Studio one xlr converter box.
Aston
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear interested

Studio one xlr converter box.

Hey all,

here's my setup. Boom and mics into 302 mixer, using breakaway cable with monitor return to studio one BP xlr converter box. The headphone return cable is plugged into the headphone hack on the box. Then the box is plugged into the canon 60.

Here's the issue. When the camera guy plugs into the headphone split hack, its really Loud and has no way of adjusting his volume. Any suggestions? This is my first time using this kind of box for the cannon. Usually run separate from camera but would like to have something to"tape" for reference in post. The signal is find but there's no volume adjust for the cameraman at the split.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Head

It's look like
Line level out in mic input

Try outputing from 302 xlr as mic level to 1/8 canon

Canon camera are automatic gain control, if you use magic lantern firmware hack, you will be able to set a fix input level in canon!

I hope this help !
Aston
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear interested

Its going to the converter box first before the canon. That's the issue. Not the automatic gain control on the camera. The problem is the headphone return when plugged into the converter box has no volume adjust
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

built in's

there are pro headphones available with built in volume control, those such can's are used in these kinds of situations and in recording studio's for musicians to have closer control over volume. I have about five pair's of califone brand school student type headphones that work great for musicians and crew alike. They have a volume pot directly on each phone to control left and right stereo signals.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANQUILO View Post
there are pro headphones available with built in volume control, those such can's are used in these kinds of situations and in recording studio's for musicians to have closer control over volume. I have about five pair's of califone brand school student type headphones that work great for musicians and crew alike. They have a volume pot directly on each phone to control left and right stereo signals.
I was going to suggest that, but I don't think he's talking about headphones, since he's talking about going to tape. I think he's talking about overloading the 1/8" input on the BP xlr.
Aston
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk@jamsync.com View Post
I was going to suggest that, but I don't think he's talking about headphones, since he's talking about going to tape. I think he's talking about overloading the 1/8" input on the BP xlr.
Exactly. Its too loud and with out any volume control. I may try those headphones though. I feel like it should have a fix without those tho

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Gearslutz.com
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for experience

3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Sounds like you need a passive attenuator. Take a look at this (he makes first-class stuff!):

http://www.peterengh.com/pdf/remote-...rol_062010.pdf

That's what the Koss is, but it has the 1/8" plug. Bear in mind the 1/8" jack on the box is not an output, but an input. I was thinking the problem was the volume going into the Canon. There's no "headphone hack" for monitoring from the box. You could split the output from the box before going to the Canon, but that doesn't seem to be what the OP was talking about. Since he mentioned "tape", I was assuming the issue is overdriving the Canon. If the camera guy is listening from a split and that's the problem, then, yeah, there are lots of headphones with volume controls.

I've worked with the 5D MkII a lot and the last thing I would want to deal with is another XLR cable and another little box to rig into the system. It's hard enough worrying about keeping your balance while walking and shooting with an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search