Login / Register

Solutions for True Peak / Intersample Peak limiting that really work?
New Reply
Subscribe
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

I use the Nugen ISL

so far no issues, sound pretty clean too. I put it on at the very end of my chain sometimes in addition to what I would normally use (ML4000 and the like) so it is there as a safety net only
11th January 2013
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

I was thinking that it would be cool if FLUX utilitzed the now available UAD SDK to develop ELIXIR for UAD2... it would be nice to have extra horsepower to run it on Higher Resolution, 5 Stage.

(and no, I can't believe I'm advocating releasing a native plug for a hardware powered one! )
"You only have a certain amount of headroom with Pro Tools... if you start pushing it a little bit too hard it's starts squawking like a chicken, if you go too low, it starts squawkin', you have to work within a certain realm otherwise you get zapped either way!" - Tad Donley (2006)
-
11th January 2013
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I was thinking that it would be cool if FLUX utilitzed the now available UAD SDK to develop ELIXIR for UAD2... it would be nice to have extra horsepower to run it on Higher Resolution, 5 Stage.

(and no, I can't believe I'm advocating releasing a native plug for a hardware powered one! )
Considering how much CPU this plugin uses, I doubt it would run a single instance on the UAD platform.

Alistair
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

Because of the extreme latency and resource hoggishness of plugins like Elixir, i think the best way to use it is to use a conventional limiter during the mix that is set maybe a dB below the true peak spec, and then run Elixir on the print master afterwards as an audio suite process. I doubt very seriously that anyone would be able to detect any artifacts from this and it will insure that the mix conforms to delivery specs.
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
Because of the extreme latency and resource hoggishness of plugins like Elixir, i think the best way to use it is to use a conventional limiter during the mix that is set maybe a dB below the true peak spec, and then run Elixir on the print master afterwards as an audio suite process. I doubt very seriously that anyone would be able to detect any artifacts from this and it will insure that the mix conforms to delivery specs.
+1
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by listentoit View Post
Alexey,

have a look at nugenaudio.com. Not only do they have a nice and simple loudness metering, they also introduced a "Loudness Management Batch processor" with a dedicated TruePeak Limiter recently.

cheers
Another vote for NuGen from me too - they have a superb tool called the ISL, and it comes in both 5.1 & stereo form, with all the bits you require.
Try the demo, and then be prepared to buy it - it works beautifully.
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
Another vote for NuGen from me too - they have a superb tool called the ISL, and it comes in both 5.1 & stereo form, with all the bits you require.
+100 for nugen ISL
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Is it processor-heavy? More than conventional limiter?
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
I tried this the other day with L2 and found it allowed almost 3 dB of overshoot! I had to set it at -5 to hit the -2 db TP spec.

As for my UAD2 idea - sadly you might be right about using too much CPU but I thought it was worth getting the idea out there in case it would be possible.
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
Just as a point Elixir comes with 5.1 as well just like Nugen.

The Nugen works great but i thought it didn't sound as clean as the Elixir when I demoed them. However since its almost impossible to use Elixir at its higher/cleaner settings I'd vote for Nugen as well
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

I have not experienced overshoot when using Elixir in Audiosuite mode. I definitely get overshoot with a conventional limiter, but Elixir has eliminated the overshoot when I process the tracks after the fact.
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Elephant
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

Anybody tried the LIMITER 6 by Vlagd. It's free and has a ISP functions. Sound pretty good to my ears but I'd like to know if anybody uses it too?
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Rtas?
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderTow
Flux just upgraded their Elixir True Peak Limiter (and a few others). (AU 32 & 64 bit | VST 32 & 64 bit | AAX Native/DSP) They say their new coding framework has made the plugin between 500% and 1000% more efficient (depending on host).

I'm curious to check out the demo when I have some time...

Flux:: sound and picture development

Alistair
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

I spent the day wrestling some mixes into a new spec--Elephant @ 8x did the trick for TP limiting--very precise--couldn't hear it working. Good deal for the $.

philp
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to cjguitar Send a message via Skype™ to cjguitar
Avid's new ProLimiter might do the trick, and it's AAX DSP as well.
IMDB
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Head

FYI, I have Elixir and put it on a 5.1 mix bus for a feature I'm working on. The new v3 AAX version is definitely more efficient than v1. I was curious how Nugen's ISL compared with regard to CPU usage so I downloaded the demo. Elixir v3 took usage from 5% to 15% while ISL made it jump from 5% to 18%. Elixir wins.
CTb
21st June 2014
Old 21st June 2014
CTb
Gear interested

Inserting the Waves RDeEsser with no attenuation can lower dBTP (measured using the WLM). Playing around with the settings alters things a bit. The RDeEsser over lights up, but it chops off those dBTPs and it is pretty transparent on a hot signal. Follow it with a limiter to bring the level to spec.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search