Iosono releases new surround mixing plug-in Anymix
New Reply
Subscribe
IOSONO Sound
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear interested

Iosono releases new surround mixing plug-in Anymix

Hello everyone! Wanted to let you know about the new surround mixing plug-in we are releasing today. Anymix allows you to create natural surround mixes up to 8.1 and backwards. Anymix comes with a built-in panning mode and a wealth of features, giving you full control over important parameters like Ambience, Stage Width and Dry/Wet signal. It is tailored to be used in post-production, broadcast, music and game sound design. Plus, Anymix offers a lot of features for individual panning, such as EQ and distant-dependent loudness settings.

Anymix can be used to convert any input setup from mono to 8.1 to any output format from stereo to 8.1 and vice versa. In addition, the included surround panning mode offers deep control of channel positioning within the surround field, allowing precise movements of all surround channels. Even single sources can be dissolved from the multichannel setup and freely positioned within the listening space.

Anymix is available in VST and RTAS format and it comes in two versions, Anymix Essential (EUR 159) and Anymix Pro (EUR 299). A 50% off introduction offer is running until March 31, and you can download a free 30 day trial version on our website IOSONO | the future of spatial audio.

You can also check out a video about Anymix on Anymix - the surround maker by IOSONO - YouTube or if you happen to be at Musikmesse in Frankfurt, you can visit us at booth no. is B72 in hall 5.1 and check out the plug-in yourself.

Best, Katja
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear maniac

Just downloaded the Pro version trial. Tried it as an alternative surround panner in Pro Tools HD 10. The first impression is really nice. The distance dependent volume and EQ look promising for a tight scheduled mix. I have two major questions at the moment.
1. Why are the "X" and "Y" parameters, and not the "Radius" and "Angle" controls mapped to physical controllers (I use D-Command). I really would like to have the "Radius" and "Angle" controls on my controller, since these parameters are what makes the difference compared to the standard surround panner. Also, when I try to reset the pan to its default state by holding "option" and touching the L/R (X) and F/R (Y) controls, the source goes to extreme left rear (guess it's a bug).

2. Do you plan to release an AAX version, especially AAX DSP, since RTAS will be obsolete in Pro Tools 11? I would not buy any plugin today without the manufacturer's promise to develop an AAX version in the near future.

rerecording mixer
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2555539/
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Price is good. I have to ask about aax development. Will this be coming to your software and if so what kind of upgrade pricing will there be on it?
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear interested

So with this you could achieve surround mixing on PT10 without the CPTK?

Sounds good if so, will have to try the demo!
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

No, it's not a replacement for cptk - you have to insert this on a surround channel.
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

This looks awesome. If AAX support is planned I will pick this up.
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear maniac

The plugin is rather CPU heavy - 20 "mono to 5.0" instances brought the CPU usage to 100% on my 8 core 3GHz MacPro 2.1 PT10 HD3 Accel. The upmix feature was turned off. IMHO it's too much load for a plugin which does amplitude panning, volume (level) change and HF shelf EQ dependent on the distance of the source from the center of the surround field. Is the algorythm not quite optimized? This plugin can't be used as a substitute for a regular channel panner on a feature film mix due to such CPU load. Only for some special effects panning?
Haven't tried it yet as an upmixer...
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Just downloaded the Pro version trial. Tried it as an alternative surround panner in Pro Tools HD 10. The first impression is really nice. The distance dependent volume and EQ look promising for a tight scheduled mix. I have two major questions at the moment.
1. Why are the "X" and "Y" parameters, and not the "Radius" and "Angle" controls mapped to physical controllers (I use D-Command). I really would like to have the "Radius" and "Angle" controls on my controller, since these parameters are what makes the difference compared to the standard surround panner. Also, when I try to reset the pan to its default state by holding "option" and touching the L/R (X) and F/R (Y) controls, the source goes to extreme left rear (guess it's a bug).

2. Do you plan to release an AAX version, especially AAX DSP, since RTAS will be obsolete in Pro Tools 11? I would not buy any plugin today without the manufacturer's promise to develop an AAX version in the near future.

The plugin is rather CPU heavy - 20 "mono to 5.0" instances brought the CPU usage to 100% on my 8 core 3GHz MacPro 2.1 PT10 HD3 Accel. The upmix feature was turned off. IMHO it's too much load for a plugin which does amplitude panning, volume (level) change and HF shelf EQ dependent on the distance of the source from the center of the surround field. Is the algorythm not quite optimized? This plugin can't be used as a substitute for a regular channel panner on a feature film mix due to such CPU load. Only for some special effects panning?
Haven't tried it yet as an upmixer...
Hi dmitri,

thank you for all the feedback!

