Login / Register

Pro Tools 10 & HDX For Post
New Reply
Subscribe
7th December 2011
Old 7th December 2011

My Recordings/Credits

just installed PT10 on a intel quad core on 10.6.8. Using ProRemote for fun. Did my first film trailer using an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 with 2 screens 22" flat, also a Blackmagic intensity pro on a third 22" flatscreen, video running was HD 1080p. ran 15 tracks of Dialogue/Music/SFX.... ran well no glitches... All native.

Liking it.

The clip gain is very handy for fixing gross dialogue level issues. I haven't played with it for detail work yet. The Channel strips is nice. Used it alot. I've just started playing with the new Verb that comes with PT10... ...ok. not wildly impressed.

Overall, i'm happy with it and will be upgrading the rest of the systems this month.

We also added a new PICe Raid controller with an 8 disk tower running JABOD... love it. Huge amount of data at my finger tips.

cheers
geo
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear nut

Have tried PT10 in a friend's studio. I have PT9 but due to the ridiculous pricing strategy I'll maybe not upgrade. IMHO the update looks like a "copy" of my Nuendo 5.5 Neverthelss, I would update to 10 for, say 300, but 600 bucks for functions I already have with another DAW is..kind of questionable.
17th December 2011
Old 17th December 2011
Gear interested

PT 10

Is PT10 able to make changes to the gain/fades(both the beginning and end of a track)/mutes on and off/and able to delete audio clips without having to stop whilst locked to picture? With some DAW's it's possible to hear a piece of audio and effect a change (gain/fade/mute etc) when it's gone through without needing to stop. I'm not a PT user but am considering getting one if it's able to carry out these tasks.
17th December 2011
Old 17th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWIMA View Post
Is PT10 able to make changes to the gain/fades(both the beginning and end of a track)/mutes on and off/and able to delete audio clips without having to stop whilst locked to picture? With some DAW's it's possible to hear a piece of audio and effect a change (gain/fade/mute etc) when it's gone through without needing to stop. I'm not a PT user but am considering getting one if it's able to carry out these tasks.

Yes PT can do all those things

Greetings,

Thierry
Whitecat
17th December 2011
Old 17th December 2011
GS Community Manager

Just booked in a film sound edit which has to be done in PT due to the usual upstream requests - it will be my first job in PT10, so I will report back in January. Going to do an LCR edit (DX/FX) and then a premix as well (all very indie, as you can imagine)... should be interesting. No showstoppers for anyone yet I hope?

Gearslutz on Facebook!

My personal Twitter - @WhitecatTV
19th December 2011
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
No showstoppers for anyone yet I hope?
I haven't even had a single crash in PT10. I've been using it since the last week of October.

Alistair
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I haven't even had a single crash in PT10. I've been using it since the last week of October.

Alistair
Steady as a rock here, but only been using it a couple of weeks.

Some of the plugins have been refreshed to allow for the new Audiosuite settings, one example is vari-fi. Problem is, I've installed PT10 once, and the plugins/instruments TWICE and they are not updating, what's up with that?

Might it be because I'm using a PT HD|2 system here and hence, the refreshed plugins will all be AAX and not TDM anymore?
kdm
20th December 2011
Old 20th December 2011
kdm
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
No showstoppers for anyone yet I hope?
No audio problems with 10. Midi is another story (for composers at least) - large midi track counts cause unbearable delays with tempo editing and significant delays with other midi functions.

Won't affect audio/post work, but fwiw, that's the only showstopper so far. Back to 9 for me I'm afraid since there's no telling when it will be fixed.
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
Gear interested

pt10

I'm slightly annoyed that PT10 (not HD) hasn't got the disk cache stuff! I feel that avid have not been clear on the matter. I really had to dig to find info about it. Also when you buy Pt upgrade on their store it says: "Get great responsiveness on slower hard drives with the enhanced disk cache" . Which apparently isn't the RAM disk stuff. Am I the only one that didn't realize this?

I think they should of made that clearer when they were announcing the new version.

Seems everything else is working nice though! Though I haven't got the new Vari-fi plugin that is in their videos.

greetings,
Robin
Whitecat
24th December 2011
Old 24th December 2011
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBarstow View Post
I'm slightly annoyed that PT10 (not HD) hasn't got the disk cache stuff! I feel that avid have not been clear on the matter. I really had to dig to find info about it. Also when you buy Pt upgrade on their store it says: "Get great responsiveness on slower hard drives with the enhanced disk cache" . Which apparently isn't the RAM disk stuff. Am I the only one that didn't realize this?

I think they should of made that clearer when they were announcing the new version.

