The Hobbit
New Reply
Subscribe
jackdanny
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear Head

The Hobbit

Got back from a screening of The Hobbit and thought I'd say how great it sounded! Lots of mixed reviews out there but I went in not having great expectations but ended up thoroughly enjoying it. The HFR format did look a bit odd at times but seemed to make the 3D slightly clearer.
The mix sounded great in the theatre I saw it. Heard every line of dialogue well (sometimes struggled with Gollum but that was more a performance thing). Lovely subtle ambience surround stuff (loved the rain!) and impressive battle sound design bits!
Well done to anyone here involved I was pleasantly surprised and looking forward to next one!
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Gear Head

Still have yet to see it. I personally find Hobbit movies boring, but I bet it sounds great!
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Gear Head

Did you watch the film in Dolby Atmos? Haven't heard much about the sound mix yet, debating if it should be the first film I see in the new format.
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Gear interested

I've watched it in Dolby Atmos at GVMax Singapore last week. It's my first Atmos experience.

Story wise, I agree the Hobbit is pretty tiring--more because most of the scene is just too long (Director whom also the Producer thing perhaps).
Sound wise, I think it's beautifully designed and mixed. It used and demonstrate Atmos capabilities "wisely"--just enough.
They makes fun of using it for snoring dwarf.

I think the greatest strength in Atmos is the use of five main speakers in the front and the subs in the surround. It really open up the space for busy mix.

Looking forward for more Atmos film.

Last edited by Bokir; 17th December 2012 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: Accidentally post empty post
jackdanny
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtrick View Post
Did you watch the film in Dolby Atmos? Haven't heard much about the sound mix yet, debating if it should be the first film I see in the new format.
Unfortunately not. Atmos hasn't quite made it to my local multiplex yet! Would be very interested to compare my experience with that format though.
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Gear maniac

I also saw it in a non atmos theater. I think it sounded good but the center speaker kept getting a digital overload int he 2-4k range so the dialog became very fatiguing. The worst part is nobody else noticed it and the manager of the theater didn't believe me.
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Gear Head

I'm seeing it tonight in Atmos at Silvercity Yonge Eglinton in Toronto. It will also be my first Atmos experience. Ill let you guys know after.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

2D in LA no Atmos

Story left a little...

Too loud, theater likely though. Santa Monica 3rd Street. 110dbfs many times - mid row.

I did however like the effects, creature and world. very rich and creative, brought a lot to the game. Gollum was better this time. Bilbo was lacking in the acting dept and Gandalf felt like he phones it in.

Oh, and why was every shot a crane shot... almost got sick on all the movement and visual drops over cliffs. (maybe my age though - hahah)
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I can't bring myself to waste menu following another trilogy, that was stretched fom one book.
By the third "RINGS" movie, I was over it.
And found the third one actually dreadfully boring.
What I remember fom those movies really was just a lot of walking.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear Head

Haven't had time to post my thoughts but Atmos is amazing. The level of immersion and clarity that can be created with the soundscape is like nothing I've experienced before. What I noticed is that they seemed to pull a lot of fx that would normally play from LCR and put them in the overheads closest to the screen. It actually felt a lot more natural and created tons of space for the mix to breathe.

Overall I was very impressed and I really can't wait to see more movies in Atmos. It's definitely something that will keep me going back to the movies.

Also: I saw it in 48fps 3D and the 48fps was amazing for 3D. I wouldn't see a 3D movie any other way now.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012

My Recordings/Credits

I just slept thru 2 and 1/2 hours of THE HOBBIT yesterday. I was really looking forward to seeing this, but I was severely underwhelmed. Production was amazing, sound was very sweet, but it was more of an action film than the book I read years ago. I'm severely disappointed. It was just one fight scene after another with a brief bit of the book in between. Then after wasting $20 to see it, I come home and find an Academy screener of THE HOBBIT sitting on my desk.

I'll wait for the screeners for the next 2 films...

cheers
geo
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I can't bring myself to waste menu following another trilogy, that was stretched fom one book.
By the third "RINGS" movie, I was over it.
And found the third one actually dreadfully boring.
Mark...you realize there were no cars nor public transit back then, right?
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

My two cents would be:
Found it very padded overall and I'm admittedly a bit jaded after seeing and loving The Lord of the Rings as audio/video technicals. The high frame rate, frankly, annoyed the p*ss outta me. I just don't dig that look. My mixer brain was really fragmented 'being immersed' in a scene that looks like it was taking place in front of you but had MOVIE SCORE MOVIE SCORE MOVIE SCORE telling me how to 'feel' about a scene. I was really messed up till about 3/4 through with the whole 'look'. That's just me. Also disappointed in the cash grab by splitting a 260+pp book into 3 2.5 hr movies. Like I said, padded.

