Trying to get Blu Ray audio into PTools
New Reply
Subscribe
Mundox
22nd August 2012
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Trying to get Blu Ray audio into PTools

I got a USB Blu Ray drive and downloaded MakeMkv to rip my Blu Ray disk.
In the settings I grabbed the discrete 5.1 audio.
Resulting .mkv file plays fine in VLC. But I need to import the audio as .wav files into Pro Tools. I tried re-encoding the file with Handbrake to no avail.
Each time it produced a file that wasn't playable by anything including Perian, VLC, and Mpeg Streamclip. I even tried encoding just audio, no video.

Can anyone give me an advice on this? I am considering going through with a Blu Ray player's HDMI out into a Blackmagic capture card to see if I can grab it that way.

Automatic volume riding for Pro Tools®
Wave Rider

Catchin' SYNC app up to 120fps recording!!
30th August 2012
Old 30th August 2012
Gear interested

I've recently spent a few complete days to solve this problem on Mac.

My algorithm:
A1. Convert mkv to mp4 with no sound by Handbrake.
A2. Convert mp4 to DVPAL mov by MPEG Streamclip. So you got movie file for PT.

B1. Convert original mkv to mkv with audio conversion to FLAC (6-channel discrete).
B2. Extract flac from obtained mkv by MKVExtractGUI (MKVExtractGUI-2 2.2.2.9 - VideoHelp.com Downloads) into a separate file.
B3. Extract poly wav from obtained flac by XLD converter.
B4. Import obtained poly wav into Pro Tools.

Here you go!
P.S. Countless experiments showed that it seems to be the only one way to get a multichannel Blue-Ray audio into PT =)
31st August 2012
Old 31st August 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Why not try getting hold of a piece of software called AudioMuxer?

This will do exactly what you need - turn the BD into 6 WAV files - all in one interface, no messing around. Okay it needs to be set up properly but there are full instructions with it.
Mundox
2nd September 2012
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

I carried this task to a Windows machine and it solved itself within minutes!
Downloaded a free program called Video Converter. Converted the .mkv audio into poly .aif. And in minutes I had my discrete audio files in PT (albeit with wrong channel order).
Very impressed.
5th September 2012
Old 5th September 2012
Gear interested

Yeah, but the kernel of my challenge was to do demux mkv on MAC. I didn't want to install Windows on my Mac for the sake of this task only )
5th September 2012
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KiT_ View Post
Yeah, but the kernel of my challenge was to do demux mkv on MAC. I didn't want to install Windows on my Mac for the sake of this task only )
How about getting a 40€ BD player with discrete outs and record that into PT?
5th September 2012
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

its a lot easier than all of the above solutions -> you can export a 6 channel WAV directly with VLC.

File -> Streaming/Export Wizard -> Transcode/Save to file ->Transcode Audio (Uncompressed).
Mundox
6th September 2012
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

In my experience VLC doesn't produce a result that is usable.
9th September 2012
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
In my experience VLC doesn't produce a result that is usable.
you are right... just checked it and it doesn't work anymore. but they will fix this bug in 2.04 and I just discovered that they will release a new export/convert-dialog with 2.1: Convert and Save - feepk@videolan
Mundox
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Cool, good to know.
27th October 2012
Old 27th October 2012
Gear interested

Just responded to a similar post. Audacity will import the .mkv no problem, 6 tracks ask individual, then you can just bounce the tracks out individually. Worked for me

Sent from my GT-S5830i
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Gear maniac

PAVTUBE!

Seriously, I make ProRes rips of Blu rays with proper discrete PCM audio for checking on my system. You can make DNXHD, h264 quick times etc. it's free to try with only a visual watermark so if you just need to check mixes then its fine. Or if you want no watermark and better multi threaded encodes its 39 dollars.

I went through all the workflows to do this and was so mad i couldn't just make a QuickTime, then I discovered PAVTUBE.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Holland View Post
PAVTUBE!

Seriously, I make ProRes rips of Blu rays with proper discrete PCM audio for checking on my system. You can make DNXHD, h264 quick times etc. it's free to try with only a visual watermark so if you just need to check mixes then its fine. Or if you want no watermark and better multi threaded encodes its 39 dollars.

