TC DBMax
tonberryking
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Gear Head

TC DBMax

Hi everyone,

I'm using the TC DBMax Broadcast Limiter with Pro Tools HD. The signal that I send to the unit looks (and sounds) great and balanced, but when the signal passes through the unit and is returned through Pro Tools, the balance is very skewed. The right side is much softer and weaker than the left.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Gear nut

Are you using in insert mode?

I ve used one for years as a LtRt Compressor/Limiter (connected on the output of the Dolby encoder) , very reliable machine LOTS of options. Be careful of the AGC feature.

Never had mismatch Left-Right output , i dont remember if there s access to the individual channels.

Sure , not Protools input settings ?
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

I really dont think you can unlink the two channels in a DBMax. I've had one for years, and even seen other re-recording mixers use it as a dialog dynamics unit for feature films. But Left and Right were always linked and processed simultaneously.
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Analog or digital connection?
tonberryking
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'll actually be able to troubleshoot more tomorrow rather than today, but here's what I do know without sitting at the desk.

@Dunebuggy - At the time. I was NOT using it as an Insert. I was just routing it through the Output/Input. Pro Tools I/O looks good.

@huub - It's an Analog Connection.

I'm going to try it as an insert tomorrow and report back - any other advice you guys may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
tonberryking
2nd February 2011
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'll actually be able to troubleshoot more tomorrow rather than today, but here's what I do know without sitting at the desk.

@Dunebuggy - At the time. I was NOT using it as an Insert. I was just routing it through the Output/Input. Pro Tools I/O looks good.

@huub - It's an Analog Connection.

I'm going to try it as an insert tomorrow and report back - any other advice you guys may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
tonberryking
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Head

Okay guys. Just tried it out as an insert. Same deal.

The signal that's appearing on the TC DBMax is perfectly balanced. However, when I route it back to Pro Tools, the left right side is still very low - either that or the left is too hot? I think the right side is the problem though.

Maybe a poor patch cable?

Thanks.
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonberryking View Post
Okay guys. Just tried it out as an insert. Same deal.

The signal that's appearing on the TC DBMax is perfectly balanced. However, when I route it back to Pro Tools, the left right side is still very low - either that or the left is too hot? I think the right side is the problem though.

Maybe a poor patch cable?

Thanks.
This does sound like an analog wiring problem. Do the Pro Tools meters (on the return) reflect the drop in level on the right side? Sounds like maybe somewhere in the wiring between the output of the DBMax and the input to PT there is one leg of a balanced connection dropped. Have you tried running tone out from Pro Tools (signal generator) at a specific level and checking how much the levels differ coming back into Pro Tools with no gain reduction and no makeup gain on the DBMax unit?
tonberryking
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Head

Hey guys.

It was indeed the wiring. One of the trs cables on the digisnakes was bad. Should've definitely figured that out a bit earlier - but thank you all for your help!
21st August 2011
Old 21st August 2011
Gear interested

Change the output on tc DBMAX

Hello i just got a dbmax but i'm having problems getting sound out of the spdif to go into my sound cards spdif, is there a setting in the machine that i have to select to change it or does the sound go out automatically. I've checked the cable and it's ok because i have a tc finalizer plus what i used to check it with.

Thanks
Gar
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gar
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by armshouse View Post
Hello i just got a dbmax but i'm having problems getting sound out of the spdif to go into my sound cards spdif, is there a setting in the machine that i have to select to change it or does the sound go out automatically. I've checked the cable and it's ok because i have a tc finalizer plus what i used to check it with.

Thanks
Did you ever fix this issue? I'm thinking about picking up one of these for use in broadcast and absolutely must use the SPDIF outs. I need to know if there are any spdif issues with it before I buy a used one that I can't return!
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear maniac

If it's like the Finalizer, there's also a secondary menu function IIRC for analog balance. Worth checking if you hadn't already solved the cable issue.

Re the s/pdif issue: are you sure your clocks match? I don't recall there being an output selector; IIRC all outputs were live all the time.

(The IIRCs are because I haven't used my Finalizer in about four years. I'm mixing ITB and rendering much faster than realtime, so have stopped using external processors. Anybody want to buy a Finalizer? Or an Orville?)
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

I suspect that armshouse was having cockpit trouble and didn't have the input clock setting adjusted properly and wasn't getting any digital output, AES or SPDIF. There are no unique settings for the SPDIF output.

Most equipment will work with either AES or SPDIF, since the waveform and data fields are identical. The only differences lie in the status bits area.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search