Sound-wise, thought it all fit very well. 'hear the ring/see the ring' obviously, and it was a non-atmos event up here in the sticks but, instead, typical audio playback which we're used to up here. Found playback volume was a little 'under' but it's actually nice to be able to hear almost all the dialogue without effort and the environments were quite nice and detailed. Great job by the mix and design crew! Enjoyed it aurally. Visually -- spoiler but not really if you've seen the Lord of the Rings films--visually it was engaging, intriguing overall, with what I thought was a great sequence with the eagles and the detail there. Caught a few 'eyeline' things. Gollum was fantastically done, improvements on previous, I thought. And, meh to the whole smooth HFR. I am just used to blinking 23.98 times per second...

Jeff

Partials: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0358864/
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Head

Just saw it in Atmos 3D and HFR. Sitting in the "sweet spot", I thought the mix sounded great, but was a bit too loud as my ears started tiring out towards the end of the film. But other than that Atmos is really an interesting experience.

I'm not a huge fan of 3D, and coupled with the HFR I found it took some time to get used to. But overall I enjoyed it, not a big fan of the LOTR series but went for the sound experience.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

+1 for being annoyed by constant music trying to tell the audience that they should be amused/scared/saddened.
I found it quite long, and have serious doubts about the necessity of 2 other films. One would be quite enough to tell the rest of the story.
And frankly a single movie would have been much better. But then Elves speak so slowly that you have to have the extraaaaaaaaaa tiiiiiiiiiiiiime to fit all the dialog in...

Best scene was the Gollum scene. Great acting and motion capture from Serkis, a bit underwhelmed by Freeman's acting though.

Paris, France
Heavy Nuendo users

"I don't care what they're talking about, I just want a nice fat recording" Harry Caul
My blog: http://www.filmmixer.eu
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
CEO - Z-Shift LLC

I really don't want to see it, but the wife does... Ugh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Sorry for the language in this clip, but it is just to perfect. Enjoy

21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
Sorry for the language in this clip, but it is just to perfect. Enjoy

You should see the whole movie.
Couldn't watch Clerks 1
Clerks 2 is hilarious.
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
You should see the whole movie.
Couldn't watch Clerks 1
Clerks 2 is hilarious.
One ring to rule them all!
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Late to the party, saw it in Imax 3D. I actually enjoyed it, probably more than I did LOTR. Sound was good, levels where perfect. The only thing I noticed was the dialogue being very clean and isolated. As if it had a limited frequency spectrum (lowpass at 16Khz?) and was extensively cleaned by editing and NR. I could hear NR artifacts on some lines and dialogue in general seemed seperated from the atmos. Most of the time the atmos where very subtle.
jackdanny
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Head

I thought that about the dialogue also. Made me wonder how much of the dialogue on a film like that would've been ADR? Most of the scenes set 'outside' seemed to have no real 'tone' around the dialogue.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdanny View Post
I thought that about the dialogue also. Made me wonder how much of the dialogue on a film like that would've been ADR? Most of the scenes set 'outside' seemed to have no real 'tone' around the dialogue.
Well obviously a lot of it was ADR, but yes it would be interesting to hear how much. But you're right, no real tone around it, not very "alive". Good use of distance (level and eq-wise), I liked the panning (generally not a fan of panned dialogue, but this was effective and not overused).
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Why would a lot of it be obviously ADR?
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

I've seen an enormous amount of green screen/windmachine sets in videoblogs and making of's. Can't imagine any useable audio coming from them... But I might be wrong?
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

I went to see it yesterday, 3D 48fps, 5.1. Sitting more or less in the sweetspot.

I thought it sounded really good. Dialogue was on the quiet side (in my theater) but it was ok because the dialogue was really clear and isolated. Great use of the surrounds in the forest, rain and battle scenes. I felt there was a lack of LFE and sometime weird/sudden use of it. but that could also be the theater being a bit too quiet. But all in all a very emersive experience.

Sound design was good, though at times a bit cliché or "underdesigned".

As for the 48fps 3D part, I thought it was cery strange. It looked very crisp, detailed and smooth but in my opinion very UNcinematic. My brain didn't link the realism with watching a movie. After a while you get used to it though, if you put your focus on the story.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by pethenis View Post
I've seen an enormous amount of green screen/windmachine sets in videoblogs and making of's. Can't imagine any useable audio coming from them... But I might be wrong?
Green screens aren't necessarily a problem. Wind machines can be.
Just never assume.
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via MSN to Patch Morrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by pethenis View Post
I liked the panning (generally not a fan of panned dialogue, but this was effective and not overused).
I really struggled with this, kinda thought at times it was very "hey we're using atmos!!! Look what we can do!!".
But it's new kit, I guess you gotta do that to reassure people that they are hearing something they haven't heard before.

Enjoyed the track overall though, just found some of the extreme panning distracting.
6th January 2013
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear

Didn't hear it in Dolby Atmos...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search