Login / Register

Data is the New Oil
Subscribe
Muser
10th December 2011
Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear

Data is the New Oil

thought some might find this interesting. feel free to comment.
10th December 2011
Old 10th December 2011
Gear Guru

Strange guy, commenting on even stranger guys.
I missed the line 'data is the new oil', was it there?
I didn't see much direct relevance to music piracy either, although I probably agree with the speaker's 'pitch'.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Guru

I agree with Chris- I dont think it has much to with Piracy, it is interesting stuff- but I think I will need to spend some time reflecting on it a bit...

his point about narcissism was dead on though.

“Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating. By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.”
? Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Guru

I hung out with him for a bit as SXSW a couple of years ago - andrew is an interesting guy, interesting ideas too... but I think somewhat misguided and lacks a certain type of focus... he's an academic, to him the landscape is an experiment, not an experience... which makes for some interesting rhetoric when you've got no skin in the game... his game is reporting on the game, not playing it.
Muser
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Lives for gear

Keen does talk about piracy often and he does some stinging attacks on the likes of Google etc.. even at Google headquarters.

Chris, I think he mentions that "Data is the New Oil" is currently used by big tech industry heads and so on.

he mentions @ about 9:00 that people at the world bank use the phrase a lot.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Guru

Ugh, sorry, I tuned out mentally right at the key point about data, Zuckerberg and the data barons.
Lacks focus, Rack Gear says, well I wasn't that interested in the search for a wife and the talk of former Marxist states.
But, yes I agree, the danger of handing over data on a plate, free of charge.
Unless Gearslutz counts as a social network, I'm not on any other social networks.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Ugh, sorry, I tuned out mentally right at the key point about data, Zuckerberg and the data barons.
Lacks focus, Rack Gear says, well I wasn't that interested in the search for a wife and the talk of former Marxist states.
But, yes I agree, the danger of handing over data on a plate, free of charge.
Unless Gearslutz counts as a social network, I'm not on any other social networks.
Chris, I think he was meaning that due to our narcissistic nature, we hand out all that info for free, which is then monetized by Facebook. I don't think he was talking about copyright abuse per-se, just that we were in essence devaluing our own "brand", by putting our interests and in essence, our lives onto to sites like Facebook.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Guru

Oh I fully understand that.
I've tried unsuccessfully to have my house image removed from Google maps.
I wouldn't want Facebook to sell my pictures, or my likes and dislikes to the highest bidder.
As I've said many times, it's a content land grab of the many by the few. "Content' that can be monetized now stretches from Facebook pic images to music I wrote.

I'm not sure it's all about narcism.
My partner experiences extreme peer pressure to join Facebook. Few of her friends will contact her any other way. The circle of friends communicate frequently via Facebook. If you aren't on Facebook, you are out of the friendship loop. And this is middle aged women, not teenagers.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Oh I fully understand that.
I've tried unsuccessfully to have my house image removed from Google maps.
I wouldn't want Facebook to sell my pictures, or my likes and dislikes to the highest bidder.
As I've said many times, it's a content land grab of the many by the few. "Content' that can be monetized now stretches from Facebook pic images to music I wrote.

I'm not sure it's all about narcism.
My partner experiences extreme peer pressure to join Facebook. Few of her friends will contact her any other way. The circle of friends communicate frequently via Facebook. If you aren't on Facebook, you are out of the friendship loop. And this is middle aged women, not teenagers.
I use Facebook as a professional contact tool mainly. It can be very useful for that, and for broadcasting to a large number of kindered souls the importance of this issue.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
I use Facebook as a professional contact tool mainly. It can be very useful for that, and for broadcasting to a large number of kindered souls the importance of this issue.
My primary use of Facebook as well.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Guru

I don't use it..... or Linkedin.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Banned

Quote:
I don't use it..... or Linkedin.
I use Facebook strictly for professional communication, and blatant self promotion. Anyone who knows me, knows I have no greater interest in facebook than as a means to broadcast my interests.
11th December 2011
Old 11th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOnTheGo View Post
I use Facebook strictly for professional communication, and blatant self promotion. Anyone who knows me, knows I have no greater interest in facebook than as a means to broadcast my interests.
I hate with a passion these outlets.
But, unfortunately i too use them.

I don't care what color of nuts someone found in their poop.. and certainly don't want to see a picture of it!
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search