Voice Over Background Music
New Reply
Subscribe
dbeck
31st October 2009
Old 31st October 2009
Gear Head

Voice Over Background Music

I am helping a friend with their voice over reel for free and we're looking for some background music mostly for commercials or animation styles. Are their resources for free/cheap libraries around? I have found royalty free music which is what we want but it was still expensive for the sound clip. Since we need about 6 or 7 song clips, that was going to be about $200 or more.

Is this what I should expect? or are there other options? I believe in paying for music so I don't have a problem with that.
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Gear maniac

If you believe in paying...

...if you truly believe in paying for music, then $200 for 6 or 7 sound clips seems awfully inexpensive to me. Most of the stock suppliers I deal with charge at least that much for a single track.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto
dbeck
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Gear Head

Really? Hmm ok. I just had no idea what to expect as far as pricing goes and I don't know what resources to look into. I didn't want to assume that the first results on my google search for background music were necessarily the best
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

Cool

I've used pieces from UniqueTracks.com for indie films. It's been a while, but - if I remember correctly - most individual tracks can be purchased for about $20 - $40, complete CDs for around $100, with no further licensing fees if your distributed product will be under 10,000 units. Different terms apply to major motion picture, TV, radio, etc. usage (filing with ASCAP, BMI & SESAC, etc.).

Of course, there are thousands of composers, performers and indie bands out there who are willing to let you use their music used free of charge for "Festival Use" exposure purposes. I've sound quite a few really nice songs for indie films that were used under those terms.
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Gear interested

Haven't looked at it in a long time, but you might look at Cinescore.
dbeck
7th February 2010
Old 7th February 2010
Gear Head

Royalty-free music?

So what about royalty-free music? I see that Soundtrack Pro comes with about 5000 royalty-free music loops and sound effects.

If someone pays me to make a voice-over demo reel for them, am I allowed to use this royalty-free music in the background? Or is it dependent on the specifics of the royalty-free license?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search