Sound Design Plug-in Arsenal?
hduncan
Thread Starter
#1
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Sound Design Plug-in Arsenal?

What aresome commonly used plugins (specific ones or types) that are commonly used to craft and manipulate sounds. I'm talking like, TransFormers movie sound effects and stuff.
#2
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #2
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEcho View Post
What aresome commonly used plugins (specific ones or types) that are commonly used to craft and manipulate sounds. I'm talking like, TransFormers movie sound effects and stuff.
Sound Design of Transformers


I don't think its any one plugin , but rather a process of layering and mixing many.

There's a thread around the top in this forum with a whole list of tools used by some people on here. I think you'll find it useful.
#3
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
 

#4
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #4
Gear addict
 

I just printed the final mix for a horror feature, and convolution reverb's really did some great things for sound design.
hduncan
Thread Starter
#5
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Excellent information to everyone who has posted so far! Very informative. I want to be a sound designer- Where do I start? haha
#6
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
macleodgrant's Avatar
i think a vocoder is a brilliant tool for these kinds of effects and also spectral delay

as mentioned already convolution can be very interesting

izotope's tools would rock as sound design tools
hduncan
Thread Starter
#7
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Ok... a Vocoder is a device that you speak into and it messes with your voice with various effects/processors, right?

What is a spectral delay- does Logic 8 have one?

What is convolution..?

I have Izotop Trash and Ozone, I like them both- I can definately see Trash being useful for design. Radius beckons me, but I want to make sure I throw hundreds of dollars at the right plugin for my purposes... mostly stretching things and pitch shifting pretty significantly.
#8
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #8
Gear addict
 

Convolution is a type of reverb made by a few different companies. Waves IR, Altiverb, and TL Space (which I just picked up) are a few names.

Simply put, some of the presets sound like a normal reverb, and some can make an ordinary voice or score sound like the world is coming to an end. Very cool to play with, easy to use... and easy to go overboard with.

It usually works well and quickly for errie sound fx on type of work I do.
#9
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #9
Get a Kyma system. Probably the be-all-end-all for sound design. I've had my eye on one for years but never had the free cash to jump.
#10
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Jesse Peterson's Avatar
 

I 2nd what everyone has said here.

Sometimes when I'm at a loss, I'll hit the roulette button in soundminer and see what fate brings to the table.

I love LFmax by Voxengo (sub harmonic generator)
Re sampling usually produces something interesting
Then there's re sampling.. adding fx etc.. then re sample again.

It's really the best gig in the world next to being a professional baseball player imo

the article about the transformers sound design really spells it out.. go out and record servos, machines and clunky metal stuff. Then bring all your source material in and play with it till you have a nice palette of stuff to cut will. When you start doing that you'll start hearing the world around you in a whole new way. I carry an H4 around with me like people carry their Ipods.
#11
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
 
macleodgrant's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEcho View Post
Ok... a Vocoder is a device that you speak into and it messes with your voice with various effects/processors, right?
a vocoder imprints the frequency character of a sound onto another


so you can make a guitar speak or a snare drum sound like a guitar. experimentation is the order of the day

logic has a spectral gate which is very interesting and a great sound design tool
hduncan
Thread Starter
#12
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
so a vocoder doesnt really have anything specific to do with the voice.

It just plays one sound "through" another...

Is that how Daft Punk does that crazy guitar solo at the end of "harder better faster stronger" where it sounds like every time the guitar plays, you can hear the words of the lyrics?
hduncan
Thread Starter
#13
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Peterson View Post
Re sampling usually produces something interesting
Then there's re sampling.. adding fx etc.. then re sample again.
Im not positive what resampling is... is this a process that you can apply to a track? or are you talking about manually applying an effect like reverb or something after changing the sample rate of the project so that a sound file plays twice as fast, then when you change the sample rate back to the original, the track is at its original speed but the effect (rever) is fast?
#14
6th June 2008
Old 6th June 2008
  #14
Gear Head
 

I think he's referring to the process of creating a sound/sample, then exporting it out as an audio file and bringing it back into a sampler/host app and processing some more. rinse and repeat.

I used to use this technique a lot when I was producing electronica, works well for super mangled bass lines.


but, I could be mistaken and he's talking about sample rate conversion..
#15
7th June 2008
Old 7th June 2008
  #15
Lives for gear
 
macleodgrant's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEcho View Post
so a vocoder doesnt really have anything specific to do with the voice.

It just plays one sound "through" another...

Is that how Daft Punk does that crazy guitar solo at the end of "harder better faster stronger" where it sounds like every time the guitar plays, you can hear the words of the lyrics?
pretty much. logic has one which is called a EVOC 20 Track Oscilator though it's not as good as prosoniq morph or orange vocoder. i'm debating the purchase of the orange vocoder at the moment!
#16
11th June 2008
Old 11th June 2008
  #16
This thread got me thinking about the Kyma... I think I'm going to spring for one this year.

