EQUALITY For ALL Post Sound Mixers
New Reply
Subscribe
26th March 2011
Old 26th March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
I told you it was good Charles. Glad you like it.
well Marti- you always tend to be right about such things.... I thought I could not be impressed by something as seemingly mundane as yet another EQ....I was very, very, very wrong....

I think it is likely the best EQ I have every used....

“Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating. By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.”
? Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
15th April 2011
Old 15th April 2011
Lives for gear

I just tried out the demo and I must say I like it a lot! I'll be using it for the mix I'm starting next week. At that price it's not too much of a risky investment.

Paris, France
Heavy Nuendo users

"I don't care what they're talking about, I just want a nice fat recording" Harry Caul
My blog: http://www.filmmixer.eu
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Is the aax version dsp also?

If not - are you, PT HD guys, using equality on auxes?

I have PT NATIVE in my studio and i am building a template session for our next feature film, which will be mixed on PT HD dubstage.

I wonder if aax native inserted on aux track on such a system (PT HD 10) will cause a delay.
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to cjguitar Send a message via Skype™ to cjguitar
No DSP version. There's no latency or loss of voices when run off disk tracks, so I tend to use it on every audio track. It's also very CPU effecient so I can easily run hundreds of them in a session.
IMDB
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

What happenes when you put them on AUX tracks in PT HD?
Is the latency audible? Do you loose sync?
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear maniac

Keep hardware buffer @256, and you get 512 samples of latency. Turn on delay compensation and everything will stay in sync. Keep overall latency from getting over a few thousand samples and fader latency shouldn't be too big of an issue either. Also try hard to avoid doing too many round trips from TDM to the native processing, for instance alternating TDM and native plugins, as that will keep adding double the buffer in latency every time.
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear addict

I must say that I am really impressed with this. Running the demo now, its very quick
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

How does Equality compare to FabFilter ProQ? They look pretty similar, both visually and feature wise.

I've been using FFPQ recently and I really like it.
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear maniac

FabFilter Pro-Q is really good, but in my experience it uses probably close to 10x the CPU than Equality does and I don't hear much of a difference sonically.
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear addict

I just wish equality had a faster wayto solo bands and adjust the q. As it stands now, nothing is faster then eq3 for me. I actually like the sound of eq3 too but like the steep q and slops of equality (which I own) but don't use because eq3 is just 10x faster.
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

+1

Actually this feature sucks in equality. First you have to press the button far to the right, then you can hear the band you're touching. And then you have to deselect the button far to the right otherwise you have constant band solo, and that's not what you want.
A simple keyboard shortcut, like in eq3 would be so much better.
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

Pro-Q is much better in that respect. You can easily solo the band by clicking and dragging the little headphone icon next to the EQ dot. It's actually really fast and cool because a little overlay pops up and tells you the freq, gain, and Q setting as you drag it around. You can also adjust the Q as you are doing this by holding down CMD. The Q width is visually represented with a white bracket that increases and decreases as you adjust it.

Hmm, if Equality doesn't have a similar feature then that's pretty much a deal breaker. I'll have to try the demo when I have time.
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
mymixisbetterthanyours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcrash13 View Post
Pro-Q is much better in that respect. You can easily solo the band by clicking and dragging the little headphone icon next to the EQ dot. It's actually really fast and cool because a little overlay pops up and tells you the freq, gain, and Q setting as you drag it around. You can also adjust the Q as you are doing this by holding down CMD. The Q width is visually represented with a white bracket that increases and decreases as you adjust it.

Hmm, if Equality doesn't have a similar feature then that's pretty much a deal breaker. I'll have to try the demo when I have time.
I demoed both and bought the fabfilter. It's very fast to get the result you want.
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear nut

does anyone find equick to be really buggy? i've tried building a notch preset but when i recall it, the bands all switch to low-pass filters. still happening in v 1.04. it also used to make a crazy noise on our systems when it automated but hopefully they fixed that.
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

I have equality, it's absolutely sweet and more boutique than fabfilter (ok i guess i mean it looks liek the product of a small passionate business rather than a larger firm).

One thing I do miss though is that I think fabfilter can do mid and side from the same EQ at the same time, which isnt exactly earth shattering, but DMG Equality cannot do this, you need two seperate instances which is throwing me at the moment. Almost cant believe I havnt missed something, really happy to run and hide if someone proves me wrong..

The band soloing isnt the best.

So that's my critique, overall I love DMG, the sound is so pure and the features are amazing (e.g. you can select a set of boosts / cuts, then adjust the size of all of them, overall, with a single slider, and also move them up and down the frequency spectrum. The former is just awesome for getting exactly the right amount of eq, the latter is good as a sense check.

My 2c
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Gear nut

Can anyone get the analyzer to be on automatically? I have to turn it on each time it loads, even from templates that had it on. Nothing for it in the prefs. Same with Equick.
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattchan View Post
does anyone find equick to be really buggy? i've tried building a notch preset but when i recall it, the bands all switch to low-pass filters. still happening in v 1.04. it also used to make a crazy noise on our systems when it automated but hopefully they fixed that.
Nope. Works fine for me.
I can email you my preset if you like.
21st February 2013
Old 21st February 2013
Gear maniac

Have you guys tried iZotope's Alloy 2? It's quickly becoming my channel strip of choice. The EQ sounds good to me, and I like the Option-drag feature for sweeping -- very fast.

Plus, I love the fact that the compressor will do upward compression. Very, very sweet for thickening low-level dialog without squashing the peaks -- and better yet, the integrated expander takes care of the noise floor.

Just curious what your thoughts are on this plugin?

Chris
Demo Reel
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear maniac

iZotope Alloy 2 is very nice, but I find it very resource heavy, and just not practical for me to use across hundreds of tracks. Maybe if they made a multichannel version to stick on a bus (DSP) I'd consider using it on a few master busses.
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
iZotope Alloy 2 is very nice, but I find it very resource heavy, and just not practical for me to use across hundreds of tracks. Maybe if they made a multichannel version to stick on a bus (DSP) I'd consider using it on a few master busses.
I'm certainly not meaning to contradict what you're saying, but are you referring to Alloy or Ozone? I find Alloy to be not so bad on CPU usage. Maybe it climbs if you use more of the options?

I also haven't done a project with hundreds of tracks, so that undoubtedly colors my perception. In that case, which plugin DOES allow you to use it on that many tracks?

Chris
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Equality
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmattchan View Post
Try my preset I've attached here.
its a hi/lo pass and 14 bands of notch filters.
I just tried recalling it, and it recalled fine.
Attached Files
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Gear nut

thanks mark!

yours works with the bands set to PEAK. when i set them to NOTCH i still get problems. PEAK works though. i'll email dave about the NOTCH thing...

matt
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear interested

I'm a big fan of FabFilter's Pro-Q.....mostly because I love the spectogram and the UI in general. Has anybody done an A-B?
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear maniac

I like FabFilter Pro-Q a lot (along with all of their other plugins), but I find it a bit overkill for use on 100's of tracks when I'm mixing film. Equality does most of what Pro-Q does, and is super efficient on the CPU, it's just a workhorse. And it's got the analyzer built in as well.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search