1. We are already evaluating the possibility to add "Radius" and "Angle". If it does work as desired this will be in the next free update. L/R and F/R going to the extreme left on reset is definitely not a desired behavior.

2. There will be a free AAX update.

3. CPU usage at 100% using 20 plug-ins is definitely much too much. The plug-in is supposed to do this without much effort, we'll make sure that it does. I tested this on my Windows just now and there is no such problem. I'm going to analyze what's wrong on the Mac now.

best regards,
Marko
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Marko thanks for listening in. I have a mix coming up and I might just give Anymix a try. I have already got the trial license.

Paris, France
Heavy Nuendo users

"I don't care what they're talking about, I just want a nice fat recording" Harry Caul
My blog: http://www.filmmixer.eu
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear maniac

Hi Marco, thanks for your reply.

Free AAX upgrade is really encouraging. Do you plan AAX DSP, or only native?

I will check CPU usage in Pro Tools 9.0.6.

Also looking forward to check the Upmixer mode on some music cues.
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to cjguitar Send a message via Skype™ to cjguitar
My first impression: Buggy as hell… Just trying to do a mono to stereo instantiation in a simple 1 track session crashes PT almost instantly 80% of the time. Once I actually get it instantiated I get constant CPU spikes every couple seconds, so I'm not really able to play for more than a couple seconds at a time, totally unusable. The panner looks nice, but I'm not too impressed with the "upmixing" algorithm, it's just diverging the signal and adding a bit of reverb "ambiance" to the mix to get a stereo/surround feel, something I can do easily enough with the reverbs I'm using in a mix already (without the high overhead). I think this was released way to early, without enough beta testing in the real world
IMDB
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Gear interested

Just came home from the "musikmesse" where i was able to get a quite extensive demo and first impression was really good. I especially liked the look and feel of the panner, but unfortunately the venue was too noisy to judge the upmix stuff.

Since i'm dooing dvd-post most of the time at the moment this could be a good replacement for the built in PT panner.
26th March 2012
Old 26th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
My first impression: Buggy as hell… Just trying to do a mono to stereo instantiation in a simple 1 track session crashes PT almost instantly 80% of the time. Once I actually get it instantiated I get constant CPU spikes every couple seconds, so I'm not really able to play for more than a couple seconds at a time, totally unusable. The panner looks nice, but I'm not too impressed with the "upmixing" algorithm, it's just diverging the signal and adding a bit of reverb "ambiance" to the mix to get a stereo/surround feel, something I can do easily enough with the reverbs I'm using in a mix already (without the high overhead). I think this was released way to early, without enough beta testing in the real world
Chris,

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that you have problems with the Pro Tools version of our plug-in. We haven't got a report regarding this issue with Pro Tools before and are looking into what might be the cause of your problems, and it would be helpful if you could provide us some information about your system. I will send you a PM.

The upmix mode is not designed to add additional reverb, as you personally experienced it. The signal is split into a dry and an ambience signal component and gives you controls to manipulate those individually. The ambience that you get is only extracted from the source material and does not contain additional reverb. Did you try upmixing stereo material to surround as well?

Best,
Robert - IOSONO
27th March 2012
Old 27th March 2012
Gear maniac

I have to retract some of what I said in the earlier post. It's not as buggy as I had initially thought, as I moved it to one of the stage systems (not on my Macbook Pro), and I was able to do mono to stereo, as well as play back several instances of it without crashing, or having playback errors. Also, in trying it out on different source material and in a proper monitoring environment, I'm more impressed than I initially was. The initial test I did was with a mono stream flowing sound, and it sounded really bad for that (which isn't entirely unexpected), but on other sources like BG's and some FX sounds, and especially music, I like how it opened up to 5.1, and enveloped with discreet ambiance in the surround speakers, that it somehow extracts from the source audio. I have to say, it doesn't sound very good on dialog, or in up-mixing soundtracks with DX tied with other elements, but I think in general Anymix can be useful, and I'll probably pick it up at this great discount. Sorry for my quick judgement and for any misleading information I posted earlier in my post.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
No, it's not a replacement for cptk - you have to insert this on a surround channel.
In Nuendo, you can also put it in the place of the stock surround panner too as well as using it as an insert.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Free AAX upgrade is really encouraging. Do you plan AAX DSP, or only native?
The AAX version that is planned will be a native one.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
In Nuendo, you can also put it in the place of the stock surround panner too as well as using it as an insert.
Very cool
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear Head

Thumbs up

Control Command clicking on the GUI knobs doesn't switch to the corresponding rubber band views in Pro Tools except for Bypass. I got the Distant Dependent EQ to be unstable occasionally with the CutOff Frequency turned all the way down. Haven't had enough time to dig in real deep but the plugin automation appears to be lagging behind...at least in my session. Did a cool pan with it where I needed to take a 5.0 stem into a mono TV futz panned slightly to the left on a zoom. Going to have this plugin live on my reverb returns in ProTools.

