Left speaker not as loud as right? Help
Old 18th November 2009
Gear interested

Left speaker not as loud as right? Help

I am trying to figure out why my right speaker is louder then my left speaker. I am using the JBL LSR4328P. When I go to calibrate I can not get my left speaker to be as loud as my right speaker. What am I doing wrong? I am a noob and have never done a room calibration sorry. When I play 1k tone panned all to the right I get db of 77.0 and when I pan to the left all the same settings it is 73. What do I do to get the speakers playing at the same volume?
Old 18th November 2009
Gear maniac

Did you try switching cables? Do that first. A single-ended (shorted or broken) balanced cable can cause a drop in volume.

Second, now I'm not super familiar with the JBLs but aren't they the DSP powered monitors? Have you run the room calibration software?

Thirdly, RTFM

Best of luck
Peter
Old 18th November 2009
Gear maniac

It could also be the speaker placement within the room.

Try moving them to the exact same spot in the room and mono test through one at a time.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear interested

I think you are right. I will get a new cable and go from there. Thank you for the help. I at times just need someone to point out the obvious.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysyphus300021 View Post
I am trying to figure out why my right speaker is louder then my left speaker. I am using the JBL LSR4328P. When I go to calibrate I can not get my left speaker to be as loud as my right speaker. What am I doing wrong? I am a noob and have never done a room calibration sorry. When I play 1k tone panned all to the right I get db of 77.0 and when I pan to the left all the same settings it is 73. What do I do to get the speakers playing at the same volume?
First, Read my "Room Calibration for Film and TV" on the DUC.
You use "Pink Noise NOT 1K tone" !!!!!
Follow the "sticky" .
Old 18th November 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
First, Read my "Room Calibration for Film and TV" on the DUC.
You use "Pink Noise NOT 1K tone" !!!!!
Follow the "sticky" .
I have done that. The calibration does not fix the problem. I just used the 1k as the example here because that is the one I was messing with at the time. I was trying a lot of thing to test the lvls. Im not another person ignoring the sticky. I read that sticky all the time. Its my current bible. Also no need to yell.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

There is a bug in the built-in room correction causing some ugly phase thing happening. This tricks you into thinking that one of the speakers is louder than the other.
I had the same problem when demoing these. Had to reset them to make it go away (see manual).
One of the reasons I bougt the LSR 6328 instead. I'm sceptical to speakers with software...
Old 18th November 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by arovik View Post
There is a bug in the built-in room correction causing some ugly phase thing happening. This tricks you into thinking that one of the speakers is louder than the other.
I had the same problem when demoing these. Had to reset them to make it go away (see manual).
One of the reasons I bougt the LSR 6328 instead. I'm sceptical to speakers with software...

I went through that process on the phone with JBL. I still have the problem. So going to do another reset after I get new cables in the morning. If it continues I will take them to local repair place. I would love to get the 6328 but money is the problem. I just built myself a 2room home studio so need to make some of that money back. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Head

Strange.

It solved the problems for me, twice. But came back when I did the room correction.
I guess you are absolutely sure you did the reset correct, as JBL guided you...? If I remember correctly you have to turn off monitors, unplug power, turn all dip-switches to the up-position and turn on monitor. Then watch the leds indicationg reset, wait for it to finish, unplug power and set the switches to its normal positions again.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Make sure that the gain on the analog outputs of the interface that feeds the speakers is adjusted correctly.

You can determine whether it is the cable, the speaker or output gain that is at issue by first switching the left and right cables and then the speakers. If the volume drop changes sides when you swap an element, that is probably the culprit. If the volume drop remains on the one side after swapping first the cables and then the speakers, then it is probably the interface output gain or something upstream from there.

Process of elimination.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
Make sure that the gain on the analog outputs of the interface that feeds the speakers is adjusted correctly.

You can determine whether it is the cable, the speaker or output gain that is at issue by first switching the left and right cables and then the speakers. If the volume drop changes sides when you swap an element, that is probably the culprit. If the volume drop remains on the one side after swapping first the cables and then the speakers, then it is probably the interface output gain or something upstream from there.

Process of elimination.
Listen to Gary, This is much more eloquently stated than what I said as my point one, and equally more correct. Having a good troubleshooting methodology can save both money and sanity.

