Nuendo 6
Barajevic
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear Head

Nuendo 6

Quote:
What\'s new*:**|*http://www.steinberg.net/

Highlighting the world\'s most luxurious native mixing console, a complete ADR taker system and fully integrated EBU-compliant loudness metering, Nuendo 6 is the most advanced audio post-production environment available today. With a whole new workflow experience and seamless integration into the Nuage system, the sixth generation of Nuendo is a one-stop solution for audio-to-picture work.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

About 10 years too late.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Looks nice, anyone tried it? Video/sync etc ok?

philp
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

What about it is ten years late hench?
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
What about it is ten years late hench?
Features that had been asked for when they still had the chance to be a force to be reckoned with.
Instead, Stinberg wasted their time, not listening to post production Professionals. And completely missed the boat, and their window of opportunity.

Stuff like simply importing tracks from ther sessions. A conform package. A bussing that allowed stem creation by bussing busesses to busses. And bussing tracks to multiple busses.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

I think it's a good competitor to keep Protools from standing still.

This is has some tracktion outside the US, and it does combine a good bunch of tools in to one, including ADR taker systems. Then there's EuCon integration, which is pretty good.

A good backend. And a better demo deal too, if they keep the 400 hours deal. Nice. I hope Protools borrows some ideas from it if possible.

Anyone know if VCAs have made an entrance in Nuendo yet ? I find those highly useful for drilling down to mixes. Maybe those visibility selections are a good substitute for that though.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Features that had been asked for when they still had the chance to be a force to be reckoned with.
Instead, Stinberg wasted their time, not listening to post production Professionals. And completely missed the boat, and their window of opportunity.

Stuff like simply importing tracks from ther sessions. A conform package. A bussing that allowed stem creation by bussing busesses to busses. And bussing tracks to multiple busses.
Honestly, having both Nuendo and ProTools HD I have to admit that Nuendo meanwhile outperforms ProTools in many regards. Two years back I was 70% on ProTools and 30% on Nuendo, but it changes to the opposite. Yes, there are features in PT I'd love to see in Nuendo (session data exchange please!!!!) and Nuendo is far from being complete. But comparing automation, routing, cue mix, video overlay, whole post-editing side, sound content search, MIDI, composing, networking with each other, I would say PT has to catch up even compared to N5.5.

Looking forward to the ADR Taker in N6. I've still missed the ability to display the dialog on screen while dubbing. Now tell me that PT offers integrated ADR .........still love working on PT but when I see the progress at Steiny/Yamaha and the situation at Avid, I think Nuendo 6 is finally becoming the better post-tool. I don't believe they "missed the window" as I'm wondering how long PT can just live from being "the standard".
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Looks like they include Anymix Pro 1.3 by IOSONO.
Not that I consider to go to Nuendo, but maybe a sign to Avid to include something like that (sorry Maggot) in Pro Tools HD11
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xecutionist007 View Post
Agreed, most studios outside the US like myself cannot really afford a whole Pro-Tools HD rig.
What????
Nuendo 5, software only is about $2300
What about the pro interface? Another 3-4K.
An HD Native (including PT HD10), plus Avid Omni interface can be found for 4-5K
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

I must say, together with the new Nuage control system:

Nuage System Solution

Nuendo 6-nr20121114_nuage.jpg
Nuendo 6-f4a5340d5c.jpg

It looks like a package I could work on! Looks great.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear Head

Understandably many ProTools owners use PT because of compatibility issues - a uniformity that allows moving from studio to studio very easy. But, if the compatibility issues were not a major part of using it, how many owners would change to another manufacturer? Do PT owners fundamentally feel that there are better systems out there, but can't change for obvious reasons, or do they think it's the best system even if compatibility wasn't an issue?

IF Avid closes what systems would existing PT users change to?

Many PT user/owner friends of mine are already making enquiries about other systems due to the obvious concern about Avid.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
One thing in PT is unbeatable - it works like a hardware console.
I always hated the Steinberg bussing logic.
Also Pro Tools is the most simple audio DAW around (and maybe software at all). You can do the same thing in multiple ways. However the better you know the system, the faster you work.
I tried teaching Pro Tools my interns and they are totally independent after two days of two hours each "course".
Many times I had my hands on nuendo I felt like "please give me my Pro Tools back".
With being said I admit that I am lazy to learn another program as I see no reason for fighting my laziness
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

I had been using Nuendo for years, but eventually switched to Pro Tools many years ago. I really loved some aspects of Nuendo, but in other aspects it was lacking.

