New Reply
Subscribe
Whitecat
30th October 2011
Old 30th October 2011
GS Community Manager

Pro Tools 10 & HDX For Post

Discussion goes here!

Thread rules: stay on-topic (PT10 for post applications only!), don't moan incessantly (take whining to the other PT10 forum), and just be cool.

Aaaaannd... go!

Gearslutz on Facebook!

My personal Twitter - @WhitecatTV
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
Aaaaannd... go!
OK, so how does PT10 'feel' vs PT8 and 9 on the GUI responsiveness side in post-specific sessions with at least 120-150 channels? Do you find that you can scroll around, zoom, mix and edit easier while the playback is running?

I have not upgraded to 9, but I might upgrade to 10, because of the increased Nuendo AAF compatibility....
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to cjguitar Send a message via Skype™ to cjguitar
I do feel that it's more reliable and responsive in comparison to PT9. I've got a few sessions that are running up to 192 voices and I've had far fewer problems than in PT9. I usually work with continuous scrolling while zooming in and out and it is flawless. Editing is quick and responsive, play starts and stops are near instant, even with 3 systems linked together through Satellite Link and Avid DNxHD 1080P video playing out a Decklink HD card, with no stuttering I might add (that's s t u t t e r i n g, don't know why that's substituting a smiley).
IMDB
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

how much is actually needed for the disk-caches on a typical 90 minute projects?

we normally mix our tv-features out of one system with about 100 tracks + auxes/busses and would love a more responsive workstation.
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi View Post
how much is actually needed for the disk-caches on a typical 90 minute projects?

we normally mix our tv-features out of one system with about 100 tracks + auxes/busses and would love a more responsive workstation.
This is a good question. The user guide did not state it so clearly. Now I have 2.6 gigas - un-cleaning fx`s editing sessions filling just 1 Giga RAM (all that I have available by know.
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Gear addict

Mac os 10.7 - lion

Hi Guys.

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. Are any one using it along PT 10?
I`m using it along 10.6.7.

My computer was ultra stabel, PT 10 is running like a charm...

There is any advantage to move towards 10.7, for the professional uso o PT 10.7?

I only can see Icloud - but it`s more recreation side then professional.

All the best.
ricardo
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Gearslutz.com admin

OK I moved some of your threads back to this sub forum!
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

24 hour timeline / timecode compatibility, I love that update. That plus clip gain, I'm going to update as soon as my associates do.
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
OK I moved some of your threads back to this sub forum!
Thanks Jules! We appreciate it.
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to cjguitar Send a message via Skype™ to cjguitar
It depends. Get info on your audio files folder, and that should give you an idea how much you need to allocate in PT10. Not to say that you won't benefit with less ram, in fact even with just 1 GB available for Disk Cache, you'll see benefits, as it loads the session dynamically into Ram around the play head (where the cursor is parked). First it loads what's on the timeline in a 2:1 ratio around the playhead, and then if/when that's all loaded it will start to load the rest of the audio (handles from files and from region bin). This all happens transparently in the background, with no interaction from the user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi View Post

31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

thanks jules!

I have a couple questions for maybe dr. sound or someone who's been with 10 for a bit.

When timeline cached gets to 100% my disk cache is inly around 50% full however it keeps filling the disk cache to 100%. Does anyone know whats going on here?

Also is cpu (clip) under the system usage window the cpu usage of rendering all clip gain AND fades?
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Gear maniac

I have another question.

Are the HDX cards coming out later this year? I haven't been able to get an answer from any dealer.

I want to try pro tools 10, but I don't want to spend the $599 if it will come free with my card update.
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
thanks jules!

I have a couple questions for maybe dr. sound or someone who's been with 10 for a bit.

When timeline cached gets to 100% my disk cache is inly around 50% full however it keeps filling the disk cache to 100%. Does anyone know whats going on here?

Also is cpu (clip) under the system usage window the cpu usage of rendering all clip gain AND fades?
When the timeline is completely cached, PT10 begins to cache the files in the clip list until the cache is full.
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Peter Morrison
According to AVID then yes.

