Login / Register

Zynaptiq to introduce UNVEIL De-Reverberation & Signal Focusing Processor
New Reply
Subscribe
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Would it be possibly to have a option to switch unviels reported latency to 4095 to trick protools? I dont know how feasible that would be but this plug in for the way I work is 99% audio suite. If I cant do it fast I will just move on to another sound effect.

I agree for dialog its fine to have on a aux though.

Let me just add as a work around I can put it on a vst rack in sound miner which funnily brings me full circle.
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

We tried that, but the results weren't satisfactory. That'd break latency compensation causing clicks when processing parts of clips, and the CPU load explodes, making the Realtime Preview....erm...*non-realtime*, effectively. It'd take LONGER than real-time to preview for some reason.

But we're on the case.
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Denis,

Sorry if this has been covered already, but is the copy protection online only? I'd ideally want to bring it with me which I guess means either iLok or Sycrosoft.
28th November 2012
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

We currently do not have a dongle-based option, no. You can however manage your activations without contacting us, so you can actually move activations around as needed - the only limitation being that *de-activating* a machine requires web access on that machine (activation can be done using a different machine). Also, you can have two machines activated at any time.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Hey all,

recently wrote this quick-and-dirty HOW-TO over at the DUC, this may be useful to you if your brain and our UNVEIL parameters aren't instantly resonating with each other

Quote:
I can relate to what you're saying WRT "setting it up". The parameters do do well-defined things, and their interaction is inherently logical --- but as the process works rather differently than most other processes out there, what the parameters do is also rather different, so it does take a little while to "get" what they do and how they interact. But once you do get the hang of it, it's really pretty straight-forward. One thing that does help is to read the parameter descriptions in the manual (not saying you didn't, just trying to put as many pointers as possible into this post).

Here's a quick how-to that will get you going. The procedure will of course have to be varied depending on signal, but it should give you an idea of what is what.

For removing reverb:

First, load the default setting. Set FOCUS to maximum, and set Transient Thresh all the way to the right (so it's not actually bypassing any transients). Also, set REFRACT and PRESENCE to minimum. This will result in some artifacting/bubbling for now (essentially, you're telling the algorithm to be strict and to err on the side of removing too much), but it helps tuning the other parameters by making the processing as obvious as possible.

Adjust ADAPTATION until the release slope of the visual representation of that parameter in the display matches the release slope of the input signal display. This way, you are getting a good approximation of the reverb length that you want to be removing. if you set this too low, you will hear some reverb "fading up" shortly before the onset of a new sound, sort of like compressor pumping. If you set this too high, you will start hearing parts of the sounds you wish to retain being partially removed as the algorithm will try to find reverb where it has already gone, and grabs the "next best thing".

Now activate TRANSIENT SOLO and adjust the threshold slider until you hear only the short transients coming through, but no initial reflections or sustain phase of the signal. De-activate the SOLO again. This procedure basically bypasses processing on transients to allow more drastic de-reverberation while keeping the signal crisp. Just make sure you don't let through any reflections here.

Next, slowly raise REFRACT and PRESENCE until artifacts are gone. If the signal you're working has too much reverb left when you reach the "no artifacts" range for REFRACT and PRESENCE, either try increasing LOCALIZE (which may require to also raise REFRACT and PRESENCE a little more), or try lowering LOCALIZE (which may also allow lowering REFRACT and PRESENCE).

Once you're happy, adjust FOCUS to the desired de-reverberation amount. please note that setting this to 99% instead of 100% can have a huge impact on the perceived sound....perceptively, "no reverb" is a fundamentally different experience to "nearly no reverb"! So if you find the result of full FOCUS to be somewhat artificial sounding, lowering this just slightly can potentially make it all good.

If you're not finding a sweet spot, try setting FOCUS to the center position and use the FOCUS BIAS sliders to increase or decrease FOCUS just at the frequencies where the reverb is getting in the way most. The BIAS sliders are basically offsets to the FOCUS control, frequency dependently. If FOCUS is at 50% (which corresponds to the unprocessed input signal), the sliders effectively cover the entire range from reverb-only to direct-only. As with a graphic EQ (which this isn't!!), if you lower/raise one band a lot, it may be beneficial to "smoothe the curve" by also adjusting the adjacent bands. Conversely, it can be interesting to accentuate or de-accentuate specific components of complex signals like wallas/busy backdrops by deliberately NOT using a "smooth curve" setting for the sliders.

In general, try having LOCALIZE as low as possible while still removing enough reverb (but as high as needed), REFRACT and PRESENCE as high as needed to remove unwanted artifacts (but as low as possible to remove as much reverb as possible), and ADAPTATION at a value that matches the reverb contained in your signal.

For removing direct signal:

For this application, you will want to have LOCALIZE set to maximum most of the time. Set FOCUS to minimum, set Transient Threshold all the way to the right. Set REFRACT and PRESENCE to higher values for a darker result with less signal left over, or to lower values for brighter reverb with more "foreground" components left.

For up-mixing stereo to quad:

Follow the de-reverberation strategy as outlined above for the front channels, and select "I/O Diff" for the rears...this will move whatever you're removing to the rear channels. If the absolute level of the rears is relevant (if you're anticipating fold-down to stereo that you want to sound exactly like the original stereo), make sure you do not use the transient bypass function, and set the FOCUS control to max for the front and min for the rear (and do not activate I/O Diff for the rears). Adjust the amount of transients in the front versus in the rear using the REFRACT and PRESENCE controls.

