New Sound FX Library releases
New Reply
Subscribe
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussom View Post
You're telling me! I have to keep putting out new libraries, just so I can afford to buy all the libraries the other guys keep releasing!
Haha totally. i was thinking of getting into the recording side of things just to top up the coffers to buy all the libraries that I want. i picked up your Fireworks library the other week and can't wait to use them. i worked on a short recently that I had to create sound to a blank canvas, and there was a weapon that would have suited some of those sounds perfectly (one of those situations where you have to create the sound BEFORE the VFX have been added. Don't think it particularly worked in the end, and could only tweak the existing FX in the final mix to fit a bit better... hey ho :/

If anyone's interested in seeing it, it's now online here (and only 6 minutes long too!)

MICroscope: Join the resistance

FF
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoxyMusic View Post
+1...great stuff.

…and you don't have to clean up after recording! Love the breaking icicles, although there's something inherently mean about destroying perfectly good icicles.
Yeah, I agree. The icicles were beautiful. Some were 4 feet long hanging off my roof. It was painful. Cleaning up after the concrete recording was a nightmare, still haven't finished scooping it all up yet. A while back I found concrete debris in my jacket pockets.... damn!

Glad you like the sounds. -Frank

Last edited by idahorecordist; 6th August 2010 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: typo
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahorecordist View Post
Thanks for the kind words! I have a slew of libraries coming out in the near future. I'm sure Chuck does also. Time, wish I had more and the older I get it seems to go by faster.

Coming up:
Snow
Rockslides
Water Splashes
Guns
Crazy metal crashes
Servo motors
Insects
All kinds of wood based FX

-Frank
Excellent - along with doors, servo motors are one thing you really can't have enough of. Used some of you smaller ice soundboxes a few months ago and they worked great

to Chuck/Frank/Michael/Tim - I haven't found uses for all your sounds yet but I've still brought most of them just in case (well, not all of Franks as there's just too many...). I'm quickly becoming a boutique sfx slut....not as catchy as gearslutz mind you..
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Gear Head

6th August 2010
Old 6th August 2010
Lives for gear

+1 on the vehicles guys. Please please please. Tim! we all know you are an expert in this area make it happen
6th August 2010
Old 6th August 2010
Gear nut

Cool! I've been using the fireworks a bit lately on some weapons I've been designing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFrequency View Post
Haha totally. i was thinking of getting into the recording side of things just to top up the coffers to buy all the libraries that I want. i picked up your Fireworks library the other week and can't wait to use them. i worked on a short recently that I had to create sound to a blank canvas, and there was a weapon that would have suited some of those sounds perfectly (one of those situations where you have to create the sound BEFORE the VFX have been added. Don't think it particularly worked in the end, and could only tweak the existing FX in the final mix to fit a bit better... hey ho :/

If anyone's interested in seeing it, it's now online here (and only 6 minutes long too!)

FF

http://chuckrussom.com
6th August 2010
Old 6th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
FF
6 minutes well spent! That was kewl.
subbasshead
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Gear maniac

I've just released HISSandaROAR Library 4: FIREWORKS
Recorded & released 192khz multi-channel multi mic as well as the usual 96/48/44.1 formats....

check out the promo video here:
RECORDING FIREWORKS on Vimeo

Library available here:
HISS and a ROAR

Blog post about recording it here:
Music of Sound

And a post here about why record at 192kHz (with examples)
Music of Sound

Thanks!

tim
11th August 2010
Old 11th August 2010
Lives for gear

downloading the ultra now! thumbsup

To anyone scared of the sample rate its easy peasy bringing these guys into your sessions at 48khz. They will just play quarter speed. You can then speed them up as needed.
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Gear nut

12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Gear addict

Love the fact that you include the story and photos. nice work!
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by renec View Post
Love the fact that you include the story and photos. nice work!
Thanks! I appreciate the kind comments. I do have some videos which I'll be posting soon once I figure out Final Cut Pro. -Frank
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

I'm tapped out for the next couple weeks but the rocks will be on my short list.

Who is planning on doing electricity?
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
I'm tapped out for the next couple weeks but the rocks will be on my short list.

Who is planning on doing electricity?
In the planning stages now....
14th August 2010
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Breaking glass could be good, although messy and expensive to produce. A few years a go there was a glass house (literally) down the street that was going to be bulldozed. My wife and I went down in all our biker gear, took some sledgehammers and went to town on that puppy!
18th August 2010
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

so the bread and butter thread got me wondering. What if there was a huge collaboration to redo the record list of say the 6000 series? How long would a project like that take? All of you guys could add like the lite versions of your libraries you have now plus lists could be generated and recorded. Just thinking out loud. As much as every groans at the thought of "the general" sometimes you gotta go there.
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Gear nut

Hey everyone.