Also, they say that if you are planning to buy/cross grade if you talk to your dealer they can hook you up with the PT10 license now and then exchange hardware later when it is available.

No experience with this, just what I heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Baxter Put View Post
I have another question.

Are the HDX cards coming out later this year? I haven't been able to get an answer from any dealer.

I want to try pro tools 10, but I don't want to spend the $599 if it will come free with my card update.

Creative Producer
Hilton Media Management
www.hiltonmm.com

Find me online
www.PeterKMorrison.com
www.imdb.com/name/nm2947879/
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to insomaniac
I've been running PT 10 for a bit on Lion, and this system has been incredibly snappy and responsive. I recently did a feature temp where we set up my Mac Book Pro (older i7 model) on the dub stage and politely shoved the v8 HD 5 system aside. Ran like a dream (and saved time having to "Save Copy In..." as a .ptf for v8).

I've also made great use of the "Export Selected Tracks as New Session" feature, which is just as useful as one would expect. I had to hand of a few tracks of Dx, and this turned a multi-step process into a few clicks.

And don't get me started on how helpful clip gain has been... Big thumbs up on this one.

samejnes.com | IMDb | Analog Jitter
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
When the timeline is completely cached, PT10 begins to cache the files in the clip list until the cache is full.
Now that's interesting. Hmm, now to take a hard look at some of my regular show templates.
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Gear addict

I have 20 stereo tracks of music in my show template, with different cues on grouped playlists. PT10 stunned me when I switched playlists (all 20 tracks with new material), hit play, then hit undo while the transport was rolling. The old playlists came up, and the switch was almost immediately audible. In any older version of Pro Tools it would have taken a long time before those tracks started playing the current playlist.

Something very different is happening in the disk access. This session was too big to fit entirely into my RAM cache.

MacPro Harpertown 2.8Ghz 8-core, 8GB RAM, 10.6.8, Pro Tools 10.0.0 with Complete Production Toolkit 2, Quicktime 7.6.6, Digi 003, Control|24, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, eSATA hotswap tower, Soundminer 4, Waves, Lexicon, Audio Ease, Melodyne, SoundToys, Izotope RX, Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack...
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Gear nut

Using PT10HD + ISIS + Video Satellite + System 5 Hybrid; pretty much the whole Avid product line.

Experiencing zero AAF export and import errors with linked-only AAFs, whereas we were often hunting down corrupt media with embedded or copy-all. Not having to convert formats/SR/bit depth is a huge plus. One hour programs take a few minutes to calculate waveforms the first time, but we can play audio off the ISIS almost immediately after importing the AAF.

Clip-gain, Channel Strip, and Edit Tool Lock are a huge plus. Channel Strip maps to the control surface almost identically to the System 5's own channel processing.

Having Preview and some of the other automation features now available on soft-keys is great but the layouts still feel a little clumsy. I'd like to see custom soft-key pages and more(any) utilization of the small soft-key pannel. Eucon/Hybrid feels more stable but I've had a few unexpected quits that I feel are Eucon related.

There have been some other unexpected quits during normal editing and session saving. This is NOT on a clean install, just an upgrade over 9.0.5 so holding off judgement.

Satellite is great but still needs to fail more gracefully when PT is in a 'complex' transport setup (loop-playback, pre-roll at the top of the sequence, etc)

We have started to do some initial high-track count(128) record testing and it's tossing up lots of disc-too-slow errors. This is allocated across three internal drives which our other PT9HD system handles fine. Again, holding off judgement until we defrag the drives.

Overall, I'm very, very happy with PT10HD.

James Slanger
Chicago

Stop. Think. Listen.

Last edited by soundthinker; 1st November 2011 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: Added real name.
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'd love to know how CPU-taxing is the new channel strip. Can you automate the enable/disable of specific elements in the chain and save CPU in that way (ie enable the compression, filter or eq only when needed)?
If so (and the GUI design tells me it could be possible), than maybe it could be run on all channels in a session?
Anyone care to do a stress test by duplicating a mono channel with the strip on the insert?
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Gear nut

I don't think PT can reallocate processing while playing without potentially interrupting the audio.

