New Reply
Subscribe
deriklang
13th July 2006
Old 13th July 2006
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to deriklang
Words you can't say on the radio

does anyone know or know where i can get a list of words you can't say on the radio(fm).

I'm supposed to edit all the "bad" words out of a song for the radio, but i'm not sure what words i can let slide and which ones get the boot.

thanks, d
14th July 2006
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

I think best use your discretion.

Cursives / anything deragatory (bitch etc.)

Would you say it to your Grandma?, then 'beep' it.
14th July 2006
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

See us on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/auroraaudio
http://www.auroraaudio.net/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may1...off-tanner.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Window-Past-Ge...8737082&sr=1-9
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com

For quicker responses, please use my email (Geoff at auroraaudio.net) in preference to pm's and visitor messages!
Lou Judson
14th July 2006
Old 14th July 2006
Lou Judson

Ask George Carlin!

Actually there are seven of them and you can find out in the FCC regs.
14th July 2006
Old 14th July 2006
Gear Head

You can also find them on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

Quote:
* shit
* piss Allowed on occasion for broadcast television in both senses (Anger and Urination).
* cocksucker
* mother****er
* tits
lol - I tried to quote the wikipedia page, but apparently there are 3 dirty words here on gearslutz tutt
14th July 2006
Old 14th July 2006
Led
Lives for gear

I'm not sure about the US but you can just about f&%*in say whatever ya sonofabi&%în want on our F*$%ed up media, provided you don't overc&^$%ng do it. It changes from station to station as to what they call a dirty word, but probably better to be safe than take too many #&$holing mother&#(*ing chances that those c(#$t will think it's okay. If there's any words you're unsure about post em and we'll all have a good f&^%$ng look.
14th July 2006
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriklang
does anyone know or know where i can get a list of words you can't say on the radio(fm).

I'm supposed to edit all the "bad" words out of a song for the radio, but i'm not sure what words i can let slide and which ones get the boot.

thanks, d
I just had to take a silly test on this bullcrap. Anymore, the FCC is really nailing folks. I'm even starting to hear these old classic rock songs that were never censored being censored now. Anyway, the 7 words Carlin spoke of are myth now, meaning you can get popped for far less. The problem is that th FCC isn't just popping people for certain words. They look at each indescretion individually and factor in the word or words used, the context, was it for shock value, time of day, location in the USA. The list goes on and on. Unfortunately there is NOT a clear line as to what is acceptable.

To be sure, follow C Heats advice. Another good barometer, if you have to ask yourself if something should be bleeped, it probably should.

So much for free speech, eh?

Ringtone Mafia (Link only works on iDevices)
14th July 2006
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo
I just had to take a silly test on this bullcrap. Anymore, the FCC is really nailing folks. I'm even starting to hear these old classic rock songs that were never censored being censored now. Anyway, the 7 words Carlin spoke of are myth now, meaning you can get popped for far less. The problem is that th FCC isn't just popping people for certain words. They look at each indescretion individually and factor in the word or words used, the context, was it for shock value, time of day, location in the USA. The list goes on and on. Unfortunately there is NOT a clear line as to what is acceptable.

To be sure, follow C Heats advice. Another good barometer, if you have to ask yourself if something should be bleeped, it probably should.

So much for free speech, eh?
Hi

What I don't understand... coming from the UK and still fathoming the logic of American infrastructure... is when did the FCC get a mandate to censor the content of programming?

Surely their role in the business is to monitor the airwaves for interference sources and distribute new frequencies when they become available. Their's should be a technical role and I can't see how they got to be the nation's censors.

Has it always been like this?

14th July 2006
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T
Hi

What I don't understand... coming from the UK and still fathoming the logic of American infrastructure... is when did the FCC get a mandate to censor the content of programming?

Surely their role in the business is to monitor the airwaves for interference sources and distribute new frequencies when they become available. There's should be a technical role and I can't see how they got to be the nation's censors.

