rcutz
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Gear addict

Graphic Card for Third Monitor

Hi Guys, I started my research with this duc post
Pro Tools Video Output Options Compendium - Avid Audio Forums

Did not fill up my mind.

I have a 2008 Mac pro, and I was willing to upgrade his graphic card.

2 options:

1- ATI Radeon 5770. The question here is if it really holds 3 monitors at once. There are some misleading info at the web regarding this.

2 - Black Magic Design Intensity Pro. In this option I will keep my actual mac graphic card, adding this to output the movie.

The hole Ideia is to have 2 monitors to pro tools windows and plugins and a third one to the video output.

Thanks for any input or user experience.

ricardo
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

I run 2 videocards outputting to 4 monitors. The 5770 will get you 3 monitors but you need a powered display port adapter for the minidisplay ports. If you dont have a powered adapter you can only run 2 monitors off the card. Apple sells one that is over course over priced. Scour newegg to find the correct one. I think it needs to deliver 5volts
rcutz
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
I run 2 videocards outputting to 4 monitors. The 5770 will get you 3 monitors but you need a powered display port adapter for the minidisplay ports. If you dont have a powered adapter you can only run 2 monitors off the card. Apple sells one that is over course over priced. Scour newegg to find the correct one. I think it needs to deliver 5volts
Hi JStorm. Thanks, I finally find the correct info regarding the 5770. Here it is:
Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac Pro (Mid 2010): Supported display configurations to those with the same ideas/needs

anybody who could share some experience with multiple video cards or the black magic?

thanks!
18th March 2012
Old 18th March 2012
Gear Head

I run macpro with
Gt120 graphic card
For 2 desktop display

Blackmagic decklink studio
1hdmi tv
1sdi monitor
1rgb monitor

Before i get the black magic, i was using a second gt120 graphic card
And place the quicktime video in the tv screen.

Now i get real video out and it's really usefull for client aprobation

It's frustrating when client ask is it really looking like this (about funal video)
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

The AMD Radeon HD 5870 works on Macs with Snow Leopard or Lion. It has two DVID outputs and one HDMI output. It takes up 2 PCIe slots.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
The AMD Radeon HD 5870 works on Macs with Snow Leopard or Lion. It has two DVID outputs and one HDMI output. It takes up 2 PCIe slots.
Thanks ggegan.
I found some posts on DUC with users of the black magic intensity, very, very happy. Considering it seriously.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

The Intensity Pro is a video card, so it will display video only, not the computer desktop. Graphic cards display the computer desktop, so you can display any application windows, as well as Quicktime video. The Quicktime video will have a frame around it and be resizable. I have both an Intensity Pro video card and the AMD Radeon HD 5870 graphics card in my HD Native Mac Pro, so that means I can run three computer desktop screens and two mirrored HDMI video screens.
rcutz
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
The Intensity Pro is a video card, so it will display video only, not the computer desktop. Graphic cards display the computer desktop, so you can display any application windows, as well as Quicktime video. The Quicktime video will have a frame around it and be resizable. I have both an Intensity Pro video card and the AMD Radeon HD 5870 graphics card in my HD Native Mac Pro, so that means I can run three computer desktop screens and two mirrored HDMI video screens.
Hi ggegan! This is the feedback I`m looking for. Thanks!

I want to be economic on that matter, so I have that choice: work with one Radeon (5770, 5870, etc...) and put the QuickTime in third desktop monitor, like I do today with the second monitor. Or go to the Intensity, keeping my actual graphic card (that give me 2 desktop monitors) and playing the video thru the video card.

Thanks for the clarify that point graphic card vs video card, I`m aware of it even if I can`t "elaborated" that way.

3 monitors plus a video card, would b great... but now... I need be economic.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search