Login / Register
 
Is this already happening?
Subscribe
#31
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #31
Gear addict
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 313

Naindurth is offline
Well, at least in my country,
a songwriter gets paid at the union (i don't know the world in english) when his/her music is played on the radio, tv or a club. And his/her own live shows...
The lion's share of profit that the labels have, it makes album sales not much to wait for. You get an insignificant amount of money.
If you're big enough you can change that, but then, you're already big enough, so...
#32
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #32
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,831

chrisso is offline
Interestingly you never answered my point that free music is taking income away from artists, not adding more income.
As to how much money people make from album sales, I've worked with a few BIG earners, so I've seen it myself.
__________________
Chris Whitten
#33
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #33
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: State of Insomnia, sleepless USA
Posts: 2,550

AwwDeOhh is offline
Everyone is effected, from the bottom all the way to the top. It's not just "rich superstars" that are hurt... it's not "evil labels" that are hurt.. it's the middle guy, and the people at the bottom trying to climb the ladder. It's the people who don't write kiddy-pop. (yes, there's genres outside of Beiber and Gaga...)

Do you think you're the only one who "doesn't like how the world works"? Some of us are mature enough to recognize that you don't steal from strangers to effect change.. if you do, you're no better than those Wall Street Bankers that crashed the world economy... or the dictator dictating peoples' actions.
#34
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #34
Gear addict
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 313

Naindurth is offline
Well, this BIG earners, when do they have enough?
You could say it's not adding income, but the circulation of music is bigger, and it will have an impact in the number of people coming to the live shows.
My own experience with Radiohead tells me it has a different potential, not a lesser one.
Radiohead was already big, okey, but If I hadn't downloaded In Rainbows I wouldn't have gone to the show, because the first track totally blew me away and they were coming. I had to go. I paid for their performance.
There could be thousands with this experience.

Free music is also difficult to put in practice because there are a few corporations that own the mass media, they will want a piece of everything, they're not going to play music they don't own.
#35
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #35
Lives for gear
 
sonicdefault's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,864

sonicdefault is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
Could be that, Or, it could be that I don't like the way the world works.
Music is free, and I don't care what a court says about that. And I'm not saying i'm going to make money out of someone else's creation. I have enough creations of myself.
No one is going to stop me from singing a tune in the park with my guitar under a hot sunny day. Is that illegal? Music is mine and it's yours, what is on you mind is yours.

And by the way
big reknown musicians have now more people listening to their music because of "piracy".
Roger Waters is staying in my country for a month to play stadiums every other day... oooh internet is sooo bad and piracy is sucking the life out of poor Waters...
It seems you misunderstand the history of music as an industry. It wasn't floating around in the air somewhere. It was built by people who were pioneers. Many aspects of music creation developed from electronics to songwriting itself as a craft- Because, it was realized there is a market for music which is beyond ordinary. People wanted music which sounded good and was in their cars and living rooms. It didn't happen because people were strolling through parks making others happy with songs.

Don't confuse the industry with everyday life, talent and gifts.


-SD
__________________
...My goal for many, many years was to obtain a beautiful API desk and be buried with it when I die...
vin-gear

...My 57 is only a few years old, but I'd like to think that someday my children can pass it down to their children.
Killahurts

...I would much rather tweak a moog than that thing bro...
MYAMS
#36
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #36
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,831

chrisso is offline
I don't think you have a scrap of evidence that more people will go to shows if recordings are free.
What about if you live in the middle of Australia, or Northern Scandinavia?Bands don't go there, so you can't pay them back by going to the gig.
As I said, popular bands have always sold out big shows, nothing is different.
The only way to know for sure you are supporting the artist, is to buy their record. Anything else is untested theory and guess work.

You are seriously suggesting you were blown away by the first track of Radiohead's album, but wouldn't have gone to see the show if the album had cost you $10?

Meanwhile, a couple of coffees can cost you $10.
People have no backbone any more if they wont pay for music that blows them away. Sigh.
#37
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #37
Gear nut
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 147

Chad Sterling is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Yes, the great BS of the 'free music' mantra is that those who do the talking, rarely do the walking. Music can be free if you make it yourself and share it freely. music isn't free if I pay to make it and require some payment in return to cover my costs. What we are seeing is the 'free music' believers taking music that isn't free, and NOT offering any free music of their own.
You obviously aren't too educated on the business end of this industry, because of this I'm assuming your a musician lol. As someone who is co-owner of a vanity label & co-ows (3) publishing companies I do know a little about the business side of things...