While all this just scratches the surface and you'll probably still need to experiment a little for every source, I think that by the time you've tried these suggestions you'll have some sort of feel for how the parameters interact.
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks Denis!
Can't wait to try the 'Up-Mixing to Quad' (haven't heard that word for a while)

Certified Fairlight phanatiks
Bill Trousdale, CAS - Proprietor
www.AudioVisionPS.com
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Hehe yeah, there is no quad outside of art installations and research, really...but as we don't generate a third signal component for the C channel (and as the "angle" contained in the reverb is stereo), when panning the reverb to the rears "quad" is the most accurate description. You could just feed some dereverberated L+R to the C, of course, and call it 5.0.

-d
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Denis, here's an idea for a plugin you can make.
It will be a plugin that will use the reverb information of the Unveil and it will re-create it to be applied elsewhere.

Matching ADR at the moment and that would save me hours of fiddling with verb parameters.

You know, not all the time we want to get rid of the verb, sometimes we want to add.

Automatic volume riding for Pro Tools®
Wave Rider

Catchin' SYNC app up to 120fps recording!!
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Gear nut

Liked the demo so much I bought the plugin right away!
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
Denis, here's an idea for a plugin you can make.
It will be a plugin that will use the reverb information of the Unveil and it will re-create it to be applied elsewhere.
Matching ADR at the moment and that would save me hours of fiddling with verb parameters.
You know, not all the time we want to get rid of the verb, sometimes we want to add.
Cheers for the suggestion!

Well, how do I put this....we are aware of the need to be able to apply the reverb of one file to a different file, without having an actual IR....*grin*

-d
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Heads-up: last day for the GS promo today!

-d
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
Heads-up: last day for the GS promo today!

-d
What is the GS promo?
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Matt R. Sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
Cheers for the suggestion!

Well, how do I put this....we are aware of the need to be able to apply the reverb of one file to a different file, without having an actual IR....*grin*

-d
This is exciting!
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom View Post
What is the GS promo?
PM me for details. I'll be away from the office for another 2 hours, then I'll process my PMs.

-d
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Just did some realtime tests with a junky VO track. Typical home studio, room modes at 260 and 430Hz, plenty of early reflections and noise.
Used Unveil and followed that with iZotope RX2 on a channel insert. The combo was flat out amazing! It went from a cheap USB mic in a lousy room to '416 in my fully isolated VO booth!
Plugin controls were also properly mapped to the Xynergi panel. No surprises other then the huge sonic improvement.
I also like how you can both push and pull reverb. It's great for matching dialog perspectives.
Nice work Denis!
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks Bill, great to hear you're getting good results!

-d
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@AudioVision View Post
Just did some realtime tests with a junky VO track. Typical home studio, room modes at 260 and 430Hz, plenty of early reflections and noise.
Used Unveil and followed that with iZotope RX2 on a channel insert. The combo was flat out amazing! It went from a cheap USB mic in a lousy room to '416 in my fully isolated VO booth!
Plugin controls were also properly mapped to the Xynergi panel. No surprises other then the huge sonic improvement.
I also like how you can both push and pull reverb. It's great for matching dialog perspectives.
Nice work Denis!
Damn I was hoping you were going to report a fatal flaw. I just realized I missed the promo window! Downloaded the demo the other day but haven't tried it yet.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

I really wish I knew about this when the promo was going on. Oh well... :(
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

Does PT 10.3.3 solve the problem with preview and will it require a new version?

from Issues resolved in 10.3.3:
Plug-Ins with 4096 or more samples of latency now preview correctly in AudioSuite. Previously, errors -7104 or -7450 would occur. (PTSW-173329)
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quite possible that this fixes the issue, still on Christmas holidays so haven't had time to check. Would require a new UV build definitely though. I'll keep you posted (but am away from the office until early January).
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

That's awesome! Thank you avid! and dennis
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Noooooo, I missed the promo! Dammit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Olonga View Post
Sent from my GT-P1000 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Signature text.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

LOL on the signature text

Anyway, yes, thanks to Avid for such a quick fix - I'm pretty impressed at such a short turn-around time (assuming that it actually *is* fixed *grin*).

-d
7th January 2013
Old 7th January 2013
Gear interested

Are there any samples of using Unveil to remove reverb from dialog recorded with the mic on a laptop or webcam (gag)?
8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

8th January 2013
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

Hey all,

We're happy to announce UNVEIL version 1.6

V 1.6 will be available February 15th, 2013. We will be showing the new version at the NAMM show in Anaheim, January 24th-27th, 2013, Hall A Booth #6224 .

What’s new in UNVEIL v1.6:
  • Now also supports 64bit operation as VST on Windows systems.
  • For the AAX Plug-In, AudioSuite Preview functionality is now enabled for ProTools version 10.3.3 and above.
  • The RTAS plug-in now supports EuCon in ProTools.
  • Improved compatibility with Apple Final Cut Pro X.
  • Mac: Authorization now valid system-wide.
  • Mac: Authorizer app now launches on install.
  • Increased time-out and removed nag screens for the free trial version.

The free UNVEIL v1.6 update will be available from Zynaptiq February 15th, 2013.

Cheers!

-d
19th January 2013
Old 19th January 2013
Gear maniac

Bug: In Nuendo, UV's controls appear frozen when you try to apply to an individual clip. They work fine on a channel insert. Not a deal-breaker, but definite loss of function.

Denis, PM me if you want a full recipe. Don't know if it'll go away with UV1.6 and Nuendo6, both expected next month.

---

Update: Problem appears only when Nuendo is in 32 bit Mac mode. 64 bit Mac Nuendo is fine. Denis followed up and got full details.
21st January 2013
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Head

I'm really glad to hear that the new version will resolve the preview issue, and I'm super excited about the Eucon integration. Awesome work Denis!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search