Plagin's to voiceover
Shikai
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Gear interested

Plagin's to voiceover

Good afternoon. I newibe in voiceover work and would like to know what are good plugins most people used for this.Compressor, exciter, maximizer, limiter, deesser and more.I used RVox, Waves DeEsser, Softube CL - 1B, Izotope RX good too, Waves L2, but i want to know more.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
I'm not sure why you would use most of those plugins on VO work. Assuming you recorded properly, maybe just a compressor and EQ should be fine.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
I've found myself simply using the Avid Channelstrip for VO, as it gives me all the processing I would ever really need to use.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

If you're doing vo and you want that aggressive vo sound try your favorite limiter and do some heavy gain reduction on it. Add EQ if you need it and you're there. If you have a UAD-2 card, adding the ATR plug at the end can give you a little more heft.
L.
Shikai
18th August 2012
Old 18th August 2012
Gear interested

Some peoples in this topic say EQ and Compressor only, Can you recommended me good compressor for this. And one more question. If i have big dynamic range in voiceover, what i should do?? I mean i have big emotion somewhere in track, and i have no emotion when hero just talk. What helped me in this problems, Vocal Rider?? Or i need used manual automation?? Or i just need used compressor?? Yeap, i know, my qeustion like a newbies, but i want learn more in voiceover sphere.
18th August 2012
Old 18th August 2012
Lives for experience

Rather than worrying about which plugin works best for VO work, take the plugins you have and learn how to use them. Spend hours and hours figuring out what the controls do to the sound. Carefully listen to other VO's you like and compare your work critically to that. Then realize that you have a long way to go, and put in more time. Listen to how the sound changes when you make adjustment, analyse the sound with your ears and brain. Use the stock plugins that came with your DAW, or whatever else you already purchased, they are fine.

Buying the same car as the leading race car driver will not make you drive like him.

What's the best gas pedal for going 200 MPH?
18th August 2012
Old 18th August 2012
And don't forget, 95% of the sound is the voice talent.
Shikai
18th August 2012
Old 18th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Buying the same car as the leading race car driver will not make you drive like him.
Not true. Only i know what i can. And if i buy car, and want driving like a pro, i go to training, trace, learn all time and all day theory and practice and asked another man's who too long driving, how to be will better. So what good pedal for 200 mhp?? Everytime and everyday my desire.
18th August 2012
Old 18th August 2012
Lives for experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikai View Post
Not true. Only i know what i can. And if i buy car, and want driving like a pro, i go to training, trace, learn all time and all day theory and practice and asked another man's who too long driving, how to be will better. So what good pedal for 200 mhp?? Everytime and everyday my desire.
You just made my point. It is the work you do, not the equipment.
Deleted User #106149
18th August 2012
Old 18th August 2012
Deleted User #106149

Quote:
What's the best gas pedal for going 200 MPH?
Actually that's what happens almost every time in Formula 1.

Klanghelm dc8c is a beast for vocal compression.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz App
Shikai
19th August 2012
Old 19th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
You just made my point. It is the work you do, not the equipment.
This is philosophy. If you don't know what i mean, read somebooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb123 View Post
Actually that's what happens almost every time in Formula 1.
I love Formula 1, and watching her too long.
19th August 2012
Old 19th August 2012
If you ever actually go to racing school, you see that the first thing they do is put you in an extremely fast Mustang and laugh at you as you get lapped by the instructors driving a Focus.
Shikai
19th August 2012
Old 19th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
If you ever actually go to racing school, you see that the first thing they do is put you in an extremely fast Mustang and laugh at you as you get lapped by the instructors driving a Focus.
Oh. So you mean you all laugh becouse i newibe and want know more?? Want be a better?? Now i see what people in here. Bad humans who lauch when newbie's asked some qeustions. But this is yours problems, i don't care asked in forum what i want.
20th August 2012
Old 20th August 2012
Gear addict

I believe Dan is just trying to reiterate the point that the equipment (or plugins in this case) don't matter. It's the skill that matters.

He wasn't laughing at you. Just using that part to make a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikai View Post
Oh. So you mean you all laugh becouse i newibe and want know more?? Want be a better?? Now i see what people in here. Bad humans who lauch when newbie's asked some qeustions. But this is yours problems, i don't care asked in forum what i want.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Gearslutz App
20th August 2012
Old 20th August 2012
Gear maniac

You come in here and get upset, mostly because of language differences I suspect. Then you tell us you want to learn and it appears you haven't even done a search - This has been discussed numerous times.
21st August 2012
Old 21st August 2012
Thanks glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_jr View Post
I believe Dan is just trying to reiterate the point that the equipment (or plugins in this case) don't matter. It's the skill that matters.

He wasn't laughing at you. Just using that part to make a point.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Gearslutz App
Thank-you glenn_jr, Exactly that. I wasn't laughing at you in your situation. I was just extending the analogy to emphasize the point being made. Honestly there are so many experienced pros that have posted mountains of information in this forum. I rarely start threads because before I get to it I find more than enough insights in previous postings. Good luck.
21st August 2012
Old 21st August 2012
How does one succeed in the entertainment business with such a thin skin...
21st August 2012
Old 21st August 2012
Lives for gear

Minister, good point.

That being said. Talent is key, then mic placement and choice. After that one should have an EQ, Compressor and Limiter.

The built in tools with PT work well. Waves, Wave Arts, IZotope and Sony's plugs all work well too. But, to Minister's point, use the stuff you have, find shortcomings and then research solutions.

I like the Avid standard EQ very much, it's effective and works on all systems. I also like the RComp and L2 from Waves and the Massey L2007 Limiter from Massey.

Most importantly though, spend the time getting the room quiet, the mic placed right and the talent comfortable, most of the rest will fall into place.

Oh, and remember, VO generally runs dry, no reverb
21st August 2012
Old 21st August 2012
Lives for gear

Keep it simple, a decent condenser ld mic quite near in a decently quiet acoustics and background noise of any kind - just print it -and then use some compression and eq to tastes comparing to a reference as I can guess your listening might not be up to standars?
But then the artist will have to perform and trust you...

Matti
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search