Peter
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysyphus300021 View Post
I have done that. The calibration does not fix the problem. I just used the 1k as the example here because that is the one I was messing with at the time. I was trying a lot of thing to test the lvls. Im not another person ignoring the sticky. I read that sticky all the time. Its my current bible. Also no need to yell.
At no time did you say that you started out with "Pink" and eneded up with 1k.
If you are troubled by me yelling , sorry, but you weren't clear.
The process of elimination is the very best thing you can do
such as what Gary suggested.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had the same issue when I set up a room with 4328s.
Follow aroviks advice, and do a full reset on the speakers.
Read the manual, and do it exactly how it describes it.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I had the same issue with the 4326 system I just got. I switched the left and right speakers, and dip switches and the problem was still there. I was able to fix it using the software trim controls and have moved on. Interesting to hear that there is a bug. I'm going to look into this more.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear interested

Well Im glad I am not the only one and got this topic going. Maybe JBL is working on it. They did not say anything on the phone. So if I can not get it working we will see what the repair place says.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm assuming your using them in the network set up with usb/remote control yes?

I think it's a software issue, nothing wrong with the speaker

Also, when I first had the issue, it was worse.. because I had forgotten to press in one of the -10/+4 input buttons. No amount of software trim could help me. Once that issue was resolved, I now have my L trim at +3 and my R trim at - 1.25 and they are even steven.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Peterson View Post
I'm assuming your using them in the network set up with usb/remote control yes?

I think it's a software issue, nothing wrong with the speaker

Also, when I first had the issue, it was worse.. because I had forgotten to press in one of the -10/+4 input buttons. No amount of software trim could help me. Once that issue was resolved, I now have my L trim at +3 and my R trim at - 1.25 and they are even steven.
Yes that is how I had them hooked up. I updated the firmware and reset a few times. Still have the problem. I have fixed the problem with your trim solution. Thank you very much for the help. Also here is a pic of the room. Not big but for what I do the room is perfect. Sound proof worked well. You loose about 20-25db when you close the doors to the room. I just do commercials and indie films locally. I just need to get treatment up on the walls. Thanks again

Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Hey guys this gets fixed with
A firmware update. I did that yesterday . The other workaround is sometimes after performing an rmc itnwillnfux itself. But do the firmware upgrade
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear nut

It is a firmware update. Make sure your speakers are all running the same version. The manual tells you how to check. Best to just get the latest off their website and install via USB. You have to do each one separately. I had the same problem. You can't simply try to match the levels with the trims. Your imaging will still be off. JBL is aware of this problem and tracked it down. When you get the new firmware installed on all of them, you will be amazed at your 4328's.
They're beautiful.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Gearslutz.com
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

This is an old thread, but as it turns out with my set.. my L analog output on my old interface was outputing -5db less than all the others. Just something buggy about it and it was never fixed. My LCR's are all +/- 1db by meter and by ear now. My set all came off the same pallet in 09 and all had the latest firmware.. unless there's a new one that I'm not aware of.
Old 4th February 2012
Gear maniac

What did you use to calib your 5.1?

I use AMerican Recorder SP-8810. Prefer that WAY more than radio shacks version. And calibrated perfectly to almost .5/-.5 db
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

I have never experienced this particular problem with my 4328's but have seen other strange behavior. When I got them, rmc worked great. One day i ran the rmc again and it wouldn't correctly compensate as before. The software noted that there was a minor tweak at 19hz. Previously it removed about 5db at 125hz.

I thought this was due to the fact that one of the speakers was on a different mains circuit, where a heater was also sometimes used. When the heater cycled on, it would cause the speaker to go into standby mode, something the manual said id normal that it does to protect the electronics in the event that it doesn't receive a full 120v. Thought perhaps this overtime damaged the electronics. Tried full reset, firmware updates, different calibration mic and nothing worked. Called JBL, they had no idea. Unfortunately i bought them used so I have no warranty recourse. Got another set because i needed a center channel, also used. I wired them up and took the one I though may have been damaged out. Same problem. Anyone else have this problem?

Kinda sucks having the main feature of these monitors not work properly. At least the ganged volume and all the other features and the remote still work properly, prevents me from needing a monitor controller or bass management.
Old 26th November 2012
Gear interested
The same happened to me when using the analog 1/4 TRS jack, but the problem is not there if I use the analog XLR input. I will try to update the firmware.
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

I've had that in several studios (I have the JBLs everywhere) and it has always been because someone messed with the -10/+4 switch...
Old 27th November 2012
Gear interested

Check to make sure each speaker has the latest firmware. It's a known problem with the 4328's. The image will shift if the speakers are running different firmware. Flash them with the latest, and the imaging will be awesome. I had the same problem when I bought mine.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search