Prometheus
New Reply
Subscribe
Thomas W. Bethe
18th June 2012
Old 18th June 2012
Lives for gear

Prometheus

I went to see this yesterday and I have to say I was very impressed with the sound and the visuals. The surround sound was amazing and very well done and the dialog was so clear and worked so well it sets a new standard for me for dialog. I have come to expect great things from Ridley Scott but he surpassed even my highest expectations. The visual aspect was also very well done and everything looked real and believable which is one of Mr. Scott's trademarks.

Any others have thoughts on the film??

I saw this in a 100 seat theater with 20 other people at the first matinee of the day in a Cinemark theater complex for what it is worth...

The story was not so great but he was trying to make a prequel to Alien so....I give him some creative latitude.

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Oberlin, OH 44074
www.acoustikmusik.com

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 20 years in the mastering business in 2014
18th June 2012
Old 18th June 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I went to see this yesterday and I have to say I was very impressed with the sound and the visuals. The surround sound was amazing and very well done and the dialog was so clear and worked so well it sets a new standard for me for dialog. I have come to expect great things from Ridley Scott but he surpassed even my highest expectations. The visual aspect was also very well done and everything look real and believable which is one of Mr. Scott's trademarks.

I saw this in a 100 seat theater with 20 other people at the first matinee of the day in a Cinemark theater complex for what it is worth...
Saw it on opening night in 3D. A visual and sonic treat. Impeccable in most ways, but there were some sounds I wasn't very fond of. Totally subjective though. I wasn't all that immersed in the story, however.

IMDb
18th June 2012
Old 18th June 2012
Gear maniac

The sound production was good but I found the actual score very disappointing and utterly forgettable. I was also very disappointed with the film in general.
19th June 2012
Old 19th June 2012
Lives for gear

I love the sound of Prometheus. Very good LFE usage, tight mix and clear dialogue.
19th June 2012
Old 19th June 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Loved it! Mysterious, compelling, fun!
19th June 2012
Old 19th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootini View Post
The sound production was good but I found the actual score very disappointing and utterly forgettable. I was also very disappointed with the film in general.
It wasn't boring to watch, but other than that I agree. I hoped for more dirty, dark and deep atmosphere. What I got was very nice pop eye-candy, anemic score and "who cares?" attitude/atmosphere. The best sounding scene to me was the "silica storm".

The first alien movie had much more interesting sound.

That's my first impressions, will give it a 2nd chance when longer version comes out.
20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Gear maniac

20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

This was the best deconstruction of the film i have read. The screenwriter even commented on it saying he likes how the writer thinks.

cavalorn: Prometheus Unbound: What The Movie Was Actually About

Its a long read but if you have some time and are interested go ahead and read it. I would watch the movie once atleast as there are of course spoilers. It really puts things in perspective and when I do a second viewing it will be interesting looking at it from this point of view.
20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I went to see this yesterday and I have to say I was very impressed with the sound and the visuals. The surround sound was amazing and very well done and the dialog was so clear and worked so well it sets a new standard for me for dialog. I have come to expect great things from Ridley Scott but he surpassed even my highest expectations. The visual aspect was also very well done and everything looked real and believable which is one of Mr. Scott's trademarks.

The story was not so great but he was trying to make a prequel to Alien so....I give him some creative latitude.
I enjoyed the sonic and visual show but the scenario and dialogue were painfully embarrassing. The story was weak and illogical and the dialogue was utterly contrived to try and explain the weak story. Not at all believable.

Alistair
20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I enjoyed the sonic and visual show but the scenario and dialogue were painfully embarrassing. The story was weak and illogical and the dialogue was utterly contrived to try and explain the weak story. Not at all believable.

Alistair
That's true. A giant spaceship with humans in hibernated sleeps traveling to another planet full of 2000 year old biological alien weapons and gigantic humans is NOT REMOTELY believable, but it sure is fun. More please.
20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

My wife and I, both SciFi fans were really disappointed, the 3D was utterly unecessary and the storline was weak and very predictable, not what we have come to expect from Ridley Scott. the films technical details were the only saving grace. Hated the "B" movie final scene, it's almost like someone got lazy or lost interest in what they wanted to achieve.
Did you notice that towards the end some of the characters could suddenly breathe the "unbreathable" atmosphere just outside the ship without their suit helmets.
Portland, OR
20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskervils View Post
That's true. A giant spaceship with humans in hibernated sleeps traveling to another planet full of 2000 year old biological alien weapons and gigantic humans is NOT REMOTELY believable, but it sure is fun. More please.
Oh don't get me wrong, I love science fiction but when the humans don't have believable dialogues (or the scenario makes no sense on a human level) the whole thing falls to pieces. I could give you countless examples of non-believable dialogue but that would mean spoiling things for others.

