New Reply
Subscribe
Styx Studios
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Gear interested

Pro tools video change time code help

Hi

I've imported a video to pro tools at the 29.92 fps and i wish to change it to 25 fps to had music and efx etc and i can't remember how to do it.
when i import the video the fps goes red as it's not the same as my session and i know the objective is to get the fps on the white coloring and at the same rate as my session but i just can't do it i can't remember how i did in the past.

I'm in Pro tools 8 HD3 with a sync i/o not the hd, the video is hd i'm importing it straight from my hard drive and the format it's avi.

i would really appreciate your help i know that it's simple i just can't remember and i can't see anything online about it as alot of people say to use an external compressor or convertor and convert the video to whatever fps i want.

Thank in advance
Kind Regards
Pedro
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

Are you trying to change the session frame rate? or the videos frame rate?
Styx Studios
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Gear interested

The video frame rate i have the session set at 25 fps and i want to change the video to that frame rate
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Gear interested

1. What is the video file's frame rate?
2. What is the Pro Tools session frame rate?
It's not really clear from your first sentence.

If it's exported from a NLE with the goal of eventually doing a layback to that same NLE, the NLE frame rate and Pro Tools frame rate must match, to save you a world of headaches. I'd say the simplest thing is to re-export the video file to the same frame rate that is in the NLE project, then make sure Pro Tools is the same. But.... If the NLE is at a frame rate other than what you want to eventually export (film, broadcast, dvd, etc.), that's the fault of the editor. You'd then have to convert the whole thing later which is a drag.
Styx Studios
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Gear interested

The video frame rate is 29.92fps
The session is at 25 fps which is what i want to export to

I have the video in .mov file when i import it to pro tools the video fps goes red as it's not the same as the session my question is how do i change the video fps so it matches my session.
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Gear interested

I'm assuming you're working with a video editor. Is this right? If so, ask him to export the video from the NLE to 25 fps. But then, ask yourself: are you going to do a layback to the NLE after exporting the audio? If so, you've got a frame rate mismatch and a big problem. Or, are you going to export a video directly from Pro Tools (as an MOV file, with embedded audio mix). If it's the second, there's no problem.

If you're NOT working with a video editor and this is just a video you picked up somewhere that you want to, say, do some sound design for, then you should convert the video to 25 fps before importing to Pro Tools. If it's an MOV, use QuickTime Pro, FCP, Avid or whatever to do a conversion. (I'm confused because first you said it's an AVI then you said it's an MOV.) The video quality might get wonky. It depends on how large the file is and what the existing video settings are. If it's small or massively compressed, the conversion will make it worse.
Styx Studios
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for your help

Sorry it was .mov file pro tools doesn't seem to recognize that fps so i'm converting it with mpegstream clip to 25 fps which is what i want no i just picked a movie to do some sound design and for whatever reason i though i could change the fps of the video in pro tools i don't know why i though so.

Again thanks for your help, at least i know if i was doing the audio for someone else that i might have problems when it comes to fps if i'm working in pro tools

another question if i was going to give this back to the video editor and let's say he has and wants the video in the 29.92fps what would i do? i there any way of solving this problem or would i have the do a embedded audio mix at lest say 30fps and then convert to the 29.92fps??

Thanks again
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Gear interested

Well, you wouldn't have a problem using Pro Tools. You'd just have to make sure you're using the same frame rate.

Regarding your question, if the video editor works in 29.92, then you work in 29.92. It's really that simple. Just communicate with the picture editor before you start, find out what his frame rate is and use the same rate in PT.

Have fun!
Styx Studios
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Gear interested

how do i change to that frame rate in pt as it only allows you to pick 24 25 29.97 etc e can't pick 29.92
6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx Studios View Post
how do i change to that frame rate in pt as it only allows you to pick 24 25 29.97 etc e can't pick 29.92
I personally have never heard of that frame rate. Where did you get the video?
Styx Studios
6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012
Gear interested

just got it out of youtube.
would i be correct to say that pt doesn't support it??
6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx Studios View Post
just got it out of youtube.
would i be correct to say that pt doesn't support it??
On a basic level, no as it's not a recognised official rate. you will be able to do it using a SYNC system made by AVID as you could pull down your sample rate by (29.92/29.97 * 100)% to get a match.
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

I recently imported avideo that was at 30.1 FPS, after some research it appears to be a side effect of exporting directly out of AE for whatever reason. Use handbrake or something to convert it. It will look like crap but should sync properly.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search