If you are seriously considering sound design this is the ultimate system to have. They pretty much wrote the book on it or invented it when it comes to neat things to do with audio.
hduncan
Thread Starter
#17
11th June 2008
Old 11th June 2008
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
What exactly IS the Kyma? A collection of crazy plugins?
#18
11th June 2008
Old 11th June 2008
  #18
Lives for gear
 
danijel's Avatar
It's hardware (firewire DSP) / softwares (stand-alone), integrated with all sorts of controllers. The software itself can probably be compared to Max/MSP with many pre-made modules and easier interface and work-flow.

It's right here:
Symbolic Sound Corporation

But it's even cooler with Haken Continuum:
Haken Audio - Continuum Overview
#19
12th June 2008
Old 12th June 2008
  #19
Gear nut
 
SushiConQueso's Avatar
 

Regarding the Transformers movie, check Clay Duncan Transforms with Cubase 4 :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH as well. I wrote the article for Steinberg and Clay happens to be a colleague of mine over at Remote Control. Indeed, being a sound designer at that level certainly does involve more than one or 2 magic plug-ins.

Jesse's point about carrying an H4 around is a good one, found sounds can go such a long way, and honestly pile up and get you a library that you can tweak to your liking before you know it. Sure it's good to have some of the staple sounds that everyone carries in order to blend with others and whatnot, but the heavy hitters indeed design and catalog their own unique textures and soundscapes.
#20
12th June 2008
Old 12th June 2008
  #20
Gear addict
 
Barbary Ape's Avatar
 

From what I've been reading Csound is more powerful than the Kyma. But not as easy to use which is the Kyma's high points. For Csound I think your going to need a some sort programming or engineering degree to work the system since your writing codes from scratch, basically anything you want is possible if you know how to get there, writing the code that is. Best of all it's free but I still can't get myself to use it, it's just way too overwhelming.
#21
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
  #21
Gear maniac
 

Old thread but this looks fantastic for Transformer like sound effects, it's library not a plugin tool though
Hybrid Tools Vol. 1 | 8DIO
#22
26th September 2011
Old 26th September 2011
  #22
Gear Guru
 
charles maynes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
Get a Kyma system. Probably the be-all-end-all for sound design. I've had my eye on one for years but never had the free cash to jump.
the Kyma requires a substantial investment of time and effort- as well as money- it is an amazing tool, but something like audiomulch can do many of the things the Kyma does for far less money- actually metasynth as well....
#23
26th September 2011
Old 26th September 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
by-tor's Avatar
 

GRM Tools!
#24
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hduncan View Post
I have Izotop Trash and Ozone, I like them both- I can definately see Trash being useful for design. Radius beckons me, but I want to make sure I throw hundreds of dollars at the right plugin for my purposes... mostly stretching things and pitch shifting pretty significantly.
Izotope's Spectron is a great one for weird effects and sound manipulation:

iZotope Spectron - Spectral effects processing for Pro Tools, VST, MAS, Audio Unit, and DirectX audio applications
#25
30th September 2011
Old 30th September 2011
  #25
mymixisbetterthanyours!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
the Kyma requires a substantial investment of time and effort- as well as money- it is an amazing tool, but something like audiomulch can do many of the things the Kyma does for far less money- actually metasynth as well....
I have to agree. The guys next door to my room had one for years. With Wacom, Haken, Wii-remote and all the goodies.

It's fun, but definately takes its time to get your head around it.
I never succeeded at that..

Also, IMO it tends to sound 'metallic'..

If you are seriously bored in your life, get a KymaX and an H8000.
#26
30th September 2011
Old 30th September 2011
  #26
Gear Guru
 
charles maynes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokrator View Post
I have to agree. The guys next door to my room had one for years. With Wacom, Haken, Wii-remote and all the goodies.

It's fun, but definately takes its time to get your head around it.
I never succeeded at that..

Also, IMO it tends to sound 'metallic'..

If you are seriously bored in your life, get a KymaX and an H8000.
the Continuum is exceedingly cool too... the stuff that Karla has done with it and the Kyma are really brilliant- though she is probably the most skilled user of it.
#27
30th September 2011
Old 30th September 2011
  #27
mymixisbetterthanyours!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
the Continuum is exceedingly cool too... the stuff that Karla has done with it and the Kyma are really brilliant- though she is probably the most skilled user of it.
I bet I match her skills with the lightsaber-preset and the Wii remote!

No, for anyone with the time, money and endurance, it can be very much recommended. It's an absolutely awesome creation and she seems to keep a very personal relationship to the users.
#28
1st October 2011
Old 1st October 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
 
JSt0rm's Avatar
 

I want the kyma. The problem is i dont even have enough time to do my laundry.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jebjerome / Post Production forum!
88
spsnoise / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
2
Soundproof / Post Production forum!
6
chessparov / Expert Question & Answer Archives
11

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.