Alistair
20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Score is not good at all. Doesn't fit the mood in 90% of the situations.
20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
This was the best deconstruction of the film i have read. The screenwriter even commented on it saying he likes how the writer thinks.

cavalorn: Prometheus Unbound: What The Movie Was Actually About

Its a long read but if you have some time and are interested go ahead and read it. I would watch the movie once atleast as there are of course spoilers. It really puts things in perspective and when I do a second viewing it will be interesting looking at it from this point of view.
I thought that whole explanation was a load of bull$@t.
I hate it when they try to explain a movie with some back story, that isn't n the film. All the symbolism doesn't mean jack. If all that stuff was the real story. Put it n the effin film.
Enough with the pseudo intellectual mumbo jumbo bs.
20th June 2012
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Btw, I did enjoy the film.

Question.

Where did the ladder magically appear from, that David climbed to open the door?
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I thought that whole explanation was a load of bull$@t.
I hate it when they try to explain a movie with some back story, that isn't n the film. All the symbolism doesn't mean jack. If all that stuff was the real story. Put it n the effin film.
Enough with the pseudo intellectual mumbo jumbo bs.
Well thats how RS enjoys making films.

Like all of the open ended questions in bladerunner that have helped that film endure for so long.

I like have a bit of ambiguity in film making we just dont normally see it in a summer blockbuster.
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Well thats how RS enjoys making films.

Like all of the open ended questions in bladerunner that have helped that film endure for so long.

I like have a bit of ambiguity in film making we just dont normally see it in a summer blockbuster.
Thing is, none of those open ended questions in Bladerunner affected he overall movie.
You didn't leave going "huh"?

And I personally think the whole "deckard was an android" was invented long after the movie was out.
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Let me make it clear that im not saying there arent problems with the film. There are for sure. I just think that all of the subtle plot stuff isnt the problem. The problem mostly has to do with all the dead actors and their dialog.
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I think the Charlie Theron character could have been written out entirely.
She served zero purpose in the film.
She was probably in there on insistence of the studio to have a sexy female in the movie.
Her whole character felt tacked on.
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

I guess we will just have to disagree on this one mark

If we all enjoyed the same stuff it would certainly be a boring world. I am very interested in seeing a directors cut as I feel the second half of the movie just kinda fell off.
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The dialogue and plot was very summer blockbustery IMO. And that is an insult to many summer block busters.

Quote:
The problem mostly has to do with all the dead actors and their dialog.
You can't expect actors to do a good performance on such a tragic dialogue or script.

Actually I was boggled that such a high budget film could have such a bad script and dialogue. Shockingly appalling.

Alistair
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post
Score is not good at all. Doesn't fit the mood in 90% of the situations.
THIS! That main "theme" sounded like a Star Trek: Next Generation tune - just awful. It totally destroyed the mood for me. That, and the Red Letter Media questions were the other things going through my mind as I watched it. Silly creature designs too. They really needed to involve Geiger way more. One colossal disappointment.
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The dialogue and plot was very summer blockbustery IMO. And that is an insult to many summer block busters.

You can't expect actors to do a good performance on such a tragic dialogue or script.

Actually I was boggled that such a high budget film could have such a bad script and dialogue. Shockingly appalling.

Alistair
Oh I agree. The dialog was in the script. Again Im interested in seeing a directors cut before the suits got their hands on it.
Thomas W. Bethe
21st June 2012
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

In the original Alien every crew member was very memorable for me. In Prometheus I could not keep strait who was who and I was never sure who was killed and who was still living. This movie was very well done and the dialog and the visuals were both very well done. The surround mix was GREAT but the story was contrived. It was worth the $5.25 I paid for the matinee. This was a good example of a summer "blockbuster" and I will probably get the BR when it comes out.
23rd June 2012
Old 23rd June 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Fassbender came through brilliantly in parts. In fact, the "why were we created?" discussion between him and Halloway was the high-point in the film for me. Can't say I liked much else though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
like a Star Trek: Next Generation tune - just awful.
How DARE you! It was nowhere near as good!
24th June 2012
Old 24th June 2012
Lives for gear

I agree. fassbender's character was the richest of the bunch. He did a excellent job with it as well.
27th June 2012
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

For me the end what was wrong. I mean how could anyone more obviously tell us that there will be a second (third, etc.) part?
We knew this, they shouldn't have made it so blatant.

And I agree Charlize Theron's character was for nothing really.
1st July 2012
Old 1st July 2012
Lives for gear

Great sound, but a terrible movie

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Gearslutz App
6th July 2012
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear

Thank for sharing this.

'cavalorn: Prometheus Unbound: What The Movie Was Actually About' <- by jstorm

I found it very enlightening. I loved the direction of the film, the visuals were great too. The sound was awesome at times and I suggest watching the SoundWorks collection video on it.

I did have reservations about some holes in the story and while the link above helped fill it out, I can't help but feel that if I hadn't read it, I would have left the theater with sooo many questions.

At the very least though, I'm glad they rebooted this title. It was always one of my fav's.
6th July 2012
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I've heard enough good and bad things about the film that I decided to not see it in theaters and wait for the Blu-Ray release and will watch it at home on my own system (in 2D). I'm going to give the film the benefit of the doubt that any faults in the film were due to editorial reasons to make it fit within the constraints of the theatrical release. Let's see what the director's cut can deliver.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search