Login / Register

You've heard it all before, but I'm still not decided.
New Reply
Subscribe
Gandy
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Gear maniac

You've heard it all before, but I'm still not decided.

I know you've heard it all before, but searching and researching simply doesn't help. I have searched and read countless articles, but nothing gets me any closer to a solution.

I'm in the market for a 'proper' film rig. My current setup consists of a crudely fashioned dead cat atop a poorly crafted home made blimp constructed from steel wire (which is actually a very effective zeppelin, the problem being that it weighs about ten pounds), containing within it a C1000. This is then sent direct to camera (a Sony HVR1000 in the case of the guys I shoot with currently) and recorded to tape. The preamps are diabolical and the input is 3.5mm. It has achieved decent results in the past, but it's very inefficient and not very professional (coming from someone now doing a degree in audio engineering).
The guys I work with are doing a big summer project and I am in need of a bit of an upgrade.

My maximum budget it a little over £1000. I am willing to go second hand to cut as much cost as possible.

I've concluded that an NTG 3 (the expensive grey one - not the NTG 1 or NTG 2) with its complementary Rode blimp is the best bet, at £600 flat for a complete blimp and boom setup. I considered an MKH 416, but all I can find second hand for the same price as the NTG 3 are 12t versions and I'd rather not fiddle about with thirty year old microphones and various converters and things. I hear the NTG 3 bears a very close likeness to the MKH416 however?

The second and more important component is the recorder. It needs at least one XLR input, it needs to record up to 24/44.1 or 24/48, the preamps have to be as nice and silent as possible, and it needs to have a reasonable battery life with phantom power on.
I had my eyes on the Tascam DR100 originally because the preamps seem good (according to Tascam), however I have also been eyeing the Fostex FR2 LE (the cheaper, grey one). Anybody have any experience with this and/or can recommend comparable units? There aren't many (if any) FR2s going second hand unfortunately. I'd rather record solid state.

I'd like to keep as close to £500 or under with the recorder, I know I can get something decent, I just have no idea what. I also don't really have a way to test this recorder before I buy it.

I'm set for everything else, it's really just the recorder that I'm worried about. As I say my primary concern is preamp quality, S/N ratio really, and battery life with 48V on. Typically a shoot for us will last for a few hours to a whole day, with a typical two or three actual hours of footage shot. I'd like to have at least two batteries, and these need to be easily chargeable.

I am hoping to go into film career wise eventually, so I'd like to start properly with a rig I wouldn't be ashamed to turn up to a reasonably professional set with. At the very least I might be able to start working here and there.

Any help at all is appreciated, I'm fairly lost when it comes to the recorder. I know what I want but nobody can tell me if one particular recorder can do what I want. There doesn't seem to be any source of useful and real facts relating to these various pieces of equipment.

Cheers anyway.
8th June 2011
Old 8th June 2011
Lives for gear

Like everything in life, there are no guarantee's just opportunities.
Gandy
9th June 2011
Old 9th June 2011
Gear maniac

Will do, cheers.
9th June 2011
Old 9th June 2011
Lives for gear

Checked the Tascam HD-P2?

Seen used ones here in the States for $600 or so.
Mine has held up well for 5+years, though not used day in day out.
9th June 2011
Old 9th June 2011
Gear nut

Jusy my 2c, in your budget range there isn't a recorder, that'll be great on it's own. Preamps on the HD-P2 leave something to be desired, better than your current setup though.
Based on your priorities, I would try to grab a MixPre-D, and a PCM-M10. MixPre-D gives you solid metering, easy control, and top notch preamps and limiters.
PCM-M10 is surprisingly good recorder for the cost, very low noise especially if you run a line-in from the MixPre-D.
That setup would let you run double system, sound running to camera and M10.
9th June 2011
Old 9th June 2011
Gear nut

You could also look at renting for a while. Get in with a local rental house, and if you come back with repeat business you'll probably be able to wing a discount. I would especially recommend it if you don't have weeks to months of gigs booked.