Music can absolutely become more profitable if it is given out freely. More or more top tier execs are becoming open minded to this concept for the future. Free reaches a wider mass of people meaning more sales in other brand extensions. Further into this thread you discredited a guy for claiming touring profit can compensate free music and you were wrong. Touring is up more than ever (Source: IFPI, RIAA, & Nielsen Soundscan annual reports). Music being shared freely reaches are larger demographic of people which means more tickets sold. But it is not just more tickets sold because recently we have established the 360 deal as 'the norm' for new artists & established artist to resign. This means more merchandise, more sponsorship & endorsement opportunities, etc... There are plenty of new revenue streams being introduced from free music such as; we are now entitled to a portion of the advertising revenue generated by websites streaming our content such as “Youtube” and “Myspace”.

Anyone that stands a chance at lasting in this business should have restructured or be restructuring there outdated business models in exchange for a model preparing for a future of freely shared music. Labels should be spending more money than ever to build up the next big "A-List" celebrity brand like Justin Bieber & cash in on all of his non music related ventures.

Music has become the ultimate marketing tool that you should be treating as a write-off not your predominant revenue stream.
#38
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #38
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
hahahaha Now I'm a thief! and even more! a childish one!
pretty much. truth hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
The world is owned by a few corporations who stole from you and me the Earth,
what does that have to do with you stealing music?

hmmm... do you know who owns corporations? shareholders do... do you know who shareholders are? about 90% of the working public... if you or anyone you know has a retirement account, a mortgage, a car payment or any other kind of financial product, you are connected to corporations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
but I'm the thief because I believe music should be free.
but gas shouldn't be fee? it's a natural resource. what else should be free that you don't have the balls to steal because you would actually face consequences? the only reason you have the balls to steal music is because it is unlikely you'll be caught... so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
Interesting... By the way I never said I'm a "pirate".
of course not, you just think you should be able to take what you want without paying for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
You read what you need to read, because I'm showing a different point of view.
no. you're point of view is no different than any other thief who justifies their behavior rather than taking personal responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
And even so, you think paying rent and working a crappy job is something that is to be despised?...
have no idea what you are talking about here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
well even I know that I'm a slave with a different name: A citizen.
put down the bong dude, you are not a victim...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
work as a producer and musician, if that's what you wanted to know. But fortunately for me, i own my place and I work as a producer and musician, if that's what you wanted to know.
I doubt that you actually do it full time professionally.

http://www.alai.com.ar/
http://www.myspace.com/alaialai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
So maybe we should stick to "piracy".
maybe you should grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
Do you know what is the biggest income of an artist?
depends on the artist, but for many it was publishing derived from album sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
How much a musician receives for a single sale of an album?
they get exactly what the contract says, usually around $1.50 - $3.00 per unit depending on where they are in their career.
#39
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #39
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
You obviously aren't too educated on the business end of this industry, because of this I'm assuming your a musician lol. As someone who is co-owner of a vanity label & co-ows (3) publishing companies I do know a little about the business side of things...

Music can absolutely become more profitable if it is given out freely. More or more top tier execs are becoming open minded to this concept for the future. Free reaches a wider mass of people meaning more sales in other brand extensions. Further into this thread you discredited a guy for claiming touring profit can compensate free music and you were wrong. Touring is up more than ever (Source: IFPI, RIAA, & Nielsen Soundscan annual reports). Music being shared freely reaches are larger demographic of people which means more tickets sold. But it is not just more tickets sold because recently we have established the 360 deal as 'the norm' for new artists & established artist to resign. This means more merchandise, more sponsorship & endorsement opportunities, etc... There are plenty of new revenue streams being introduced from free music such as; we are now entitled to a portion of the advertising revenue generated by websites streaming our content such as “Youtube” and “Myspace”.

Anyone that stands a chance at lasting in this business should have restructured or be restructuring there outdated business models in exchange for a model preparing for a future of freely shared music. Labels should be spending more money than ever to build up the next big "A-List" celebrity brand like Justin Bieber & cash in on all of his non music related ventures.

Music has become the ultimate marketing tool that you should be treating as a write-off not your predominant revenue stream.
bullcrap, post the URL to your label. it's a vanity label because you are a hobbyist.

you started this thread, right?
Does anyone else hate musicians as much as I do?

wow... makes sense now...
#40
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #40
Gear nut
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 147

Chad Sterling is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I think the new business model in the industry isn't producing the quality of output that the old one did. Where are the great albums going to come from? Surely if album sales are down, so are recording budgets and the investment in finding and cultivating the talent. The musicians/artists haven't gone anywhere, but many are small, independant businesses now, and if they are signed they aren't backed to the same extent. If the primary product is ticket sales and the recordings are more and more just promos for these ticket sales and merchandise etc then why invest so much in the recordings? I don't like the new business model and i'm not even part of the industry, just a music fan that would like to see great albums being produced again. You need to hire the best and pay them for the time it takes to produce great work in order to have great albums. Less incentive to do so if it's not going to sell, the profit from the profitable artists on the books are needed to be re- invested in the up and coming acts. Tightening up the piracy doesn't stop anyone making music independantly, gigging it to find a following and spread the word and putting it up on itunes to sell.
Just like "chrisso" you are also clueless to how this business operates. You probably don't like the new business model because you don't fully understand its potential. The key to the new business model is in 360 deals & building large brands that can extend into other business markets that can collectively generate up to 1 hundred million dollars of revenue a year. Labels that are going to exist in the future should be spending large amounts of money on album budgets to create the ultimate marketing tool that will captivate the largest amount of fans. People who steal music are probably not going to go into stores like Macy's & steal an artist's apparel line, fragrances, beverages, books, video games, etc...

