New Reply
Subscribe
JesseJ
29th January 2007
Old 29th January 2007
Gear addict

Surround reverbs discussion thread

Hello!

Let's discuss surround reverbs, both plug-ins and hardware versions here.
Sound samples could also be provided for reference.

Please tell what you are using, how you like it, what you find is missing, what and how you have used it etc.

Here's a list of surround reverbs I know of (I will try to keep it updated):

Plug-ins:

Altiverb
Digidesign ReVibe (HD only)
Steinberg Nuendo OctoVerb
TC Surround Verb (Powercore)
Universal Audio RealVerb (UAD)
Waves R360° Surround Reverb
- Review 1
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...rbW5-main.html

Hardware:

Eventide H8000
Kurtzweil KSP8
Lexicon MX400
Lexicon MX500
Lexicon 960L
Sony DRE-S777
TC System6000

Last edited by JesseJ; 29th January 2007 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: typo
JesseJ
29th January 2007
Old 29th January 2007
Gear addict

Lexicon MX500 FireWire Dual Stereo/Surround Reverb Processor

30th January 2007
Old 30th January 2007

My Recordings/Credits

I'm using the following for reverbs:

Digital: system 6000 from TC Electronic (2 digital IO 5.1 units with 8 engines total)
Analog: Lexicon 100 reverberators (3 really old but classic sounding stereo reverbs)
Analog: PCM 91, PCM 81, MPX
Analog: Harmonizer 3000 ( 2units )

I use all of them for various things.

I love the 6000's .. I had the ability to field test a 6000 vs the Lexicon 960L...
I enjoyed the lexicon sound, but found the 6000's rooms much more usable for film and post. I also like the user interfaces and programming abilities of the 6000's much more than the 960L units. I think the overall sound of the 6000 is more plesent and more real to me than the 960L.

cheers
geo
10th July 2007
Old 10th July 2007
Lives for gear

Lexicon 480L has surround reverbs if you buy the surround cartridge..
10th July 2007
Old 10th July 2007
Gear addict

right now I'm using Revibe, cuz it's the only surround verb I have. I was looking at the Waves 360 bundle, but it looks like a verb and a bunch of other plugs that might not get used that often.

www.christurbiville.com V/O site
10th July 2007
Old 10th July 2007
Gear nut

Using the TC 6000 , for ADR it s important to have lot s of room presets that sounds good
The automation on the routing is very useful , can go from combo 5.1 + stereo to 4 stereos like that.
Just wish it would have real time automation on the parameters...
And better info support on the phone and on the web
21st July 2007
Old 21st July 2007
Gear nut

Surround reverb

TL Space from Trillium labs sound GREAT(convolution). I like very much the flexibility of a plugin reverb. You can automate any parameters and it takes only a few minutes to 'touch up" a mix done even years before. The downside of TL Space and Altiverb...They are really DSP huuuungry and can fill out a HD accel card really fast. This is the price to pay for a great convolution reverb!

27th January 2008
Old 27th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunebuggy View Post
Using the TC 6000 , for ADR it s important to have lot s of room presets that sounds good
The automation on the routing is very useful , can go from combo 5.1 + stereo to 4 stereos like that.
Just wish it would have real time automation on the parameters...
And better info support on the phone and on the web
The M6000 has no realtime parameter changing? I just started considering replacing or augmenting my bevy of stereo-only reverbs with something surround-capable, so I find it pretty shocking for a unit in this price range.

Does anybody here have any experience or opinions on the (much less expensive) KSP8? I helped a guy do a review on one a few years ago (since I have the only 5.1 setup in town), and was impressed with it at that time. But that may have just been initial surround reverb infatuation. Usefulness in post would be most critical, and Georgia has already mentioned she much prefers the M6000 to anything else for that. Still, at 1/3 the price...
28th January 2008
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

altiverb:
i have never used hardware reverbs for post production, but i cannot imagine a reverb be more realistic, more useful, more featured, with more diverse spaces than altiverb with its huge impulse library. if i could use only one software besides daw, i'd definately go with altiverb.
i have also tried waves r360 - it was absolutely time wasted. i guess it was made for music, not post. and it eats cpu, like the rest of 360 bundle.
anyone tried wizooverb w5 or rayspace? i found rayspace cute, before altiverb blew everyone else away.

does anyone know which reverb was used on robert altman's 'gosford park'? i really noticed nice reverbs all over the place, tho little over-emphasized, but they gave good feel to the movie.... is that TC6000? it was mixed by robin o'donoghue and richard street....
28th January 2008
Old 28th January 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
I love the 6000's .. I had the ability to field test a 6000 vs the Lexicon 960L...
I enjoyed the lexicon sound, but found the 6000's rooms much more usable for film and post.
I completely agree with this..
The TC 6000 is incredibly flexible and has very realistic rooms, and a decent set of 5.1 spread engines.
I'm using the hardware units, but in the past I've used their plugin version of the 6000 and it works great.
30th January 2008
Old 30th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ View Post
Hello!