The ADR stuff seems to be a very good addition, but for example some of the "mixer" window improvements are available in Pro Tools for a long time.
It is always like this. This new version has something Pro Tools doesn't have. Then the next Pro Tools version will introduce something Nuendo does not have, etc.

At the end I think it is good that Pro Tools has some serious competitors. Hopefully we, the users will benefit from this "race".
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

When I see a really good fast PT user, his fingers and hand moves at great speed hammering hundreds of keystrokes in rapid succession.
When I see a really good fast Nuendo user, in general he moves slower, strikes less keystrokes but often accomplishes more things in the same amount of time.

Obviously this is NOT true for everything.
PT does have features that I'd love to see in Nuendo. The groups (seems to be coming if I understood in N6) VCA's (not sure if in N6) the playlist handling, built in metadata based location sound conforming (not very good yet but working in PT), proper automation follows events and the fact that there are proper re-conform tools that doesnt force me to jump through hoops.

But Nuendo does have it's strong points that I just can't live without.
Event based editing, automatable bus routing, offline exports, networking, built in search engine (not as good as soundminer but being integrated has its pro's), configurable keycommands that let's me define my own working environment, macro's, PLE (Project Logical Editor, it's bloody magic) and still better Eucon integration (but I'm sure this will not always be the case), EDL import to generate markertracks for scene changes and video cuts automatically, CSV import/export for dealing with ADR, undoable offline process history (Audio suite in PT lingo).
In addition to the above the new stuff coming in N6.

So I'll be staying right here :-)
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Thumbs up for Nuendo 6 and Nuage!
I'm on Pro Tools (HD) myself and I love it, but we have to admit that for post Nuendo has quite a few advantages over PT. ADR Taker, MediaBay, Loudness metering,... The only reason everyone is on Pro Tools is because everyone is on Pro Tools.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear maniac

Any idea why Steiny decided to include 1.5 GB of sound effects in the new version? And more important (for those of us with established setups, at least)... will the sfx have SoundMiner compatible metadata?

--

+1 with those who switched from PT to Nuendo. Not a question of price - a full-blown rig for either one costs about the same, in terms of a studio investment - but speed. I can do what I need much faster in Nuendo. YMMV.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Still no session data import option and no vca makes it a nonstarter for me.
Can you buss a buss to a buss yet?
Or buss to multiple busses?
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
You can fully automate mix busses to whatever destination you want, that's already in 5.5. I believe also to multiple busses. VCA is WAY overrated in my eyes. I have lived well without it for the last 10 years and won't need it for the next.

How can two single features be a no-go for anyone for the whole app? Compare the workflow with each other. The editing side alone makes it worth to at least have a Nuendo rig beside PT. I'm about 30% faster editing the same stuff in Nuendo compared to PT, and I'm a quite passionate user of both platforms.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
If Nuendo really can't import tracks/session data, how do you swap data, bring edit sessions into mix templates, update re-edited tracks when working with multiple sound editors....?

(I don't know if it does or not, but it sounds like a no go for my methods)

Rob Walker AMPS
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN View Post
You can fully automate mix busses to whatever destination you want, that's already in 5.5. I believe also to multiple busses. VCA is WAY overrated in my eyes. I have lived well without it for the last 10 years and won't need it for the next.

How can two single features be a no-go for anyone for the whole app? Compare the workflow with each other. The editing side alone makes it worth to at least have a Nuendo rig beside PT. I'm about 30% faster editing the same stuff in Nuendo compared to PT, and I'm a quite passionate user of both platforms.
There is absolutely no way I could work without being able to import session data. Same goes with VCA's. Especially when mixing score stems.
But the no importing session data is a really big one.

