Dangerous 2-Bus
New Reply
Subscribe
soundfx
15th January 2011
Old 15th January 2011
Gear addict

Dangerous 2-Bus

Anyone using this in post? Just curious. For film, I'm guessing there's no need, but I do promos mostly/some music and have been thinking about grabbing one(mainly for music). Any opinions? Tks.

-S
15th January 2011
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for experience

My Recordings/Credits

I used to use one. At first I thought it was a good thing. But later, when I kept my signal level down in my music mixes, I found that the difference it made was marginal. (don't record tracks close to 0dBFS, it just makes digital sound awful when mixing signals this hot.). PCM sounds remarkably good when used optimally. And, yeah, I have recorded to 24" and mixed to 1/4" all mixed analog, so I know the sound of good analog. I think good analog sounds fantastic. But for music or post? I think it is not enough of a box to make that much difference.

As for film, I don't know anyone using one, and I found it too cumbersome for routing to simply use as a Summing Bus. How best to use it?Map the LR,C, Lfe, Ls, Rs. to the first 6 inputs? Problem there is, it is only a stereo summed output. Put the FX in L&R and the DX in mono 3 and the foley in 5-6 and the BG's in 7-8? What about music? Again, only a stereo device.

i can't think of any independent post house, mixing stage or studio owned TV suite or Dib Stage using one. I think that is telling. Some movies sound pretty good, don't know how the D 2-B would help.

I sold mine.

They make great gear though, and Chris Muth certainly knows how to design. I use the Dangerous M-Q for VU metering, heaphone Cue mixes and talkback.
soundfx
15th January 2011
Old 15th January 2011
Gear addict

Thanks, Minister. Yeah, I have had doubts. I figured it would be a miniscule difference, if any. I have mixed to 1/2 inch in the past as well. My band mixed to two inch years ago. I LOVE the sound of tape, but if the sound of the 2-bus is that miniscule, its probably not worth it for post. Thanks again.
15th January 2011
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
I think the D2B is just an amazing piece !

For me makes a real difference, and reegardless, you should leave headroom when u record in your DAW keep at least 6-8dbfs.

Peace.

Reuven Amiel

"There are no rules, just knowledge, good taste and experimentation"

"Music was designed to escape from reality for a moment, not to magnify our fears and problems"
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search