Login / Register

Zynaptiq to introduce UNVEIL De-Reverberation & Signal Focusing Processor
New Reply
Subscribe
tilman
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Gear addict

So I tested it several times now... OMFG!
This is so adictive... I would love to have it in Protools
right now...

Now for the first time it would really be appropriate to call Unveil a game changer... if that term would not have been abused so much :-)

Big congratulations!
imdb
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

Dang, my list of must-have plugins is growing faster than my cash flow can keep up with! But this one just moved to the top of the list. I do most of my post work on PC so I'll be eagerly anticipating the VST version, but fortunately I also use Logic so I'll be able to start using it immediately. Nice work, guys. Just like with Melodyne DNA, this was an issue I though might never be mastered. Glad I was wrong again.
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Gear addict

BMT
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
BMT
Gear Head

I used this today for the first time and have to say it blew my mind. Great work!
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

This could be fantastic to remove room sound from audience reaction for live music and comedy recordings!

Will try soon.....

What is the latency? Is it possible to use in realtime?
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

IIRC, the latency is 4096 samples (though this is obviously compensated for on playback in a DAW). Additionally, the lower the I/O buffer size, the higher the CPU consumption. You'll want to have a minimum of 256 samples as buffer size, 512 or 1024 are recommendable.

So I wouldn't recommend using UNVEIL in a live-mixing situation, the play-through-delay would be too long. For mixing a live recording in the studio...fine.

--d
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

This sounds like the kind of thing I would process offline anyway.

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

This would be nice in RTAS/AAX right now. (for me anyway )
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
This would be nice in RTAS/AAX right now. (for me anyway )
I agree. I want to be clear. Will you offer the intro pricing when you release aax? I thought I saw you type this somewhere but I want to be clear.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

It is possible that there'll be some sort of promotional offer when VST & AAX Mac/Win become available, as we see no reason to put non-AudioUnits users at a significant disadvantage..... I'm afraid that's as clear as I can be on that at this point
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
It is possible that there'll be some sort of promotional offer when VST & AAX Mac/Win become available, as we see no reason to put non-AudioUnits users at a significant disadvantage..... I'm afraid that's as clear as I can be on that at this point
I can't wait for AAX. The AU format is extremely cumbersome to integrate into a post-production workflow. It's impossible to use unveil in the context of the rest of a scene. And hardly anyone in post uses Garageband or Logic to edit dialog
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, we're aware of that

It does however work in FCP and RX Advanced, two applications that post people are actually not unlikely to have on their machines (if they're on the Mac, that is). So to bridge the temporal gap between now and the AAX release, that's what a lot of our post users do.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

It does however work in FCP and RX Advanced, two applications that post people are actually not unlikely to have on their machines (if they're on the Mac, that is). So to bridge the temporal gap between now and the AAX release, that's what a lot of our post users do.
You mean export an entire scene to FCP, treat single clips and AAF back to PT? Don't think that's going to happen much. I might be wrong here but I personally don't know any dialog editor who uses FCP. In combination with PT that route is even more painful than using just the stand alone host of unveil and re-record back into PT via the optical out of the mac.

I do have RX (non advanced) but am sort of hesitant to invest another 800€ (not sure) for the upgrade just to host unveil till AAX comes out.

Any chance to let us save settings in the stand alone host that comes with unveil?

Does anyone know an alternative solution other than RX advanced? A simple AU host that lets you save plugin settings and maybe does batch-processing?

Thanks!
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
You mean export an entire scene to FCP, treat single clips and AAF back to PT? Don't think that's going to happen much. I might be wrong here but I personally don't know any dialog editor who uses FCP. In combination with PT that route is even more painful than using just the stand alone host of unveil and re-record back into PT via the optical out of the mac.

I do have RX (non advanced) but am sort of hesitant to invest another 800€ (not sure) for the upgrade just to host unveil till AAX comes out.

Any chance to let us save settings in the stand alone host that comes with unveil?

Does anyone know an alternative solution other than RX advanced? A simple AU host that lets you save plugin settings and maybe does batch-processing?