At least since 1970. That is the oldest indecency fine I could find. Funny thing is that fine, due to Jerry Garcia dropping a bunch of profanities on the air, was only $100. Now I believe the fine for indecency is $350,000!!! And they aren't just fining the broadcast station, but the responsible party who uttered the 'profanity' get's to split that with the station. I'm not sure if that is a law, but I know that Clear Channel Radio is happily splitting fines with employees who are indecent on the air. OUCH!
15th July 2006
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Sensorship ****ing sucks.

**** sensorship!
15th July 2006
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T
Hi

Surely their role in the business is to monitor the airwaves for interference sources and distribute new frequencies when they become available. Their's should be a technical role and I can't see how they got to be the nation's censors.

In 1608 a group of Puritan separatists, attempting to escape religious persecution, fled England for the Netherlands. They remained there until 1620, but, fearing that they were losing their cultural identity, they decided to settle in Delaware in the New World.*

It's been downhill ever since, as far as this topic is concerned.

(*thanks to David Cody, Associate Professor of English, Hartwick College)
28th August 2008
Old 28th August 2008
Gear addict

Lets come up with 7 words not on that list which would be fun to say on the radio:

I nominate CHODE for #1. Who's got #2?
28th August 2008
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Geoff,

The US Government owns the airwaves, and leases the frequencies, the task of regulating these airwaves is assigned to the FCC. They are the almighty powerfull!!

Althoughthey can not regulate cable or satellite subscrption service

Thats why Howard Stern went to Sirius.

Obscenity, Indecency & Profanity - Frequently Asked Questions
28th August 2008
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
but i'm not sure what words i can let slide and which ones get the boot.
Would anyone in Brooklyn??

****in A
28th August 2008
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Would anyone in Brooklyn??

****in A
I live and work in Brooklyn... in fact, while reading this post, an older women yelled out.. how many times have I told you not to park in front of my ****ing driveway

You spent how much on your mac? Woah!
28th August 2008
Old 28th August 2008

My Recordings/Credits

would you ***holes stop ****ing swearing. You are offending my lady-like sensibilities...tutt

COUGH, HACK, LOL...Hork soda out my nose... Sorry, couldn't do that with a straight face.

The FCC doesn't care one iota about profanity. Their job is to manage and enforce laws regarding the airwaves. Some asshole in congress got the profanity law passed, so now the poor chaps at the FCC are stuck enforcing them.

FCC original mandate...

"...ensure that the American people have available, at reasonable costs and without discrimination, rapid, efficient, Nation- and world-wide communication services; whether by radio, television, wire, satellite, or cable..."

The FCC's strategic plan for 2006-2011 outlines a path that ensures that an orderly framework exists within which communications products and services can be quickly and reasonably provided to consumers and businesses. Equally important, the plan also addresses the communications aspects of public safety, health, and emergency operations; ensures the universal availability of basic telecommunications service; makes communications services accessible to all people; and protects and informs consumers about their rights.

cheers
geo

PS: my Grandfather George E. Sterling was an FCC commissioner under Truman.
28th August 2008
Old 28th August 2008
Lives for gear

29th August 2008
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

EDF
2nd August 2011
Old 2nd August 2011
EDF
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to EDF Send a message via MSN to EDF Send a message via Yahoo to EDF Send a message via Skype™ to EDF
A decent method is just listening to the radio in your local town and take cues from what they have cut out. I know TV is a LOT more stricter than radio in terms of profanity, especially musically.
2nd August 2011
Old 2nd August 2011
GS Community Manager

My Recordings/Credits

Things you wouldn't expect will get censored at the corporate level too... Foster The People's 'Pumped Up Kicks' had the words 'gun' and 'bullet' censored by MTVU in the US, apparently. That's TV, of course, but nonetheless...

Gearslutz on Facebook!

