audio post in the UK would be really appreciated.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear maniac

I don't know much (anything) about the scene in Toronto, but London is one of the biggest filmmaking hubs in the world so there is a lot going on.

On TV drama and features you will find dedicated dialogue and sfx editors (and ADR mixers) to the degree that you will pretty much have to choose which career path to pursue in order to be taken seriously. There is also a lot of ADR work happening around for local and international shows. On the TV light entertainment/reality/etc. scene I believe it's much more one person operation, but I don't have much experience there.

On the downside the market seems to be oversaturated with editors and mixers alike so cutting it won't be the easiest of tasks. In-house jobs are next to impossible to acquire. Most of the folks are freelance.

Hope this helps.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post

On the downside the market seems to be oversaturated with editors and mixers alike so cutting it won't be the easiest of tasks. In-house jobs are next to impossible to acquire. Most of the folks are freelance.

Hope this helps.
I was told the same thing about LA before I moved here 5 years ago. About 3 months before the writers strike hit.
I still worked non-stop, and have made more money every year, than I ever did in Vancouver. And anybody who can move to one of the biggest film hubs in the English speaking world, wether that is Los Angeles or London, my suggestion is, don't hesitate.
EmilieB
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
On the TV light entertainment/reality/etc. scene I believe it's much more one person operation, but I don't have much experience there
Yeah that's exactly what I've assumed. Which I guess is similar to here. I know a fair few people working in TV in London but no one really in film. And certainly no fellow dialogue editors! I'm glad to hear you say it's important to choose a path. That reassures me

Toronto is a pretty exciting place to be industry-wise. More and more work is coming to Ontario because of the tax incentives. And what with TIFF getting bigger and bigger every year.... it's a busy city.

And yeah, our facility is rare in that all of the editors are in-house. There are pros and cons to that I guess. Becoming freelance will be hard but I'm sort of looking forward to the challenge. That's what I say now.....
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Head

Not wishing to be a harbinger of gloom but it's not the most vibrant it's ever been right now in the UK for Film sound post production. There is a lot in production but the vast majority goes back to the US for post. To break into some of the already established sound post crews is, whilst not impossible, difficult due to too little product and too many people. I would be delighted for you to return to the UK, immediately start work and prove me wrong. Good luck wherever you end up.
EmilieB
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

hahaha!

Yeah we get a fair few UK productions coming here for post. It's a tell-tale sign!

I still thoroughly appreciate the opinion though.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search