Let's discuss surround reverbs, both plug-ins and hardware versions here.
Sound samples could also be provided for reference.

Please tell what you are using, how you like it, what you find is missing, what and how you have used it etc.

Here's a list of surround reverbs I know of (I will try to keep it updated):

Plug-ins:

Altiverb
Digidesign ReVibe (HD only)
Steinberg Nuendo OctoVerb
TC Surround Verb (Powercore)
Universal Audio RealVerb (UAD)
Waves R360° Surround Reverb
- Review 1
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...rbW5-main.html

Hardware:

Eventide H8000
Kurtzweil KSP8
Lexicon MX400
Lexicon MX500
Lexicon 960L
Sony DRE-S777
TC System6000
I have all of these except for the Lexicons, the Sony and the UAD. OTOH, I have the Lex 300, 480L with surround cart, and most of their PCM line as well as most of their guitar stuff.

In general, if I have stretch time, as in mixing a soundtrack, I'll set up a lot of routing with the HW stuff (including the Eventide 4000 and the Kurzweil as well as the TC and Lex stuff). If I'm pressed for time, I use plug-ins.

The 6000 icon remote program (not the HW) is cool because I can sit in the back of the room on the couch and edit it via my notebook. I like that a lot. I sure hope Gibson doesn't kill TC the way they did Opcode. That would be tragic.
30th January 2008
Old 30th January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk@jamsync.com View Post
I have all of these except for the Lexicons, the Sony and the UAD. OTOH, I have the Lex 300, 480L with surround cart, and most of their PCM line as well as most of their guitar stuff.

In general, if I have stretch time, as in mixing a soundtrack, I'll set up a lot of routing with the HW stuff (including the Eventide 4000 and the Kurzweil as well as the TC and Lex stuff). If I'm pressed for time, I use plug-ins.

The 6000 icon remote program (not the HW) is cool because I can sit in the back of the room on the couch and edit it via my notebook. I like that a lot. I sure hope Gibson doesn't kill TC the way they did Opcode. That would be tragic.
KK- TC was purchasing Gibson were they not? I don't think they would kill themselves off... Killing off Gibson would be a shame- but there is a part that sez there present management deserves it- they have wrought a very destructive path since the 90's.

As to Surround Reverbs, there is also Altiverb and TL for ProTools HD.

“Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating. By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.”
? Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
30th January 2008
Old 30th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
KK- TC was purchasing Gibson were they not? I don't think they would kill themselves off... Killing off Gibson would be a shame- but there is a part that sez there present management deserves it- they have wrought a very destructive path since the 90's.

As to Surround Reverbs, there is also Altiverb and TL for ProTools HD.
It's a "merger": Corporate News

I think Gibson's a bigger company, but we won't know the deal until the end of Feb. Here's the line that really bothers me: "Under the terms of the merger, Anders Fauerskov will remain based in Europe, and serve as Chief Operating Officer of the new combined Gibson Guitar Corp." And the blob incorporates another one.

I'm still grieving the death of StudioVision. Opcode was such a cool company...

I use TL quite a bit, but it can get hoggy and slow the works. I like the sound, though.
30th January 2008
Old 30th January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk@jamsync.com View Post
It's a "merger": Corporate News

I think Gibson's a bigger company, but we won't know the deal until the end of Feb. Here's the line that really bothers me: "Under the terms of the merger, Anders Fauerskov will remain based in Europe, and serve as Chief Operating Officer of the new combined Gibson Guitar Corp." And the blob incorporates another one.

I'm still grieving the death of StudioVision. Opcode was such a cool company...

I use TL quite a bit, but it can get hoggy and slow the works. I like the sound, though.
Wow- from the look of that press release, it might be a good idea to sell off your TC gear- it's support will end as soon as Henry can make it...

Add another victim to the pile.

I hate that guy...

for some reason whenever I hear Henry Juszkiewicz name I always think of Henry Gibson (how ironic) from the Blues Brothers.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search