RE: Channel Strip

I've got 100 tracks with it on the first 5 inserts (500 total) and the CPU(Native) fluctuates between 70 and 74%. 8-Core 3Ghz Mac Pro, 16GB ram.
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundthinker View Post
I've got 100 tracks with it on the first 5 inserts (500 total) and the CPU(Native) fluctuates between 70 and 74%. 8-Core 3Ghz Mac Pro, 16GB ram.
Well, that is very good!
But why do you need all those channel strips? :P
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
But why do you need all those channel strips? :P
What do you mean? How many does it take you?
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Gear Head

Using it. Loving it. Clip gain is great. I see why Nuendo users can't live without it.
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundthinker View Post
What do you mean? How many does it take you?
Hey, sorry, that was a practical joke (not successful, obviously), but I used the ASCII goof smiley (tongue out) - :P - instead of the graphical one - like this -

Anyway, your test result is exactly what I wanted to hear - thanks!
2nd November 2011
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Hey, sorry, that was a practical joke (not successful, obviously)
No, I totally got it and was trying to reply in kind! I had initially referenced Spinal Tap "it's got one more," and just forgot to put the when I changed the joke.
2nd November 2011
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
I'd love to know how CPU-taxing is the new channel strip. Can you automate the enable/disable of specific elements in the chain and save CPU in that way (ie enable the compression, filter or eq only when needed)?
If so (and the GUI design tells me it could be possible), than maybe it could be run on all channels in a session?
Anyone care to do a stress test by duplicating a mono channel with the strip on the insert?
I made a small test here:

12 dx tracks
10 stereo mx tracks
8 mono fx tracks
8 stereo fx tracks
15 mono foley tracks

(understanding that I have all pre-mixed)

1 Channelstrip on each one track.

But I added 4 stereo altiverbs
4 Aux sends in each one of those audiotracks
3 - 5.1 AUX STEM TRACKS
and 3 5.1 RECORDING TRACKS.

47% of CPU use on a macbook pro i5 mid 2010.
4 GIGA RAM. but now, I just got notice that the System Usage window now have CPU (NATIVE) & CPU (CLIP) indicators...

So doing this test without any audio on the tracks, I don`t now how much conclusive this test could be.

I also would like to say that turning off the EQ or the DYN section of the plugin, didn`t make any difference at all.

I hope it helps.
Ricardo
2nd November 2011
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

(Late to the party). Still no offline bounce?
2nd November 2011
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

On an HD6 system running on an 8 core Harpertown Mac Pro (2008), 7 cores dedicated to Pro Tools, session contains 192 mono tracks. CPU usage prior to instantiating plugins = 3%:

One Native Channel Strip per track = 30% of CPU

One Native EQ3 7 band plus one Native Dyn3 per track = 36% of CPU

McDSP RTAS G Console = 84% of CPU

McDSP RTAS G Console Compact = 48% of CPU

192 instances of DMG Equality plus 126 instances of DMG Compassion = 46% of CPU

note: 192 tracks of Equality used 9%, but there is some sort of issue with Compassion. If I try to add more than about 126 instances after instantiating Equality it crashed PT every time. Instantiating Compassion only, I would crash after about 150 instances. I don't think it is overloading CPU capacity, it seems to be some other issue.

192 DMG Equality plus 192 McDSP 6030 Ultimate Compressor = 33% of CPU
2nd November 2011
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahtao View Post
(Late to the party). Still no offline bounce?
That's in the cards for v11 when they ditch RTAS and TDM plugins and go AAX-only. Better chance at just running the native version for offline bounces.

Thanks for sharing those stats gentlemen.
5th November 2011
Old 5th November 2011
Gear maniac

Thanks for the info and stats guys. Gosh it's so nice to read an informed and informative thread on PT10 without mucking through the trash threads on the other forum. Thanks guys for keeping it to the point.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search