Thanks!
audiofile engineering wave editor.. Inexpensive and a very nice editor to boot.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

We would buy this today if it was RTAS / AAX
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to insomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahtao View Post
We would buy this today if it was RTAS / AAX
Same. Not having AAX makes this of little use to me. I demoed it with Live, but there's no way I could work that way.

samejnes.com | IMDb | Analog Jitter
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:

AWESOME! I use RX Advanced all the time in standalone mode as it works better for spectral stuff outside of PT.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
audiofile engineering wave editor.. Inexpensive and a very nice editor to boot.
Thanks, I'll try that.
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to stilts27 Send a message via Yahoo to stilts27
I do a lot of Post work...but I'm on PC (win7) w/ PT 10 and would love to buy/use/try this plug...but I can't take advantage of the intro price because AAX/Win won't be released until later this year (basically after June 1st)?
18th May 2012
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, for a full-blown feature with dozens/hundreds of tracks --- no, I agree, that won't happen. For de-reverberating two lav tracks for a documentary? I think that'd work fine. Anyway, AAX is incoming, so *all* of this is just a temporary hack anyway.

Quote:
Not in the short-term, I'm afraid.

Quote:
+1 on AudioFile Engineering, but for SampleManager -- a very inexpensive batch processor that hosts AU just fine.
18th May 2012
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilts27 View Post
I do a lot of Post work...but I'm on PC (win7) w/ PT 10 and would love to buy/use/try this plug...but I can't take advantage of the intro price because AAX/Win won't be released until later this year (basically after June 1st)?
Quote:
18th May 2012
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

All right, has anyone tested it on typical production dialog with too much reverb on it (like badly treated shooting stage for example)?

Kuba
18th May 2012
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

What is the hold up with aax and other formats? Let's go!!
18th May 2012
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I actually don't instant why a tool like this wasn't made for rtas\aax first and then everything else.
As its mostly a post tool. And most post is Pt's
And most post facilities are still in rtas/tdm
20th May 2012
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Head

I bought Unveil after demoing it for all of 10 minutes, I was that impressed. I also use RX advanced in standalone for spectral editing (mainly because you can't seem to play just the selection from within the PT AudioSuite window) and Unveil fits very neatly into that workflow. I do all my dialog edits and sometimes some eq first, then export chunks for RX processing. It's a bit of a pain, but worth it. I would call this plug a game-changer for sure - already feel like it's indispensable for doc work. I just tightened up a piece of ADR the director recorded in a hotel on an iPhone to match the rest of the scene - pre-Unveil it'd probably be unusable.

One suggestion - it would be nice if the Adaptation parameter reflected some meaningful value, like milliseconds. As I understand it, it's supposed to correspond with the reverb tail of the material you're working on so I think you could probably be more accurate if you could set it to a known value.

Looking forward to AAX!
23rd May 2012
Old 23rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
I bought Unveil after demoing it for all of 10 minutes, I was that impressed.
I was much more pragmatic, and demoed it for a full 15 minutes. This week I was handed several post projects with problematic location sound, so the time was right. I also pulled some of the worst clips from my last several projects. While it was unable to remove the loud tropical birds from a voiceover that was very intelligently recorded in a Peruvian jungle, in every case it made a marked improvement. Just as importantly, it did it very quickly. I was afraid it was going to have a steep learning curve, but it really is tailored to do what we post-types need it to do, and couldn't be much simpler. At its worst, it does at least as much as I can accomplish through a tweaky combination of expansion, Transient Designers, and EQ—but in about 1/10th the time. At its best, its simply astonishing. One thing I'd recommend when testing it, I think, is to listen more to how the source (focus) gets stronger and comes forward than to how much of the ambience and background are actually removed. This can be all that's needed in a mix context, and in some cases should render additional noise reduction unnecessary. This is a good one, and a bargain at that.
23rd May 2012
Old 23rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Glad to hear you're liking it :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
One suggestion - it would be nice if the Adaptation parameter reflected some meaningful value, like milliseconds. As I understand it, it's supposed to correspond with the reverb tail of the material you're working on so I think you could probably be more accurate if you could set it to a known value.
Noted. Numeric read-outs for the parameters have been requested a couple of times, we'll look into how to do that.

WRT "why not RTAS/AAX first"....well, AU as a format is a) very fast to code and b) a format that we've been coding in a lot, so we're very fast with that.
23rd May 2012
Old 23rd May 2012
Lives for gear

However, if the target market is also (if not primary) sound post production community, there is a need to keep in mind, that most of us work on ProTools...

And it is one of possible reasons, why there is so few reports about repairing roomy or out of axis production dialogs as the workflow is going to be problematic, when you need to switch between, let's say Logic (import, tweak, process, bounce) and ProTools (import, place to original time-code, and so on).

The whole concept looks really interesting and I always try to keep in mind my initial reaction about Melodyne DNS... If Unveil really works as promised, it will change the way we work and think about cleaning production tracks.

Waiting for reports
Best,
Kuba
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search