Stems ????
New Reply
Subscribe
mikevarela
19th July 2008
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

Stems ????

Finishing a short (stereo). the editor (FCP) wants the complete stereo mix and the stems. I'm familiar with this practice and was thinking about printing Dialog, music and fx... that's right huh?

Also, even though and M&E might be little much for this, how does one go about taking all the dialog out without leaving holes all over. I wasn't fortunate enough to have room tone recorded, though i've made some from clips I've found, but it's not enough to cover the piece.

When one preps for M&E, should all the effects running along with dialog be replaced, and what about foley if non was done on the film.

just looking for a few pointers
19th July 2008
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevarela View Post
Finishing a short (stereo). the editor (FCP) wants the complete stereo mix and the stems. I'm familiar with this practice and was thinking about printing Dialog, music and fx... that's right huh?

Also, even though and M&E might be little much for this, how does one go about taking all the dialog out without leaving holes all over. I wasn't fortunate enough to have room tone recorded, though i've made some from clips I've found, but it's not enough to cover the piece.

When one preps for M&E, should all the effects running along with dialog be replaced, and what about foley if non was done on the film.

just looking for a few pointers

Well, they get what they pay for.
If they're paying for a fully filled M+E, then they get one.
Otherwise, they get nothing.
And as far as what the editor WANTS. Well, again, what were you hired to deliver.
Just because he wants something, doesn't mean you're obliged to give it to him for free.
19th July 2008
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, even though and M&E might be little much for this, how does one go about taking all the dialog out without leaving holes all over.
Editing.

Quote:
Yes and yes.

Check out this thread for some more info:
DUC: M&E Rate?
19th July 2008
Old 19th July 2008
Gear addict

Hi Mike,
Even in the absence of production roomtone, you did cut BG ambience throughout, right? You're fortunate that it's just a stereo mix- this way there will already be fill throughout as opposed to needing to cut specific center-channel fill when you do the M&E.

As for the Foley, as has been said above, yes and yes. In addition to adding layers of detail to the domestic mix, full foley is absolutely essential to deliver an M&E that will pass QC.

As for the stems, a good practice to get into is having your individual DIA/MX/FX bus masters feeding stem tracks, which in turn feed your printmaster tracks. This way, you can print both the stems and the printmaster in one pass.

good luck,

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
mikevarela
19th July 2008
Old 19th July 2008
Lives for gear

thanks joe, i appreciate the reply.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search