New Reply
Subscribe
D'Animation
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear addict

Skype to monitor VO session - setup Q

Hi,

I've a show where 2 execs would like to link in to the recording session here via Skype. We are fully setup for Source Connect with TB mics and the optical loop between the mac and 192 interface so I'm thinking that I route everything the same - if I install Skype on my mac and route everything (talent mic/TB mics) to the mac optical IN to Skype, and have the execs come through the optical OUT on the mac and routed to the talents headphone feed/studio monitors - I should be good to go?

I could always setup a laptop but then I've no way of passing audio directly between the execs and the talent so I think its very messy.
Any thoughts are welcome!
Many thanks
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear addict

Bingo!

I've actually started using Skype instead of my old Getner for phone patches( like you I also do the same patch for SC). Just make sure you go into the Audio/Video tab in preferences to set up the in and out.

Oh and one warning... Skype is often a little funky, even with a decent internet connection.... be prepared for some dropped audio between you and the client and the odd "Did we get...?" questions.
"Nice Camera... how's the f#$%ing script?" - Adrian Langley
D'Animation
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear addict

Great thanks Howard
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

I'm lovin' Skype for those "Oh BTW, I also have to have legal listen in, and the Account Exec. who's in Miami on vacation..."
I do make it a habit of giving out the studio land line number, because Skype makes no sound if it drops a call (would be nice) to avoid that "We didn't hear anything after the third paragraph".
I also like that it doesn't use standard phone bandwidth - it's a little better if you are connected computer to computer.

Certified Fairlight phanatiks
Bill Trousdale, CAS - Proprietor
www.AudioVisionPS.com
D'Animation
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear addict

Well that worked well - absolute pain to setup but once we were going didn't have to touch it really....File > Save as Template!
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Hi,
I once was in a hurry to set up a skype connection and I decided to place a good microphone and a small speaker connected to a laptop in the room. Feedback was not a problem at my gain settings. Placing the speaker at the mics "butt" helped too.
Of course during takes I had to mute the speaker to record in silence. It worked reasonably well

Cheers!
1st April 2013
Old 1st April 2013
Gear interested

thanks very useful
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Kan Kaban
Vsee is another alternative. You can do meetings till 12 people at a time, and every connection is P2P with proper encryption. With Skype there´s no security, every connection happens into a server.

If security is an issue, try it: VSee: Remote Teamwork :: VSee (I´m not related to the product at all) It´s free.
10th April 2013
Old 10th April 2013
Gear interested

10th April 2013
Old 10th April 2013
Gear interested

So for the optical loop are you syncing to the 192's optical? My Mac, 10.6.8 needs to be the master, which I never really felt comfortable with.
11th April 2013
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Been using Skype for a few years now. I have a dedicated USB sound card for Skype. I just patch the IO into a channel on the 192 and done..set up a send in the session to monitor back in. In PT I just put a send on the record track that goes to the Skype IO. Direct feed off of the mic to Skype. No hassle. Within the same session I have it patched to source connect and source Live so all options are going simultaneously. Done this for at least 5 years with Zero issues. Dedicated sound card for Skype makes things very simple and reliable IMHO.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search