My personal Twitter - @WhitecatTV
2nd August 2011
Old 2nd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
Things you wouldn't expect will get censored at the corporate level too... Foster The People's 'Pumped Up Kicks' had the words 'gun' and 'bullet' censored by MTVU in the US, apparently. That's TV, of course, but nonetheless...

so let me get this straight... in the states, any adult can buy a gun, hell you have the RIGHT to it.... but cant mention it in song?

you americans are a strange lot!
RTR
2nd August 2011
Old 2nd August 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

What a difference time makes..Our radio station is so bad I will not let my kids listen to it! soon people will be allowed to have sex in the middle of a playground...Laugh now but in the 50's people wold have NEVER thought that the crap they allow on TV and radio would get to where it is now!
2nd August 2011
Old 2nd August 2011
GS Community Manager

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
so let me get this straight... in the states, any adult can buy a gun, hell you have the RIGHT to it.... but cant mention it in song?

you americans are a strange lot!
well, again, it's corporate censorship in this case rather than government censorship... but nonetheless...
2nd August 2011
Old 2nd August 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
What a difference time makes..Our radio station is so bad I will not let my kids listen to it! soon people will be allowed to have sex in the middle of a playground...
It is a bit strange that society finds the thing we all owe our lives to to be somehow dirty and shameful, don't you think?

This is an interesting watch: This Film Is Not Yet Rated (2006) - IMDb

Quote:
Laugh now but in the 50's people wold have NEVER thought that the crap they allow on TV and radio would get to where it is now!
It is what people do in the real world that worries me most. Not what some silly celebrity says on some stupid show...

Alistair

"There's a sucker born every minute" -- P.T. Barnum
2nd August 2011
Old 2nd August 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to insomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
It is what people do in the real world that worries me most. Not what some silly celebrity says on some stupid show...
It's like the "wardrobe malfunction" years back. Heaven forbid we see an exposed breast on television! How dare they! Change the channel, that show about the psycho serial killer who dismembers people in slow motion is on at 8 on network primetime!

samejnes.com | IMDb | Analog Jitter
3rd August 2011
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room with a View Productions
Oberlin, OH 44074
www.acoustikmusik.com

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 19 years in the mastering business in 2014
RTR
3rd August 2011
Old 3rd August 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
It is a bit strange that society finds the thing we all owe our lives to to be somehow dirty and shameful, don't you think?

This is an interesting watch: This Film Is Not Yet Rated (2006) - IMDb

Alistair
YA that does not bother me...but Brittany talking about group sex kinda does, at least when my little girls are right there! Guess I am just a prude
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Gear addict

You can say anything you want over the air. IF nobody complains.

There is no list or set of standards in the law. The FCC only goes after broadcasters when someone complains, as far as the test I have to take every 2 years says. If not a single person had complained about the Janet Jackson incident, the FCC wouldn't have done anything.

The standards are set by the comunity. If the local comunity thinks something is profane, it's bad. If they don't, it's not. You can say f**k all day and get away with it untill someone complains. If they do, then you need to grab those air-check tapes you've been keeping all this time.
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxd Ped View Post
You can say anything you want over the air. IF nobody complains.

There is no list or set of standards in the law. The FCC only goes after broadcasters when someone complains, as far as the test I have to take every 2 years says. If not a single person had complained about the Janet Jackson incident, the FCC wouldn't have done anything.

The standards are set by the comunity. If the local comunity thinks something is profane, it's bad. If they don't, it's not. You can say f**k all day and get away with it untill someone complains. If they do, then you need to grab those air-check tapes you've been keeping all this time.
from the FCC website

The Commission asks complainants to provide the following information: (1) the date and time of the alleged broadcast; (2) the call sign or the frequency of the station involved; and (3) the name of the program, the DJ personality, and the city and state; (4) information regarding the details of what was actually said (or depicted) during the alleged indecent or obscene broadcast. With respect to item (4), in making indecency determinations, context is key! The Commission staff must have sufficient information regarding what was actually said during the alleged broadcast, the meaning of what was said and the context in which it was stated. There is flexibility in how a complainant may provide this information. For example, the complainant may provide a significant excerpt of the program describing what was actually said (or depicted) or a full or partial tape or transcript of the material. In whatever form, the complainant provides the information, it must be sufficiently detailed such that the Commission can determine the words and language actually used during the broadcast and the context of those words or language. More information about obscenity and indecency complaints.

Again it is all about context....

If you want to file a complaint you have to fill out a form,FCC Form 475B, and submit it to the commission.
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

You can't say...

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search