Help with scoring (composing) studio
Jonathan_Xeon
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear interested

Help with scoring (composing) studio

Hello fellow gearheads,
I have been wondering, for the past months, what the hell do I need (gear wise) for my studio.

And honestly, I don't know; So I decided that probably you guys, have more experience and knowledge, in these matters then I. So please help.

My needs are as follows;
1. Composing / orchestral mock ups
2. Recording individual instruments (nothing more then 4 simultaneous tracks)
3. Mixing, (stems, FX, sound design)

I work mainly on Film/TV/Games and other media.
Basically I want to work "right" which, I think is fast, high quality, and ergonomic.

Thanks so much for your time and effort.
Jonathan_Xeon
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear interested

I have done searches, maybe I wasn't clear on my needs or what I am looking for. ?
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Xeon View Post
I have done searches, maybe I wasn't clear on my needs or what I am looking for. ?
No, you weren't clear! If you want a scoring studio, why do you need to be able to mix stems, FX and Sound Design? If you're doing orchestral mock-ups why do you need 4 tracks for instrumental recording and which instruments are you looking to record?

G
Jonathan_Xeon
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregorioM View Post
No, you weren't clear! If you want a scoring studio, why do you need to be able to mix stems, FX and Sound Design? If you're doing orchestral mock-ups why do you need 4 tracks for instrumental recording and which instruments are you looking to record?G
Fair enough, let me try to clarify some things up.

As the studio is a home studio, where I work alone, most of the work I do is;
Compose the music, then work on mocking it up.
Sometimes I also record solo instruments to enhance the score (depends on the budget).
90% of the time I record acoustic instruments (strings, guitars, pianos and etc), I sometimes record electric instruments as well, Anything more and I go to a professional studio.

There are other projects, on which I am also hired to do the sound design, and eventually I mix together all the elements.

However, my main work is all done ITB and it is mainly the composing process.

I hope this clarifies things, if I can help you understand my needs better, for you to lend me advice.
Then with all means ask me more, and I will be happy to answer
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

I think another important question is what, if anything, you already have?

Computer, DAW, mics, monitors, acoustic treatment?

Or are you starting from scratch? It sounds like you've already been doing this work though so building on what you have would probably be best.

Also is there a budget?

Cheers!
-Mike
Jonathan_Xeon
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
I think another important question is what, if anything, you already have?

Computer, DAW, mics, monitors, acoustic treatment?

Or are you starting from scratch? It sounds like you've already been doing this work though so building on what you have would probably be best.
True, but unfortunately, the gear I have been using is out of date and of poor quality.

The reason I am asking for your guidance in this matter, is that most of what I have today, was purchased out of lack of knowledge and experience.

For instance my audio interface is a digi003r+, when today I find myself using logic pro and digital performer as my main DAWs.
My monitors are a pair of passive M-Audio's. And so on...

To be honest, this project is me starting from scratch.
And hopefully building a studio that I can start to evolve modularly, with time.
As for a budget: 12,000$ but I am flexible, to a point.
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
True, but unfortunately, the gear I have been using is out of date and of poor quality.

The reason I am asking for your guidance in this matter, is that most of what I have today, was purchased out of lack of knowledge and experience.

For instance my audio interface is a digi003r+, when today I find myself using logic pro and digital performer as my main DAWs.
My monitors are a pair of passive M-Audio's. And so on...

To be honest, this project is me starting from scratch.
And hopefully building a studio that I can start to evolve modularly, with time.
As for a budget: 12,000$ but I am flexible, to a point.
one thing to point out... you could save money on the build out by renting studios when you need to record acoustic instruments. If you are only recording one to four instruments at a time, you can find a decent room for a reasonable amount. It will save you from having to try and make a good acoustic space.

I would try to help you with your setup, but I'm a protools guy and a lot of the people I know score in PT, as well as all the sound editors I know work in PT. Logic and DP are not my forte so I really don't know what interfaces work well with that software.

For sounds to do orchestral score and some sound design score, I can tell you we all use a lot of...

Symphobia
Morphestra
LA Scoring Strings
EastWest Quantum Leap Symphony Orchestra Platinum
Vienna Super Package or Cube
Storm Drums 2
Hollywood Strings and Brass
Symphonic Choirs
Voice of the Apocalypse
Damage
Evolve
Mutations
True Strike
Stylus RMX
Omnisphere
NI Komplete bundle
Cinematic Guitars
VOXOS
CineOrch
CineBrass
a bunch of stuff from 8dio.com and soundiron.com

And so on and so forth...
Jonathan_Xeon
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
one thing to point out... you could save money on the build out by renting studios when you need to record acoustic instruments. If you are only recording one to four instruments at a time, you can find a decent room for a reasonable amount. It will save you from having to try and make a good acoustic space.

I would try to help you with your setup, but I'm a protools guy and a lot of the people I know score in PT, as well as all the sound editors I know work in PT. Logic and DP are not my forte so I really don't know what interfaces work well with that software.

For sounds to do orchestral score and some sound design score, I can tell you we all use a lot of...

Symphobia
Morphestra
LA Scoring Strings
EastWest Quantum Leap Symphony Orchestra Platinum
Vienna Super Package or Cube
Storm Drums 2
Hollywood Strings and Brass
Symphonic Choirs
Voice of the Apocalypse
Damage
Evolve
Mutations
True Strike
Stylus RMX
Omnisphere
NI Komplete bundle
Cinematic Guitars
VOXOS
CineOrch
CineBrass
a bunch of stuff from 8dio.com and soundiron.com

And so on and so forth...
I do rent studio space whenever I can, but I do record sometimes in my room (its convenient for me, and the room is treated so that's good).

Regarding sounds and vstis, I am properly set with all I need (Vienna, EWQL, spite fire, and the works).

I am looking to build my studio gear wise, (audio converters, monitors, control surfaces, EQs, Composers and so on...)

But thank you for your time mate.
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
I do rent studio space whenever I can, but I do record sometimes in my room (its convenient for me, and the room is treated so that's good).

Regarding sounds and vstis, I am properly set with all I need (Vienna, EWQL, spite fire, and the works).

I am looking to build my studio gear wise, (audio converters, monitors, control surfaces, EQs, Composers and so on...)

Audio Converters Go for Apogees{The Best},Monitors JBL, Quest or DynAudio.
Control Surfaces I would go for Avid.For the Mastering Stuff, I would go for Waves, Izotope, Wave Arts or T-Racks.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

I did a shootout once between mic preamps and converters. The result... they really don't make that much of a difference when all else is equal.

Mics can have an impact, yes. Preamps and converters, very little. I can send you the shootout data if you are interested for yourself. Just send me a PM with your email address and I can yousendit to you.

If you are going to do a composer's studio with some space set aside for recording... there are some things to consider.

Bigger spaces sound better. Period. They sound better for control rooms and they sound better for live rooms. For your "control room" listening position/writing position, focus on the first reflection points and put up absorbing material to stop them.

For recording, setting up one corner as a "recording" corner usually works best for most situations (but it can depend on the shape of your room). Make the corner as dead as possible, then put the musician in the corner FACING out with the mic facing into the corner. If you have a good mic that is truly cardioid throughout most of the spectrum, you should be able to get a pretty dry sound without much or any room sound.

Then look into bass trapping as needed. Don't just go out and buy bass traps without hearing your room first. Do a little acoustic treatment, see how it sounds... then see what you feel you need, then buy some more...and so on. It's very easy to buy too much and potentially kill the sound of your room.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search