I've just released a new 24b/96k library of insects.

These bugs were smokin' somethin'

Almost impossible to get recordings of a crazy honey bee, bumble bee,*fly swarms, single fly buzzing, beetle and a dragonfly. Includes a bee talking and flying around like a crazy person and a beetle that likes to ram itself into the side of buildings. 100% real bugs, no foley. 154 Files.

Check it out here: The Recordist FLYING INSECTS SoundBox HD

-Frank
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Gear addict

It's funny how close so many of them sound to electricity.
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahorecordist View Post
Hey everyone.

I've just released a new 24b/96k library of insects.

These bugs were smokin' somethin'

Almost impossible to get recordings of a crazy honey bee, bumble bee,*fly swarms, single fly buzzing, beetle and a dragonfly. Includes a bee talking and flying around like a crazy person and a beetle that likes to ram itself into the side of buildings. 100% real bugs, no foley. 154 Files.

Check it out here: The Recordist FLYING INSECTS SoundBox HD

-Frank
the demos are outstanding Frank.....
7th September 2010
Old 7th September 2010
Gear Head

Hey Folks,

I just released a new library on Rabbit Ears Audio: REA_002 SMALL MOTORS:

REA002 Small Motors | Rabbit Ears Audio

Small Motors. Clicking, whirring, buzzing, grinding, and robots. This library is composed of a variety of motor sounds from everyday kitchen appliances and power tools, but it also includes a real robot!

Thanks!
Michael Raphael
Rabbit Ears Audio
8th September 2010
Old 8th September 2010
Lives for gear

hah that maker bot is amazing. So much material there to work with.
8th September 2010
Old 8th September 2010
Gear addict

Quote:

FF
Good stuff, that was pretty cool - some real nice moments
8th September 2010
Old 8th September 2010
Lives for gear

hey I'm digging through a lot of this debris stuff and I think we are missing metal scraps on stone and dirt - different weights.
8th September 2010
Old 8th September 2010
Lives for gear

I think it's great that you guys are doing all this and will almost certainly certainly be buying some in the future. My only question is this- why 96k? Half the fun of sound design in this day & age is being able to record things at high bandwidth & slow things down or stretch them out by extreme amounts & still have lots of spectrum to play with. Why not shoot this stuff at 192k? I record all my effects at 192 these days, I figure why limit the usability of the stuff.

My very incomplete IMDB list

I'm all ears.
8th September 2010
Old 8th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berolzheimer View Post
I think it's great that you guys are doing all this and will almost certainly certainly be buying some in the future. My only question is this- why 96k? Half the fun of sound design in this day & age is being able to record things at high bandwidth & slow things down or stretch them out by extreme amounts & still have lots of spectrum to play with. Why not shoot this stuff at 192k? I record all my effects at 192 these days, I figure why limit the usability of the stuff.
you guys went to town with that in inception

I would prefer the sounds be at 192 but I think some of this stuff was recorded a while ago and I appreciate the honesty of not just upsampling it and calling it a day.
9th September 2010
Old 9th September 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
hey I'm digging through a lot of this debris stuff and I think we are missing metal scraps on stone and dirt - different weights.
I can do that, already have some heavy and light metal on concrete (to be released soon) I have this 8 ft x 10 in x 1 in thick steel bar I record all the time.

Frank
12th September 2010
Old 12th September 2010
Gear nut

Quote:

I record all of my new stuff at 24/192. My first 2 libraries, Rocks and Metal FX are both 24/192 (and 24/96 for those that can't do 192). My other current libraries were recorded back before I was shooting at 192, so they are 24/96. My upcoming Dogs library (coming in late Sept) will be 24/192.
13th September 2010
Old 13th September 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
I rarely shoot at 192 mainly because the broader fidelity is maybe 10% better than 96k, at double the storage space. even with TB drives being as cheap as they are, backing up and restoring them still takes a lot of time.

I will do certain things at 192, but it just depends on what it is- I know for the weapons sessions I do, a 40gb 744 internal drive would not be enough space for a days worth of recording. Since I an running usually a minimum of 3 of them, there is a practical hurdle to overcome.

“Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating. By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.”
? Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
13th September 2010
Old 13th September 2010
Gear nut

Hey guys, do you know of anywhere I can get some good wild west sounds? lots of old creaking wood, horses, stagecoaches, people, ambience.. really anything. I'm trying to do an album with tons of sound design and I really want to create the environment of the west around and within the music. Thanks guys, this thread is incredibly useful.

Also, has anybody compiled a list of great sites that sell sfx libraries? I feel like many of you probably have more than you know what to do with, haha.
13th September 2010
Old 13th September 2010
Gear Guru

the HE Burtis Bill set is actually a pretty good collection of those sorts of sounds....
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search