Pro Tools 10 & HDX For Post
Old 21st November 2012
Gear nut

Hey Ryan, an single HDX system is approximately 2.1 times stronger than an HD3|Accel, so you should definitely feel the difference. On ProTools 10 HD, you will also FINALLY be able to use the Maximum Delay Compensation of like 16k samples, instead of the Long at between 4 and 5k samples.

And, you'll have an extra PCI slot!

A BIG thing to remember and look into is plug-in compatibility. Here's a link to a list of current AAX supported plug-ins (not sure how often it gets updated):

AAX Plug-ins List (Avid and 3rd Party) - Avid Audio Forums

If you switch to HDX, I believe TDM plug-ins will no longer be supported. Only RTAS and AAX are supported under HDX systems. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong. Some manufacturers have talked about making the AAX switch - some already have. I believe Waves said that they aren't jumping on board with that at all, so if you use a lot of Waves, you might have to rethink the switch or find alternatives.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
Old 21st November 2012
Chris, thanks very much for your response. As far as I know TDM will not work with HDX and there are quite a few manufacturers who have made the switch or are switching to AAX (one of the most recent, and one I imagine everyone is pretty happy about, is Cedar DNS). When I saw the release of HDX and the AAX format at AES in 2010, and heard from people on the floor that Waves were most likely NOT going to make the jump, I began to lessen my use of Waves products in anticipation. There are so many other manufacturers who are making the switch who make wonderful and in some ways even better plugins.

One of my bigger questions is the advan/disadvan to a dual system running Native vs single system HDX. Is anyone using or experienced both ways of working and have any opinions?

Thanks!!
Old 21st November 2012
Gear nut

Ryan, what are you using for 5.1 downmixing these days? That's a big switch I'd have to make from Waves. Otherwise, I'm similar to you in that I've lessened my dependency on Waves. WNS and the 360 bundle gets a fair amount of use from me though.
Old 21st November 2012
I use the Minnetonka SurCode PLII for LtRt, but I do still use the Waves M360 Mixdown as well. WNS is on almost every Prod track (and even some ADR as well), so I would love to make the jump to DNS (but it is a huge $$ jump)...totally worth it though from what I hear. I have used it before and it does work AMAZINGLY well, and now with reNOVAtor being Mac compatible, those 2 tools can take care of almost every issue I come across. I am a huge RX user and fan and that has been amazing Since I do a lot of Indie film work and Reality TV, production audio "smutz" is a daily headache. I am beginning to think that those are the things I should place more of an investment in. Thanks again.

Best...
Old 1st August 2013
Gear interested

pro tools suggestions

Hi Im a rookie when it comes to using pro tools. I would like to know the best way to properly fade and add re verb onto my audio tracks. I know these options were easy to add using adobe audition but I seem to be having problems when it comes to pro tools. Also what features does Logic have that Pro tools does not offer.?
Old 1st August 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody13 View Post
Hi Im a rookie when it comes to using pro tools. I would like to know the best way to properly fade and add re verb onto my audio tracks. I know these options were easy to add using adobe audition but I seem to be having problems when it comes to pro tools. Also what features does Logic have that Pro tools does not offer.?
Pro Tools gives you several options for doing every single task, so the easiest way depends on what your workflow demands of you. One simple way to fade is to highlight the beginning or end of an audio clip section (make sure your selection goes past the clip's boarder) and type Command-F . This pulls up the Fade dialog box where you can choose what type of fade to use (and there's a handy Preview button, so you can hear it before you commit to it). The same thing applies to cross fades. As for reverb, the EASIEST way is to insert a reverb plug-in directly on your track. The plug in window should pop up and you'll look for a Wet/Dry control which you'll adjust for the wet/dry sound balance. The "proper" way to add reverb is to create a stereo auxiliary track, add a reverb insert, then bus your audio to that auxiliary track using sends. You then use the send fader to adjust the amount of verb wanted.

As for what Logic offers that Pro Tools can't, I think it's just ease of use for music CREATION. PT is great for recording, mixing, and editing music, but Logic is great for creating music. However, I'm not a Logic user, so I can't say much more than that.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search