Login / Register

Where to demo new loudspeakers on the U.S. east coast?
New Reply
Subscribe
NReichman
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear addict

Where to demo new loudspeakers on the U.S. east coast?

My usual dealers in and around NYC don't have loudspeaker listening rooms with any variety in them. Where should I go to hear Genelec vs. JBL vs. Dynaudio? Or even better, PMC vs. ATC vs. Barefoot?

I need to upgrade my monitoring before the end of the year, and prepare for a surround gig next year.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear addict

Dale Pro Audio
Audio Power Tools
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear maniac

Dale Pro Audio
NReichman
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear addict

Thanks guys. Since GS is such a great resource, I thought I would share my listening notes here. I was in the market for a surround system in the $5k-10k range (satelllites, sub, and hopefully controller), for my 2600 cubic foot room. I do mostly television editing and mixing, with some classical and pop album work. I bought the JBL's and can't wait to set them up after Christmas. All listening was done in a good room, without the subwoofer and with a wide variety of challenging material. "Little box syndrome" was how I described my overall disappointment with all of these speakers. None of these are Barefoots, Snells, ATCs or Thiels.

Unity Audio Rocks: extreme high silkiness, surprising tight, low and accurate bass (the only sealed cabinets of all of these) reverb around singers incredibly revealed, but already well-mixed dialog sounded like it needed more de-essing. Suffered from little-box syndrome in the mids. Probably great for music-only mixing, not as useful for post with the totally unusual highs (everyone else in the world is listening on standard high-freq drivers, not ribbon).

Dynaudios BM6A: Too forward, biting, compressed in-your-face sound. Lots of detail, but no perception of depth or room.

Focal Solo 6be: famous Focal clarity in the mids and highs, but overall a little boxy, muddy in the mid-lows. Suffered from the little-box syndrome more than the rest.

Genelecs 8040A : Air, depth, detail, fabulous balance, but chunky for classical in the 100-200Hz range. Good for dialog, but annoying for music. Sounded like work. While being detailed, listening to well-mixed soundtrack cues wasn’t inviting because of that chunkiness.

JBLs 4328P: overall more reserved than Genelec, but not lacking in detail at all, just a little disconnected between drivers, small mid scoop, but no little-box sound at all, great air and great depth. Better for soundtrack classical listening, stereo location question: as good as Genelecs? Not sure, probably calibration would help.
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for the report! Did you go to Dale or were you able to get demo pairs set up in your room?
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear addict

I went to Audio Power Tools and Dale Pro Audio.

If budget allowed, I would like to have gone to Vintage King in LA. Oh well. Maybe next time.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear addict

I heard B&H setup a listening room as well.
NReichman
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear addict

I found out too late about the upgrade at B&H. Last year I was there and it was truly awful. They knew it, there was a big article about what they did to fix it and make their listening room work.

The headphone stand at B&H is the best I've ever been to. They have nearly everything, and the same piece of music is playing simultaneously through everything. It's great. For the audio-geeks it's like a playground...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search