Catchin' Sync -new sync-checking app
New Reply
Subscribe
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerophonics View Post
Funny how everyone is quick to dismiss this app and the iPhone camera as not very accurate when people are readily also dismissing the mojo (which is the most accurate video solution for Pro Tools - albeit SD) and playing rubbery quick times in Pro Tools.. Mojo for me and 100% accuracy thank you

Cheers
There are also people who say syncheck is dead based on a product announcement

I guess we'll have to wait till someone has actually measured the accuracy of the app.

Whould also be important to check if the accuracy differs depending on the hardware (iphone, iPad and the generation of hardware).

The good thing about the syncheck is that it's accurate and will always be since apple can't change the achitechture running under the hood.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
Sure, they are free to use for anyone.
Thanks!
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear nut

I gave it a shot yesterday. And I should also state that I have never used a Syncheck on my system (though if anyone in St Louis has one, I'd love to rent/borrow it from you).

By eye, my native based PT system was always about 9qf out. This app says 1qf... Loaded up a few clips that I know are in sync and played them back. Things look a bit off now...

However, this very well likely could just be user error on my part. The app is a bit touchy, and I wish I could zoom in more on the video scrub, as well as the wave form to line things up more accurately.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerins View Post
I gave it a shot yesterday. And I should also state that I have never used a Syncheck on my system (though if anyone in St Louis has one, I'd love to rent/borrow it from you).

By eye, my native based PT system was always about 9qf out. This app says 1qf... Loaded up a few clips that I know are in sync and played them back. Things look a bit off now...

However, this very well likely could just be user error on my part. The app is a bit touchy, and I wish I could zoom in more on the video scrub, as well as the wave form to line things up more accurately.
Are the videos that now look out of sync the same CODEC as the video you used to calculate the offset?
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear nut

Used ProRes for everything. Routed into my typical post-prod template so that everything would be the same. I think I just need to mess with the app a bit more.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Good thread...

so my situation is..... i can luckily afford a Syncheck3.... i own and run a very nice mix room... some work for film & tv.

and i dont want to take any chances.... i want stuff to look spot on.

should i just buy a Syncheck3? and not mess around with the $14 app?

yes i understand that Syncheck3 will be more accurate than the app.

?
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

A heads up guys.
We have come across some irregularities on iphone4's.
We are working on sorting this out, until then iPhone 4 users should hold back on measurements.
We'll announce fix and update soon.

Automatic volume riding for Pro Tools®
Wave Rider RTAS and AAX for Win and Mac.
64 & 32 bits

Our Facebook Page
http://www.automaticmixing.com

Catchin' SYNC app now @ up to 120fps recording!!
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
A heads up guys.
We have come across some irregularities on iphone4's.
We are working on sorting this out, until then iPhone 4 users should hold back on measurements.
We'll announce fix and update soon.
That might be my issue then.
Can't wait to see the update!
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear Head

(Sorry for bouncing an oldish thread.)
Does anyone have any experience of using this with an iPhone 3Gs?
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear nut

I do not own an iPhone so I cannot answer you directly, but last year I bought the app and ran a couple of short, admittedly informal, tests using an iPod and iPad Touch 4, which are listed in the iTunes store as being compatible.

www.pharoahaudio.com/ideviceapp.html

There is a small chart toward the bottom of the page. The variety of results were obtained from the same flash-pip source.

Disclaimer: I am biased. I would encourage others who have the app and an iPhone to do similar tests with hand claps and report them.
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

We are about to finalize an update to the app. We replaced the video engine which was giving mixed results on certain devices as stated on the Apple Store and our website.
Iphone 5 users are getting good accuracy.
In the latest version each device's error amount will be compensated.
As soon as I get my hands on a 3Gs, I will be exposing it to our test environment.
25th February 2013
Old 25th February 2013
Gear nut

I look forward to your update.
25th February 2013
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear

wow. thanks for posting that test. pretty much renders that initial claim that it's accurate down to 1/4 frames obsolete.

if the reliability of the app is dependent on hardware and software it's already useless for me. a meter is a meter is a meter and needs to be a reference at all time not just a "kind of accurate, but not always, and only after the next update 4 weeks from now"-app. that's exactly what QT in PT is at the moment and I need one reliable reference not another variable.

also a meter without specs about accuracy beyond "pretty accurate" is not really a serious contender.
25th February 2013
Old 25th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
also a meter without specs about accuracy beyond "pretty accurate" is not really a serious contender.
+1000
7th April 2013
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear

Hi guys. So we have a new version up. Sorry it took a while.
This version fixes the video capture to 30fps. Apple's capture engine was unreliable that sometimes the resulting video could be anywhere from 24fps to 30fps. Now Catchin' Sync measurements are more accurate.

There's also a device offset field now in the settings, where you can enter the known device offset to compensate for the outcome.
The current list can be found here
I will put other devices as I get to test them, but for now it's only the listed ones that are tested.

Cheers
7th April 2013
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will put other devices as I get to test them.
I hope you're using syncheck to test them.
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
I hope you're using syncheck to test them.
We use a device that also utilises opto-electronics.
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear interested

I just purchased this for my iPhone 4S after this latest update, and can confirm (once entering the appropriate offset for my device) that I'm getting results that ARE consistent with our Syncheck 2. Don't have a Syncheck 3 to compare it to.

Yes, I know having both the Syncheck 2 and CatchinSync are redundant, but I was curious to see how the two compared. I used both the video files on the QuietArt site as well as the ones supplied by Pharoah Audio for my (very unscientific) tests.

I don't have a bias one way or the other since they both approach it from two different directions, but just wanted to share my results of the two, since I had both available.
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

appreciate that.... since I couldn't justify buying a syncheck to use just once or maybe once a year....
thanks
rsp
27th February 2014
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

We have updated Catchin' SYNC to 1.0.7, free to existing users.
With the new version comes high frame rate recording, dramatically increasing the accuracy of measurements.
Iphone 5 users can record at 60fps, and iPhone 5s users can do at a whopping 120fps!

There are also 2 new buttons to make frame by frame adjustments easier.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/catc...1912?ls=1&mt=8
Catchin' Sync

As a side note, the app can also be used to measure distances of sound making events such as lightning, flare guns, bouncing balls etc.

If you own an iPhone, it's really a no-brainer for someone dealing with post, even if I say so myself.
27th February 2014
Old 27th February 2014
Gear interested

I have tested an purchased the App. It took me a while to dial it in properly. But I am as well getting the same results from my sync Check 2 and this APP.

For the engineers that come into our place its a good thing for me to quickly show them that we are A OK for sync here..

I personally like the APP. even if its a Kunt Hair Off! which i haven't found yet.

kd
28th February 2014
Old 28th February 2014
Gear addict

+- a frame is way to inaccurate for professional use. Great app got setting up and entertainment center tho.
28th February 2014
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Head

I'm slightly confused. Is the Catchin' Sync app able to show you the offset in milliseconds or only +/- frames? Also, if it is able to show the offset in milliseconds, what is the inherent offset - if any - within, say, an i-pad3?
28th February 2014
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN HUMPHREYS View Post
I'm slightly confused. Is the Catchin' Sync app able to show you the offset in milliseconds or only +/- frames? Also, if it is able to show the offset in milliseconds, what is the inherent offset - if any - within, say, an i-pad3?
Hi Dean,
It can show milliseconds or frames/quarter frames.
Ipad 3 offset is 29ms audio advanced, which you can enter into the app.
Other devices are listed here:
Devices | Catchin' Sync

Brandoncross, I agree +- a frame is too large. However this is not our claim. Where did you get that from?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search