By the way, if you state yourself that you "are just a music fan & don't work in this industry" why are you on my other thread questioning me about my job when as I am a professional that works in this industry?
#41
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #41
Gear nut
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 147

Chad Sterling is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
bullcrap, post the URL to your label. it's a vanity label because you are a hobbyist.

you started this thread, right?
Does anyone else hate musicians as much as I do?

wow... makes sense now...
Wow, I'm done I'm realizing from checking into your profiles that I'm not conversing with professionals but hobbyists, retailers, teachers, etc... **** gearslutz the site is becoming a joke!

& do you really think if I have gone to the extent to create a fake name that I'm going to be quick to post out my real info to some random no-name at request? Why in the hell would I care what you think? Good luck on the hobby & service jobs lames!
#42
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #42
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Just like "chrisso" you are also clueless to how this business operates. You probably don't like the new business model because you don't fully understand its potential.
f'ing seriously? google "chris whitten"
Chris Whitten - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this is you, right?
Producer Hiring Co-Writers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Hey,

I'm an up-coming producer / music composer & I am trying to take my music to the next level by bringing in musicians to co-write with. I have came to an agreement to pay each of these musicians an advance fee for each song we collaborate on. I have some connections to people in the genres I work in & believe our creations will be landing in the right hands & potentially going somewhere. This is a new thing for me & I have some concerns regarding the business side of things...

I would like to be the sole party in charge of deciding who these songs will be licensed to & negotiating the fees to potential licensees / buyers.

What contracts should I be filling-out with these musicians / co-writers?
So far, I was intending to fill out a copyright, split sheet, session report, & a non-discosure agreement. With the first three being on a song by song basis. Is this overkill or am I forgetting something?

Are contracts only legit if an attorney created them?

Lastly, if anyone has template contracts or has links to some that I could reference it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
uhm... yeah... educate us about what WE don't know... LOL...
#43
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #43
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Wow, I'm done
that didn't take long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
I'm realizing from checking into your profiles that I'm not conversing with professionals but hobbyists, retailers, teachers, etc... **** gearslutz the site is becoming a joke!
funny how that is... when confronted with the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
& do you really think if I have gone to the extent to create a fake name that I'm going to be quick to post out my real info to some random no-name at request?
and also a fake post about asking about fake information as a fake producer? really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Why in the hell would I care what you think?
you tell me, you're the one getting defensive and being argumentative about your fake request for information you should know if you have two publishing companies, a vanity label and are an established professional producer, life is strange...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Good luck on the hobby & service jobs lames!
do you even read your own posts? you posted in another thread asking for advice from your lack of professional experience than come into this thread pretending to be someone else, wow, just wow.

Ok, LOL. Back under the bridge for you...

this is me:
Piracy Is Personal - Tell Your Story Here
#44
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #44
Gear addict
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 313

Naindurth is offline
Uuhhh every sentence is being selected and bashed separately...
you're trying to win, don't you? yeeeees I caught you trying to win!

I don't care what you say I am or I'm not. Mind you, I'm not judging you. Don't go there, is not nice.
If you make music available for free, you'll stop music piracy.
Everything changes, and this could be good for music.
#45
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #45
Gear Head
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 48

DavidH is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post

By the way, if you state yourself that you "are just a music fan & don't work in this industry" why are you on my other thread questioning me about my job when as I am a professional that works in this industry?

We're all a bit sceptical about your claim to be honest mate. Just doesn't ring true. Face it, you're a hobbyist yourself, at home, on your own. You can't even find players willing to work on your projects. Of course, if you can prove us wrong, i'll glady eat my hat.
#46
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #46
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
Uuhhh every sentence is being selected and bashed separately...
you're trying to win, don't you? yeeeees I caught you trying to win!
it's about facts, not winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
I don't care what you say I am or I'm not. Mind you, I'm not judging you. Don't go there, is not nice.
facts are facts. observations are not judgement, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
If you make music available for free, you'll stop music piracy.
well, if everything were free without consequence there'd be no theft at all would there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
Everything changes, and this could be good for music.
Everything does change, it's true. The wild west wasn't wild forever, and neither will the internet be. We've seen more active conversations at the highest levels of government internationally and more new legislation proposed in the last six months than we've seen in the last six years.

