Solutions for True Peak / Intersample Peak limiting that really work?
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

The limiters to try are the ones with oversampling.

For Protools that choice is a bit more limited, in the VST world it is not.

For both, take a look at the Pro-L from Fabfilter. Has optional 4xoversampling, and this is actually what it takes to do Truepeak limiting, as Truepeak meters are also required to use 4xoversampling when measuring peaks.

The VST world, aside from Pro-L there is also Voxengo Elephant, which just by choice of algorithm can do truepeak limiting without oversampling. I was surprised at this. Avid has ignored Aleksey's requests for the RTAS SDK in the past though, so I'm not sure when/if Protools users will see this mastering-grade limiter.

My bet for now would rest on the Pro-L, an excellent sounding, versatile limiter, that quite honestly you only need to engage when you're doing your final check. You can use an L2 or somesuch until then.
Old 21st August 2012
Gear interested

Voxengo Elephant did it for me

I've found running Voxengo Elephant on EL Uni and 8 x oversampling works very well, it sounds great too. I have been working with it for a while now and had 1 minor True Peak overshoot so I have dropped the output of the limiter by .2dB, no problems now I measured dBTP using the Dolby Media Meter 2.
Old 27th August 2012
Gear addict

Hi Guys, did you talk about the NUGEN ISL - INTER SAMPLE LIMITER?

Quickly try it on a PT 10 HD NATIVE System. Found it inexpensive on resources taxing and very transparent.

I found it thru this site:
Nugen Announce Public Beta Release of ISL Limiter
Old 27th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcutz View Post
Found it inexpensive on resources taxing
Wow, for me, ISL is impossible to use !
I run an Octocore MacPro (not the last ones but just before, march 2012) with 24G Ram, PT10.2 CPTK.
And only one 5.1 ISL brings my CPU Native from 30 à 45 %, while not playing the session... And while playing, spikes at 50 55 %. As elixir from flux in fact.
It seems I need HD...

On the other hand ISL is very transparent.
Old 27th August 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YannL View Post
Wow, for me, ISL is impossible to use !
I run an Octocore MacPro (not the last ones but just before, march 2012) with 24G Ram, PT10.2 CPTK.
And only one 5.1 ISL brings my CPU Native from 30 à 45 %, while not playing the session... And while playing, spikes at 50 55 %. As elixir from flux in fact.
It seems I need HD...

On the other hand ISL is very transparent.
Well it is a beta plug-in, maybe I get a improved version of it.
I`m running on 2008, MAC PRO, 2.8 Octacore, 14G.
I run it on a small session, around 70 Channels, 4X5.1 Stems, with 6 AUX LEXICON Native Reverbs, All channels with channel strip plugins, Waves L360 on the Stems tracks. etc... 20 minutes reel, with video on DV CODEC in the same machine.

It run without a glitch...
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear maniac

This is a fairly old thread but the OP was originally looking for a software dBTP meter. I was looking for something related and found ToneBoosters do a plugin which measures dBTP for broadcast and other uses TB EBULoudness - according to themselves they comply with "ITU-R BS.1770, EBU R-128, EBU TechRep. 3341, 3342 and ATSC A/85".. I haven't tried it yet.
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

I use the Nugen ISL

so far no issues, sound pretty clean too. I put it on at the very end of my chain sometimes in addition to what I would normally use (ML4000 and the like) so it is there as a safety net only
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

I was thinking that it would be cool if FLUX utilitzed the now available UAD SDK to develop ELIXIR for UAD2... it would be nice to have extra horsepower to run it on Higher Resolution, 5 Stage.

(and no, I can't believe I'm advocating releasing a native plug for a hardware powered one! )
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I was thinking that it would be cool if FLUX utilitzed the now available UAD SDK to develop ELIXIR for UAD2... it would be nice to have extra horsepower to run it on Higher Resolution, 5 Stage.

(and no, I can't believe I'm advocating releasing a native plug for a hardware powered one! )
Considering how much CPU this plugin uses, I doubt it would run a single instance on the UAD platform.

Alistair
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

Because of the extreme latency and resource hoggishness of plugins like Elixir, i think the best way to use it is to use a conventional limiter during the mix that is set maybe a dB below the true peak spec, and then run Elixir on the print master afterwards as an audio suite process. I doubt very seriously that anyone would be able to detect any artifacts from this and it will insure that the mix conforms to delivery specs.
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
Because of the extreme latency and resource hoggishness of plugins like Elixir, i think the best way to use it is to use a conventional limiter during the mix that is set maybe a dB below the true peak spec, and then run Elixir on the print master afterwards as an audio suite process. I doubt very seriously that anyone would be able to detect any artifacts from this and it will insure that the mix conforms to delivery specs.
+1
Old 13th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by listentoit View Post
Alexey,

have a look at nugenaudio.com. Not only do they have a nice and simple loudness metering, they also introduced a "Loudness Management Batch processor" with a dedicated TruePeak Limiter recently.

cheers
Another vote for NuGen from me too - they have a superb tool called the ISL, and it comes in both 5.1 & stereo form, with all the bits you require.
Try the demo, and then be prepared to buy it - it works beautifully.
Old 13th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
Another vote for NuGen from me too - they have a superb tool called the ISL, and it comes in both 5.1 & stereo form, with all the bits you require.
+100 for nugen ISL
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Is it processor-heavy? More than conventional limiter?
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
I tried this the other day with L2 and found it allowed almost 3 dB of overshoot! I had to set it at -5 to hit the -2 db TP spec.

As for my UAD2 idea - sadly you might be right about using too much CPU but I thought it was worth getting the idea out there in case it would be possible.
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilkes View Post
Just as a point Elixir comes with 5.1 as well just like Nugen.

The Nugen works great but i thought it didn't sound as clean as the Elixir when I demoed them. However since its almost impossible to use Elixir at its higher/cleaner settings I'd vote for Nugen as well
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

I have not experienced overshoot when using Elixir in Audiosuite mode. I definitely get overshoot with a conventional limiter, but Elixir has eliminated the overshoot when I process the tracks after the fact.
Old 14th January 2013
Elephant
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

Anybody tried the LIMITER 6 by Vlagd. It's free and has a ISP functions. Sound pretty good to my ears but I'd like to know if anybody uses it too?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Rtas?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Flux just upgraded their Elixir True Peak Limiter (and a few others). (AU 32 & 64 bit | VST 32 & 64 bit | AAX Native/DSP) They say their new coding framework has made the plugin between 500% and 1000% more efficient (depending on host).

I'm curious to check out the demo when I have some time...

Flux:: sound and picture development

Alistair
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

I spent the day wrestling some mixes into a new spec--Elephant @ 8x did the trick for TP limiting--very precise--couldn't hear it working. Good deal for the $.

philp
Old 30th January 2013
Avid's new ProLimiter might do the trick, and it's AAX DSP as well.
Old 13th February 2013
FYI, I have Elixir and put it on a 5.1 mix bus for a feature I'm working on. The new v3 AAX version is definitely more efficient than v1. I was curious how Nugen's ISL compared with regard to CPU usage so I downloaded the demo. Elixir v3 took usage from 5% to 15% while ISL made it jump from 5% to 18%. Elixir wins.
Old 21st June 2014
CTb
Gear interested

Inserting the Waves RDeEsser with no attenuation can lower dBTP (measured using the WLM). Playing around with the settings alters things a bit. The RDeEsser over lights up, but it chops off those dBTPs and it is pretty transparent on a hot signal. Follow it with a limiter to bring the level to spec.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search