I went through all the workflows to do this and was so mad i couldn't just make a QuickTime, then I discovered PAVTUBE.
Today I purchased pavtube after demoing it and must say it works perfectly for lossless BD Ripping. The software in fact is called iMedia Converter from the company Pavtube. Thanks Max for the recommendation, which I subscribe.
Mundox
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

Yes Pavtube seems to tackle the task quite smoothly, thanks guys.
However, when I bring the 5.1 tracks into my session, channel order is all over the place. Any idea how to fix that?
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
Yes Pavtube seems to tackle the task quite smoothly, thanks guys.
However, when I bring the 5.1 tracks into my session, channel order is all over the place. Any idea how to fix that?
I usually just split into mono and arrange the tracks into the proper LCRLsRsLFE format Pro Tools likes and drag them back to a 5.1 track... its usually pretty easy to discern which tracks are which (center is mostly dialog, LFE is low end, Left and Right are louder and have most of the music, surrounds are softer and usually have some verb or something supporting the music but not always.)
Mundox
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Holland View Post
I usually just split into mono and arrange the tracks into the proper LCRLsRsLFE format Pro Tools likes and drag them back to a 5.1 track... its usually pretty easy to discern which tracks are which (center is mostly dialog, LFE is low end, Left and Right are louder and have most of the music, surrounds are softer and usually have some verb or something supporting the music but not always.)
Yep, that's been my way of fixing it too. I wondered if there was a way to alter it in the app.
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear nut

Did you guys know once upon a time Minnetonka had a quicktime DTS decoder codec. i think the cost was $50. I wish someone would do this again. i rather just decode then create new media.
Mundox
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah but by ripping Bluray we are accessing PCM files, untouched by encoder/decoder.
31st August 2013
Old 31st August 2013
Gear interested

But can we be sure that what's on a BluRay is the Theatrical Mix? It can be a more compressed version, aimed at theaters?
Mundox
31st August 2013
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

Some are and some aren't. If the mix is hitting 0dbfs quite often, I assume it is the theatrical mix and if it is hitting -6dbfs, it's for home.
31st August 2013
Old 31st August 2013
Gear interested

Basically Pavtube is the same as Aunsoft Video Converter. It is just a pity you cannot select higher audio-bitrates than 384000: 'Inception' shows a whopping 1536000bps, which I'd like to hear for myself... Any other apps that can capture the full resolution?!
Mundox
31st August 2013
Old 31st August 2013
Lives for gear

I can grab uncompressed PCM files using Pavtube.
Thanks again to Max for introducing this piece of software to me, it is now a stable in our studio to do all sorts of conversion tasks.
1st September 2013
Old 1st September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Today I purchased pavtube after demoing it and must say it works perfectly for lossless BD Ripping. The software in fact is called iMedia Converter from the company Pavtube. Thanks Max for the recommendation, which I subscribe.
Are you sure it does lossless audio. I checked the specs on their web site and i don't see uncompressed Wav, Aiff anywhere on the audio output format.
2nd September 2013
Old 2nd September 2013
Gear interested

I was in this problem (extract audio from a BR)at the beginning of this year and ended purchasing pavtube.
It did the job.
BUT, it only could extract 5.1 channels at 16 bits.
I needed to do that task at 24 bits. No way.
Also I was in contact with Pavtube trying to solve that limitation. In fact, it was a very slow communication because they are in China, I guess, so it was 12 hours of difference with my country.
Any way, if you want 5.1 & 24 bits Pavtube is not the solution.
2nd September 2013
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
Are you sure it does lossless audio. I checked the specs on their web site and i don't see uncompressed Wav, Aiff anywhere on the audio output format.
Yes it does. But when selecting WAV as output it only lets you choose mono or stereo. Only if you select Quicktime MOV e.g. ProRes as output it lets you select 5.1 PCM audio embedded in the movie.

Now I use Makemkv followed by ffmbc, and it works perfectly.
2nd September 2013
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Yes it does. But when selecting WAV as output it only lets you choose mono or stereo. Only if you select Quicktime MOV e.g. ProRes as output it lets you select 5.1 PCM audio embedded in the movie.

Now I use Makemkv followed by ffmbc, and it works perfectly.
Actually not true, the highest quality audio Pavtube will extract under ANY format is

Codec: PCM_s16le
Bitrate: 384000 bps

a typical 16 bit-44Khz Wav uncompressed file bitrate is 1411 kbps (1 411 000 bps)....big difference.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search