Seems everything else is working nice though! Though I haven't got the new Vari-fi plugin that is in their videos.

greetings,
Robin
The Complete Production Toolkit does add the RAM cacheing though, so if you're like me and already have that license it makes the upgrade an even better value.
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBarstow View Post

greetings,
Robin
If you need a RAM Disk solution (outside of Pro Tools), you might be interested in this thread: RAM Drive for lightening fast DAW response

Alistair
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
If you need a RAM Disk solution (outside of Pro Tools), you might be interested in this thread: RAM Drive for lightening fast DAW response

Alistair
It is worth looking at that, and I don't know of a solution for OS X that can write RAM data to disk while it is being written to RAM (if you get what I mean). So BE CAREFUL with these solutions as you can definitely get burned if you don't write your memory to disk frequently.
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Gear interested

pt10 ramdisk

Ok thanks, Ill check that out! Still bloody bad advertising by avid... ok im over it. sortof.
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear interested

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about doing a PT 8 LE -> PT 10 upgrade through my Sweetwater rep. I've asked him about mixing surround sound in 10, and he assures me that the option is included but I'm still skeptical from what I've seen on Avid's site. Isn't surround sound (both 7.1 and 5.1) only included in HD and 10 with the included Complete Production Toolkit?

Surely one of you with the straight up PT 10 can help me out please!

Also, as a side-note, how is the OMF and AAF working out? (both OMF/AAF and surround sound would pretty much be my main reason for upgrading).
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to insomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschybach View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about doing a PT 8 LE -> PT 10 upgrade through my Sweetwater rep. I've asked him about mixing surround sound in 10, and he assures me that the option is included but I'm still skeptical from what I've seen on Avid's site. Isn't surround sound (both 7.1 and 5.1) only included in HD and 10 with the included Complete Production Toolkit?

Surely one of you with the straight up PT 10 can help me out please!

Also, as a side-note, how is the OMF and AAF working out? (both OMF/AAF and surround sound would pretty much be my main reason for upgrading).
You are correct, you'll need either PT 10 HD or PT 10 w/ the CPTK to enable surround mixing.

As for AAF/OMF import, things are just peachy. Not having to worry about Digi Translator anymore is awesome.

samejnes.com | IMDb | Analog Jitter
21st January 2012
Old 21st January 2012
Gear interested

Thank you Sam! Much appreciated! I guess maybe it's still worth the upgrade, because I can always edit and mix in PT, and then export via OMF to Soundtrack Pro for a final 5.1 mix. Silly that Soundtrack Pro has surround sound mixing and PT requires extra doh for it... *sigh*

--Matt Eschbach
22nd January 2012
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear addict

We're getting multiple DAE errors and a couple of crashes a day here with PT 10 right now. Anyone else experiencing this?
22nd January 2012
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear addict

HDX on a Quad core Mac

Hi all

Anyone working with Protools, with an HDX card in a 2010 generation Quad Core Mac?
Im really curious as to how well the quad handles everything not HDX card related. How much or little power it has for the native AAX plugs, video etc.
Thanks alot.

Best wishes

Mikkel
15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
Gear addict

Hi all

So I bought a Quad to go with the HDX card. Couldnt be happier.
Everything works flawlessly (so far....)

I can see why you should go with an 8core or more if going native, but with my HDX card onboard Im safe.
Still able to run a big amount of native plugs, like Altiverbs etc. Dosent take up to much cpu.

Thanks all
20th February 2012
Old 20th February 2012
Gear Head

Anyone using PT10HD connecting to and Editshare system?

Wondering if it's possible to get the benefits of streaming A/V as they promise with ISIS with an Editshare NAS rather than localizing files every job.
23rd February 2012
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebus View Post
Anyone using PT10HD connecting to and Editshare system?

Wondering if it's possible to get the benefits of streaming A/V as they promise with ISIS with an Editshare NAS rather than localizing files every job.
Hi everyone,

I would be very interested on an answer on that topic too!

plus, is there any new workflow implementation on PT10 to work in collaboration with media composer in terms of data exchange, session conform, linked edit and so on?
24th February 2012
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl. View Post
Hi everyone,

I would be very interested on an answer on that topic too!

plus, is there any new workflow implementation on PT10 to work in collaboration with media composer in terms of data exchange, session conform, linked edit and so on?
I can't comment on the second question but I answered the first one here: PT10 with Editshare?
28th March 2012
Old 28th March 2012
Gear interested

Basic HDX Setup

I am looking to put together a Pro Tools 10 HDX rig for post production purposes. I am looking to keep it at an affordable price so I am considering the following setup.