And seeing as how I pretty much only mix. How much time it saves in editing is completely unimportant to me. I also remember the last time I mixed a series in Nuendo, it was actually a nightmare. The automation was really funky and clunky. I think it was in 5.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Where did you get this information Henchman? Nuendo DOES have track import/export feature. It's been there for years! Since version 4 at least. You can import whole or parts of sessions via Nuendo's native XML. Yes, including inserts, sends, automation and what not. Also, since version 5.5 you can import region groups (such as multi-track elements) by dragging and dropping from MediaBay.
What's really annoying me in PT is that you cannot select a portion of an audio file to import, you have to trim after import. In Nuendo you can select a particular single gunshot from a long audio file and drop it to your session.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
Where did you get this information Henchman? Nuendo DOES have track import/export feature. It's been there for years! Since version 4 at least. You can import whole or parts of sessions via Nuendo's native XML. Yes, including inserts, sends, automation and what not. Also, since version 5.5 you can import region groups (such as multi-track elements) by dragging and dropping from MediaBay.
What's really annoying me in PT is that you cannot select a portion of an audio file to import, you have to trim after import. In Nuendo you can select a particular single gunshot from a long audio file and drop it to your session.
No, I need to be able to import tracks and data directly from another Nuendo session. I don't want to have to open up a Nuendo session. Export tracks. Then open up another session and import. This is crucial own the Dubstage.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Hench, that is an area where pt kills Nuendo no doubt.
It's all about workflow, yes it will be slower if not prepped for import into a mix project. But as a mixer I dictate how the project will be set up so I'll mix in the project delivered and just import my extra bussing if needed simple as pie.
If not prepped to my liking I will have to deal with the workaround opening the project exporting the tracks and then import into the other project. Yes it's cumbersome. Also the pt match tracks is good to.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Nuendo does have trim support for automation, which with groups may go some way to helping people live withot VCAs. Ride a group in trim mode. Like instant coalescing. VCAs are cleaner and easier to correct, as it's just one track, but I do hope Nuendo gets around to that.

Does anyone know how to manage large amounts of tracks , for example by quick spread of a group to a dedicated group of faders ? I do that on Icons a lot by drilling in down to VCA slaves.

How would you do that in Nuendo, or in Nuendo 6 perhaps ?
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Indeed. It amazes me that other DAW developers never copied the import session data paradigm. VCA's for some reason I understand better. Not because it isn't nearly as essential but I can more easily understand people not "getting it" if they haven't used it. But "not getting" the practicality of import session data just boggles my mind...

Quote:
Yes to routing busses to busses and... more or less yes to routing to multiple busses by using sends. At least in Cubase. Maybe Nuendo has extra features... This is not very elegant to say the least... PT's routing is miles ahead.

Alistair
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

The "Loudness Lane" is interesting. It looks like it writes a loudness curve like an automation lane so you get a visual of the loudness over the timeline.

I've always wanted to like Nuendo but I never got used to the workflow. And it seems like every version has some sort of bug that never gets fixed (OMF issues, video, etc...) which seems unacceptable in a "Pro" DAW. PT has bugs in every version but they usually manage to sort them out with an update.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Looking at the "Nuage" product page on Yamaha's website shows a touch sensitive area on the fader panel that uses gesture control to move between channels and fader banks. That could be neat. I like the look of the steel jog wheel but I can't tell if it has any sort of grippy area on it.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

Looking at the nu-age controller, all I see is a lot of real estate, and not enough knobs.
What a waste of space.
14th November 2012
Old 14th November 2012
Gear interested

Import Session Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Indeed. It amazes me that other DAW developers never copied the import session data paradigm. VCA's for some reason I understand better. Not because it isn't nearly as essential but I can more easily understand people not "getting it" if they haven't used it. But "not getting" the practicality of import session data just boggles my mind...

Yes to routing busses to busses and... more or less yes to routing to multiple busses by using sends. At least in Cubase. Maybe Nuendo has extra features... This is not very elegant to say the least... PT's routing is miles ahead.

Alistair
Logic has been importing session data from V8.
15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
What????
Nuendo 5, software only is about $2300
What about the pro interface? Another 3-4K.
An HD Native (including PT HD10), plus Avid Omni interface can be found for 4-5K
Nuendo 5 software is about $1800, not $2300.

As for a "pro interface" it's really a matter of what's needed. That's the beauty of it. You can get a really good LYNX card for like 8-900. So that's a total of $2600...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search