Login / Register

Still think the DMCA is working well?
Subscribe
terryhart
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Gear addict

Still think the DMCA is working well?

Grooveshark email: How we built a music service without, um, paying for music | Media Maverick - CNET News

From internal Grooveshark emails:

Quote:
My favorite story related to our case is the story of a kid who appears in front of the judge for sentencing for the crime of having murdered both his parents saying judge have mercy on me cuz I am an orphan.

In our case, we use the label's songs till we get a 100 (million) uniques, by which time we can tell the labels who is listening to their music, where, and then turn around and charge them for the very data we got from them, ensuring that what we pay them in total for streaming is less than what they pay us for data mining. Let's keep this quite [sic] for as long as we can.
The DMCA protects legitimate service providers and UGC sites, but it also encourages business models like Grooveshark. SOPA and Protect IP would add more effective remedies against service providers like these, who deliberately set out to profit off misappropriation of other's work.
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Gear Guru

the DMCA seems to be working fine... for building businesses based on infringement that is...
29th November 2011
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
the DMCA seems to be working fine... for building businesses based on infringement that is...
no doubt

These fugs are laughing all the way to the bank.
They should start robbing little old grandmothers of their survivors benifits, and school children of their lunch money-- while they're at it.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search