PT10 HDX running on OSX10.7
HDX OMNI Hardware
Artist Series Mix Interface (8 Fader Bank)

With the setup, I want to use the HDX OMNI as my monitor unit too, taking 2 outputs to a set of active speakers. This will leave the HDX OMNI front panel as my only means of adjusting Control Room Level. I will also need to take another output of my main monitor path to a set of PPM meters, and obviously avoid the OMNI Control Room Level adjustments.

Can anyone see any issues with this setup? I know it's all fairly simple but just want a second opinion before I commit money to the idea.

For clarity, it would be good to know where the control room monitor output physically come out of the back of the HDX OMNI. I understand that the TRS outputs can mirror you main output path, but is this in addition to the Control Room Level affected output?

Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
I am looking to put together a Pro Tools 10 HDX rig for post production purposes. I am looking to keep it at an affordable price so I am considering the following setup.

PT10 HDX running on OSX10.7
HDX OMNI Hardware
Artist Series Mix Interface (8 Fader Bank)

With the setup, I want to use the HDX OMNI as my monitor unit too, taking 2 outputs to a set of active speakers. This will leave the HDX OMNI front panel as my only means of adjusting Control Room Level. I will also need to take another output of my main monitor path to a set of PPM meters, and obviously avoid the OMNI Control Room Level adjustments.

Can anyone see any issues with this setup? I know it's all fairly simple but just want a second opinion before I commit money to the idea.

For clarity, it would be good to know where the control room monitor output physically come out of the back of the HDX OMNI. I understand that the TRS outputs can mirror you main output path, but is this in addition to the Control Room Level affected output?

Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.
There are new options in the pro tools i/o setup that allow you to assign what output paths are controlled by the monitor controller. So yes you should he able to route the same signal out of 2 sets of outputs, one controlled by monitor section and one not.
10th July 2012
Old 10th July 2012
Gear nut

Anyone recorded to a network drive yet? We edit our templates now off of a network drive, but I am still skeptical of recording any narration or live tracks to them. Just curious.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2261524/
www.hoboaudio.com

------------------------------------

"One should delight in every new achievement; for stagnation leads to smugness and ultimately to sterility" - Heinrich Harrer
10th July 2012
Old 10th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN View Post
Have tried PT10 in a friend's studio. I have PT9 but due to the ridiculous pricing strategy I'll maybe not upgrade. IMHO the update looks like a "copy" of my Nuendo 5.5 Neverthelss, I would update to 10 for, say 300, but 600 bucks for functions I already have with another DAW is..kind of questionable.
600 bucks?

You can upgrade from PT8 to PT10 for $399, maybe even a few bucks less.

I think you can go from 9 to 10 for even less.

It's not dirt-cheap, but it's definitely not $600.
17th October 2012
Old 17th October 2012
Gear interested

Running PT 10.3, trying to write volume automation in Latch mode but it is writing before the playhead. Is this a delay compensation issue?
17th October 2012
Old 17th October 2012
Gear addict

Not 100% sure, but I think 10.3 has quite a nasty automation bug.
10.3.2 should be fine.
17th October 2012
Old 17th October 2012
Gear interested

great, i'll try updating. thanks!
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to RBillia
HDX vs Native vs Multi-System

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been answered previously or in other threads. I have looked around quite a bit and gotten some different opinions here and there, but I am wondering about the the differences and possibly pros/cons of:

An HDX system on a single computer (maybe an HDX2)

vs

Dual system HD Native on 2 screaming, TOTL Mac Pros

My current single TDM system (HD2 on a MacPro 5,1), definitely chokes up during film mixes and because of that I am looking to upgrade significantly. My mix template has:

8 x mono DX
4 x mono PFX
2 x stereo MX
8 x mono FX
8 x stereo FX
4 x mono Foley
4 x mono FS
2 x mono verb
2 x 5.1 verb
4 x 5.1 sub mixes
4 x 5.1 folddown auxes
4 x 5.1 print tracks
4 x stereo folddown print tracks
4 x VCAs

Most tracks have EQ, comp/gate (for denoising), de-esser, and WNS
Altiverb for reverbs

**My TV mix template is slightly paired down and with the addition of a VO track and corresponding auxes**

When I begin to go over that track count or add much more processing it really begins to slow things down, run out of DSP, crashes, the usual anoying issues that kill a mix.

I also run the video out a Mojo (planning on replacing with Intensity Pro card) on the same computer but videos live on separate internal drive. I am planning on changing that to using another computer for video playback via Video Satellite.

Before HDX came out, I would have just gotten a second TDM rig, but with the specs of an HDX rig, I am wondering how people are finding it as a single system for medium size film mixes?

I am wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages to using a single HDX system to a multi-native system (the costs are pretty comparable when you take everything into account)? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!!
Owner/Engineer
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search