Once you're at a point where you need the gear every day, it makes sense to own it.
Gandy
12th June 2011
Old 12th June 2011
Gear maniac

Well I've looked over some options, and running a PCM M10 from a MixPre D seems like quite a good idea. Anyone know about battery life with a MixPre D with 48V on? I'd be running it off of AA batteries, at least for a while.
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear interested

Tascam DR100,Rode NTG 2 & Blimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandy View Post
I know you've heard it all before, but searching and researching simply doesn't help. I have searched and read countless articles, but nothing gets me any closer to a solution.

I'm in the market for a 'proper' film rig. My current setup consists of a crudely fashioned dead cat atop a poorly crafted home made blimp constructed from steel wire (which is actually a very effective zeppelin, the problem being that it weighs about ten pounds), containing within it a C1000. This is then sent direct to camera (a Sony HVR1000 in the case of the guys I shoot with currently) and recorded to tape. The preamps are diabolical and the input is 3.5mm. It has achieved decent results in the past, but it's very inefficient and not very professional (coming from someone now doing a degree in audio engineering).
The guys I work with are doing a big summer project and I am in need of a bit of an upgrade.

My maximum budget it a little over £1000. I am willing to go second hand to cut as much cost as possible.

I've concluded that an NTG 3 (the expensive grey one - not the NTG 1 or NTG 2) with its complementary Rode blimp is the best bet, at £600 flat for a complete blimp and boom setup. I considered an MKH 416, but all I can find second hand for the same price as the NTG 3 are 12t versions and I'd rather not fiddle about with thirty year old microphones and various converters and things. I hear the NTG 3 bears a very close likeness to the MKH416 however?

The second and more important component is the recorder. It needs at least one XLR input, it needs to record up to 24/44.1 or 24/48, the preamps have to be as nice and silent as possible, and it needs to have a reasonable battery life with phantom power on.
I had my eyes on the Tascam DR100 originally because the preamps seem good (according to Tascam), however I have also been eyeing the Fostex FR2 LE (the cheaper, grey one). Anybody have any experience with this and/or can recommend comparable units? There aren't many (if any) FR2s going second hand unfortunately. I'd rather record solid state.

I'd like to keep as close to £500 or under with the recorder, I know I can get something decent, I just have no idea what. I also don't really have a way to test this recorder before I buy it.

I'm set for everything else, it's really just the recorder that I'm worried about. As I say my primary concern is preamp quality, S/N ratio really, and battery life with 48V on. Typically a shoot for us will last for a few hours to a whole day, with a typical two or three actual hours of footage shot. I'd like to have at least two batteries, and these need to be easily chargeable.

I am hoping to go into film career wise eventually, so I'd like to start properly with a rig I wouldn't be ashamed to turn up to a reasonably professional set with. At the very least I might be able to start working here and there.

Any help at all is appreciated, I'm fairly lost when it comes to the recorder. I know what I want but nobody can tell me if one particular recorder can do what I want. There doesn't seem to be any source of useful and real facts relating to these various pieces of equipment.

Cheers anyway.
Just to give you an idea of the ability of the rode blimp this was a test I did with the NTG2,Tascam DR100 combo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKZ5s...9cAUAAAAAAAJAA
OK this was a very rough and ready test,but it give you an idea of the abuse it takes ,and it was a tad windy

Last edited by earsinthewoods; 14th March 2012 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: adding link
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear maniac

No problems with a Fostex FR2-LE and NTG-3 combo here!

Cheers
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear maniac

I don't have a Rode mic, but I do have a FR2Le and am VERY pleased with it. I'm currently using a Sanken CS-1e mic, which is very sensitive, and my noise floor is virtually non-existant.

Although it's not your exact equipment, there are some samples available here:

Freesound.org - conleec

All samples were recorded with the Sanken CS-1e and the Fostex FR2Le.

Chris
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
Sanken CS-1e
Do want. Unfortunately I'm many projects from being able to afford it :P. Soon!
15th March 2012
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Pearson View Post
No problems with a Fostex FR2-LE and NTG-3 combo here!

Cheers
Same results here
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search