Login / Register

Louis CK & Piracy
Subscribe
tomlee
10th December 2011
Old 10th December 2011
Gear addict

Louis CK & Piracy

Louis CK is doing a download / stream special independently funded (or more realistically his production company is). Kinda interesting, very funny.

Though some of the commentary might interest those here. Similar issues is some way to In Rainbow (although it is not 'PWYW').

Variety - Why the Louis C.K. online show should concern Hollywood

it is available @ https://buy.louisck.net/purchase

contains a small bottom-of-the-page blurb about torrenting

Quote:
To those who might wish to "torrent" this video: look, I don't really get the whole "torrent" thing. I don't know enough about it to judge either way. But I'd just like you to consider this: I made this video extremely easy to use against well-informed advice. I was told that it would be easier to torrent the way I made it, but I chose to do it this way anyway, because I want it to be easy for people to watch and enjoy this video in any way they want without "corporate" restrictions. Please bear in mind that I am not a company or a corporation. I'm just some guy. I paid for the production and posting of this video with my own money. I would like to be able to post more material to the fans in this way, which makes it cheaper for the buyer and more pleasant for me. So, please help me keep this being a good idea. I can't stop you from torrenting; all I can do is politely ask you to pay your five little dollars, enjoy the video, and let other people find it in the same way."
Sincerely, Louis C.K.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Guru

its a bit of a gambit form a performance revenue point of view- I would expect it to end like the Radiohead experiment though.

On the downside, the problem with these new strategies is that it erodes the confidence for the more traditional tour / production model for both new artists and promoters and investors- in one of the other threads, I think Rack Gear said that the business is a team effort- and if we are all fighting to throw each other under the bus, the only thing that will happen is that all of us will likely get injured in the process.

“Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating. By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.”
? Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Guru

it's always interesting to see how these pan out - funny the charlie sheen online experiment from earlier this year this wasn't noted... personally, I think ALL PAID MODELS should be explored. I'm not particularly worried about artists of any kind doing it for themselves, I hope they do, and the more the better.

I think Spotify is really bad. The ROI just isn't there. It was/is an interesting idea, but not executed well enough to be sustainable. Tried it. Doesn't work... Next...

I'm pro choice. Every artist should have the CHOICE of how to conduct their business. For some that will be within the industry, for some outside of it, and for many probably some combination of the two.

What bothers me about Piracy is that it REMOVES the CHOICE from that artist to make those decisions for themselves.

Piracy is a massive disruption to the marketplace which should not be tolerated is it is counter productive to everyone except those who profit from it illegally.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
it's always interesting to see how these pan out - funny the charlie sheen online experiment from earlier this year this wasn't noted... personally, I think ALL PAID MODELS should be explored. I'm not particularly worried about artists of any kind doing it for themselves, I hope they do, and the more the better.

I think Spotify is really bad. The ROI just isn't there. It was/is an interesting idea, but not executed well enough to be sustainable. Tried it. Doesn't work... Next...

I'm pro choice. Every artist should have the CHOICE of how to conduct their business. For some that will be within the industry, for some outside of it, and for many probably some combination of the two.

What bothers me about Piracy is that it REMOVES the CHOICE from that artist to make those decisions for themselves.

Piracy is a massive disruption to the marketplace which should not be tolerated is it is counter productive to everyone except those who profit from it illegally.
there is no reasonable excuse for theft. that idea that piracy is a matter of choice is really an indication of how far the society is messed up.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Guru

Pro choice here too. The choice of the creator of the work that is.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlee View Post
Louis CK is doing a download / stream special independently funded (or more realistically his production company is). Kinda interesting, very funny.

Though some of the commentary might interest those here. Similar issues is some way to In Rainbow (although it is not 'PWYW').

Variety - Why the Louis C.K. online show should concern Hollywood

it is available @ https://buy.louisck.net/purchase

contains a small bottom-of-the-page blurb about torrenting
Went to post this, saw already done. Great show, well worth the 3.8 euros!
14th December 2011
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

14th December 2011
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
Here's an update - very interesting to read:

https://buy.louisck.net/statement
Well, I'm very glad it worked out for him. I guess fans of standup are more honest that music fans. That's pretty sad.......
All opinions expressed in my posts are solely my own: I do not represent any other forums (of which I may or may not be a member), groups, or individuals although at times my views may resemble those of other entities.

Inside every old man is a young man wondering WTF happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
14th December 2011
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Radiohead should have made their release 5 bux too. If you offer your release for 'any price you are willing to pay, including free', at the back of your mind, you understand the act are actually ok with free.
14th December 2011
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Guru

Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search