Need a good UnWrap plugin...Not sure I like this one yet.

Hopefully we will see this as a Native as well as DSP AAX plugin.

SOLD!
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear maniac

The CPU usage in Pro Tools still seems strange. Under PT 9.0.6 HD3 Accel the best performance can be achieved with only 2 of my 8 cores enabled in the Playback engine. 38 "mono to 5.0" instances gives 45% CPU usage. With more cores enabled I get CPU spikes with less instances of Anymix. In PT 10.1.1 anything more than 30 instances gives CPU spikes over 100%. But the main problem is that RTAS plugins take up voices in PT HD Accel. One mono to 5.0 instance on an audio track takes 6 voices! How many channel panners can be established this way? And AAX Native plugin will still take voices in PT HDX. So, without AAX DSP support this is not a goto panner solution for DSP Pro Tools systems. The best use for the plugin I see is on a stem aux to rotate the whole BG stem.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear maniac

I concur, AAX DSP is really a necessity as others have pointed out. Not only for stability, but for using more instances with less latency and voice usage. I understand that it takes more development time, but I think it's time well spent.
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Lives for gear

I am unable to demo this plugin before the introductory offer ends this week. I run HD native so voices are not a concern. Should I buy in at 50% off? Is the upmix at least worth it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

i grabbed it. I'm a sucker for deals. I own the ircam tools as well and will mainly use this to print sound designed bits as needed.
29th March 2012
Old 29th March 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cananball View Post
I am unable to demo this plugin before the introductory offer ends this week. I run HD native so voices are not a concern. Should I buy in at 50% off? Is the upmix at least worth it?

Hey Ken.

The upmix functionality is a different approach to anyone else's so I would say "yes" just because when you need a faux surround, you generally need one fast - and there is no hard & fast way to do this that will work for all material.
Even the mighty Penteo is not great in all cases, and as the approach here isa very different one - it does not add extra reverb, but instead extracts the ambience (under your control as to how much) and allows you to move it around as you see best. You also get some great front field control, with full divergence & width of field all available very simply.
It's success or failure on a track will be entirely dependent on how much ambient information is in there with the direct sound. If there is very little, then there will not be much it can do - but I would still definitely recommend this as a part of your arsenal.

I seem to remember - and will have to check - that the Upmixing options are not quite as extensive as they are in the fuller featured SAW Panner with Upmix, but this is an add-on for Nuendo only so would be quite beside the point.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear interested

We have a new Anymix installer version 1.0.1 on our website (support -> downloads) which should fix the crashes that some of you experienced in Pro Tools / Mac OS. There also were some graphic issues when using multiple screens with Mac OS, this is also fixed.

We will look into the other issues that have been reported for an upcoming maintenance release. The Control-Command-click in Pro Tools will definitely be fixed with that and we are about to improve the performance of the Mac OS version as well.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone currently using this? It's on sale again, and I'm thinking of getting it. I already have the Waves UM226. Let me know what you think.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206743/
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

I use it in Nuendo. The result is different than with the DTS upmix plugin, but certainly is pleasing.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
Very cool
Looks like in N6 it will be the default panner. Wonder if PT11 will use Spanner as the default surround panner?
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Looks like in N6 it will be the default panner. Wonder if PT11 will use Spanner as the default surround panner?
There will be three built in panners in N6 now, but I think I'm never going to change the oldest simple panner as my go-to. I even wish they'd made one that is even simpler, like the one in PT. I see Anymix only on special channels, especially for upmixing.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear nut

I'm on PT10 and also trying to decide between Anymix and Spanner for easier surround panning. I really like Spanner's layout, but the ability to change pitch with pan in Anymix is really intriguing. Would love to keep hearing feedback from people that have tried both in real world post situations.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Unfortunately anymix does not pitch when pan, that's still a feature that I would like to see well implemented in a panner!
But my anymix tests so far have been very good for fx and ambience panning. Music upmix is a bit tweaky to get it great. Up mixing stereo music and mixing it to LTRT and then decoding is not perfect but not at all bad. It has a sound somehow, I find it quite pleasing but I'll have to use it in a bigger project to make sure it won't just make everything into a sauce...
and a complete picture department with online, grading and more based on Mistika.
http://www.europasoundvision.se
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search