Best Sound Design Software - PC?
Old 30th November 2009
Deleted User #106149

Best Sound Design Software - PC?

Ok, I have finally given up on Syncing my Cubase VST video for sound design purposes, although my favourite editing sequencer it just doesnt seem to work. I am thinking of buying new software purely for this purpose, perhaps Nuendo?

Can anyone suggest their favourite Sound design software and why they use it above others?
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Cool

Most of us are using Pro Tools. Some are using Logic and Nuendo.

Why are you having problems with sync? You should try and resolve that problem. I've found that 90% of the time it's user error. That's not a put-down aimed at you, I'm guilty of it myself - overlooking a setting, incorrect assumptions/thinking, etc. Try some creative problem solving.
Old 1st December 2009
Gear interested

Sony Vegas

I've spent many years trying to replace Sony's Vegas for post on the PC side. Feature for feature, I have yet to find a better app for sound design. Don't poo poo it because it's every wanna be DJ's favorite "mixing" tool. Vegas is lean, mature, stable, and very fast for post.

Give it a chance.
Old 1st December 2009
Deleted User #106149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

Why are you having problems with sync? You should try and resolve that problem. I've found that 90% of the time it's user error.

Hi Uncle, it probably is my fault

thing is im using VST32/Score. The video is in sync when you play from the beginning, when you skip ahead or need to loop an area the picture will lag (so i end up having to play the video from the beginning everytime to fit the audio!!) I have been unable to find anything or anyone online who knows of a solution.

TBH i left Protools and Logic alone a few years ago as i wasnt really feeling the work environment as much as that in Cubase.

Christian i have Sony Vegas. Im not sure if it is as much a mixing solution aswell though is it? Plus not sure if it handles VST? I need the mixing power of something like Cubase/Protools but with top notch video capabilities. Top of the list is Nuendo but at £1,000 its a hard decision!
Old 1st December 2009
Gear addict

There are not soooooo many differences between Nuendo and Cubase any more. Nuendo offers higher post functionality, like syncing to external devices (9-pin), EuCon Protocol, slightly better automation features.
Cubase 5 however is ahead of Nuendo 4.3 right now, and has features that won't be there for Nuendo users until v5 (early next year).

Check the Steinberg site to see the differences, or check the forums to find out about functionality. Cubase IS cheaper
Hope it helps!

Andrew
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

What codec is the video?
Have found that some codecs work well, others will do exactly what you describe. Depends on how much resources the video needs. Better not use h.264!
Old 1st December 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Plus not sure if it (Vegas) handles VST?
Yes it does.
As does Acid Pro and Sound Forge.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by portwine View Post
I've spent many years trying to replace Sony's Vegas for post on the PC side. Feature for feature, I have yet to find a better app for sound design. Don't poo poo it because it's every wanna be DJ's favorite "mixing" tool. Vegas is lean, mature, stable, and very fast for post.

Give it a chance.
I completely agree! Best for Creature design..I also use Nuendo and have a PTHD rig, but Vegas gets a lot of use.
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

I've been using nuendo for a while now for all my post needs. You may be able to find nuendo at a crossgrade special price

I bought a Protools mbox micro for $250 and registered

since i'm a registered digi user, I was able to get nuendo 4 for almost half the price..

$1800 new, $999 crossgrade.

Maybe you can find that where you are.
Old 4th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by portwine View Post

Give it a chance.
I rarely edit pix, but when I do I use Vegas and for bigger projects Nuendo as the sweetening platform, they seem to understand each other through AAF.

Matti
Old 10th April 2011
Gear interested

Sound Design, lets see...

Some features you should look for first:

1) For movies to move the video frames as you move the sound items in the timeline so you can easily place sounds in time.
2) For games, python scripting, open sdk and text session file format in order for the Game's Tool Programmers to be able to make awesome tools that will make your work easy.
3) Great implementation of 32 and 64 bit technologies (been able to use 32bit plugins in 64bit application and 64bit plugins in 32bit application - that way you can open that quicktime movie and still compose with a full orchestra on your sample).
4) Full double-precision 64 bit float audio engine on all application editions and all signal path.
5) Extreme organization of the regions, markers, grouping and items.
6) Managers for regions and items, palettes for every asset you have.
7) Real time preview form the media explorer through the selected tracks dsp.
8) An active forum and developers that really care with great responses and updates.
9) Proper pricing and business ethics from the developer's company.
10) Probably the most deep yet easy to use sequencer in the world.

Check out Reaper. REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits
And get ready for a great v4 version sometime within 2011.

This post may sound like I'm working for Reaper but I'm not, I'm just a professional Sound Designer and Educator that discovered Reaper some years ago and never looked back.

Cheers and happy Sound Design :-)

PanozK – Sound Design | Adaptive Music | Audio Production
Old 10th April 2011
Reaper is definitely a great program. I use it now and it has all the capabilities I need. Works pretty good with video also and you can even add an external editor. Hope that helps.

Nicole
Old 10th April 2011
Gear interested

I got Cubase 4 and soundforge, but at the computergames company that i'm doing my final thesis i'm working in soundforge and Vegas.

as i'm mainly designing for computergames i haven't really used the video-capability vegas offer all too much, but it's bound the be way better than cubase, that afaik only play quicktime movies.

either way, the workflow of vegas is decent. while some solutions seem somewhat ******** compared to dedicated multitrackers like cubase, PT, logic etc. i still think it have many advantages.

all in all i'd say that vegas is a good chouise, but if you're really used to cubase, perhaps nuendo would be a good choise.

when i'm done with school i'm gonna be stuck with cubase 4 and soundforge 10, as i likley won't be able to afford another software for a while. however, i've already started to consider what software is next for me.
I like soundforge, so i'm gonna keep using that as an editor, but what multitracker i'll be using i don't know. it's not impossible i'll stick with vegas, however.
PT is cool, but i never really liked the main mouse-tools it offers, as it's somewhat different from any other given audio-software i've used.
Logic i'll never buy as i'm planning to stick with PC.
Nuendo seem like a good choise, but then again its expensive... is it possible to upgrade from cubase to nuendo? gotta look that up...

if you could describe a little more of what type of videos you edit, perhaps people could back you up with even more info...
Old 12th April 2011
Gear Head

Reaper. (version 4, when it's out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Concept View Post
and why they use it above others?
Flexibility. Stability. Speed.
Old 12th April 2011
Gear interested

i started using Nuendo 5 a few months ago..on a mac..

It crashes a lot.
It freezes for a good 5-10sec (depending on project size) while autosaving..this is more annoying..it get on my nerves and breaks my flow.
Switching between projects takes too much time..
Too expensive.

It does clip-based effects (i.e. being able to apply an effect on a clip on your timeline and later modify it). This was one of the reasons i chose it.

am i happy overall: no
Old 13th June 2011
Gear nut

so can Repaer import interhange formats like omf, aaf ?
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

I've done some cool stuff in Reaper. The ability to layer VST instruments on a single track is pretty cool. Plus the LFO features are very useful. The big one for me is being able to apply different realtime effects to specific regions on a single track.
Old 15th June 2011
Gear Head

Little question, as much as I like Reaper, one thing that has always bugged me is the inability to put the grid on non-musical values (that or I must be very dense). Has that been changed in v4?

Haven't really got the time to check the prerelease yet...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search