New legislation is coming, it's not a question of IF, but only WHEN and what bills... don't suppose you've heard of the PROTECT IP ACT and SOPA?

Buckle Up Pumpkin.
#47
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #47
Gear addict
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 313

Naindurth is offline
Yes, i've read 1984, the big brother is coming.
The highest levels of government of the world can do whatever they please.
It's all about the money. Maybe Obama should be in charge of every label from now on.
And shut down internet like the did recently.
#48
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #48
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
You obviously aren't too educated on the business end of this industry, because of this I'm assuming your a musician lol. As someone who is co-owner of a vanity label & co-ows (3) publishing companies I do know a little about the business side of things...
we've already addressed this as being non-factual here:
Is this already happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Music can absolutely become more profitable if it is given out freely. More or more top tier execs are becoming open minded to this concept for the future. Free reaches a wider mass of people meaning more sales in other brand extensions.
this is only true when music is a loss leader for a brand, and as such, the music itself is not more profitable... it is a loss leader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Further into this thread you discredited a guy for claiming touring profit can compensate free music and you were wrong. Touring is up more than ever (Source: IFPI, RIAA, & Nielsen Soundscan annual reports).
how clueless can you be, again, wrong... and how would Soundscan report touring revenue? It's a point of sales data collection system for pre-recorded music.

Also, you might want to read this 8 page thread of press reports about how bad touring actually is:
I guess touring isn't going to save music . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Music being shared freely reaches are larger demographic of people which means more tickets sold. But it is not just more tickets sold because recently we have established the 360 deal as 'the norm' for new artists & established artist to resign.
do even know what a 360 deal is? it means that the labels get a piece of everything, touring revenue (such as it is), merchandise and publishing... how is this better for musicians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
This means more merchandise, more sponsorship & endorsement opportunities, etc... There are plenty of new revenue streams being introduced from free music such as; we are now entitled to a portion of the advertising revenue generated by websites streaming our content such as “Youtube” and “Myspace”.
how much have you are someone you know personally made from myspace, I'd like to see that one! do you even know what youtube pays, per million views?

By the way, there's not MORE merchandise, sponsorship and endorsement deals, there are less - and these are not new, they've always been how successful artists have added revenue streams, the only difference is that today, thanks to piracy, labels are taking a piece... again, musicians are worse off today than they were in the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Anyone that stands a chance at lasting in this business should have restructured or be restructuring there outdated business models in exchange for a model preparing for a future of freely shared music.
restructuring yes, free music no. you are wrong. please show me this highly profitable free music business in practice as a business model... it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Labels should be spending more money than ever to build up the next big "A-List" celebrity brand like Justin Bieber & cash in on all of his non music related ventures.
well, there's some truth to that, but I wouldn't say it's good news unless you are justin beiber... that's a very high bar for a very few these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Music has become the ultimate marketing tool that you should be treating as a write-off not your predominant revenue stream.
no doubt brands are evolving into the roles that labels used to have traditionally, but it is not better for musicians. as a retained consultant for a beverage company developing a pop artist, I can tell you first hand, it's a different world, and not necessarily a better one.
#49
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #49
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,831

chrisso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
Yes, i've read 1984, the big brother is coming.
The highest levels of government of the world can do whatever they please.
It's all about the money.
have you looked at Google and Apple recently.
These are two of the most powerful companies on the planet, two of the most powerful influences on the internet and it's direction, two of the most listened to voices in Washington DC.
The sad thing is that 'free music' plays right into their content grab ambitions. Pirates fleecing musicians only makes the tech industries job a more profitable one.
You rather deluded and backing the wrong side in this battle.
#50
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #50
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
Yes, i've read 1984, the big brother is coming.
wow dude... just wow... paranoid much? ok, you're probably right, Google get's closer everyday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
The highest levels of government of the world can do whatever they please.
it's looking like what they please to do is to start protecting the rights of artists, musicians, and creators again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
It's all about the money.
it is for you two. or are you working without compensation? money isn't important until you don't have any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
Maybe Obama should be in charge of every label from now on.
you're reaching off topic, and politics are not allowed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
And shut down internet like the did recently.
seriously?

here, read these report back:

http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Not-Ga.../dp/0307269647

http://www.amazon.com/World-Flat-His.../dp/0374292884
#51
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #51
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,831

chrisso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Wow, I'm done I'm realizing from checking into your profiles that I'm not conversing with professionals but hobbyists, retailers, teachers, etc... **** gearslutz the site is becoming a joke!
LOL

All I can say is I've been where you think you have the potential to go, and nothing in the music business is 'new to me'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
potentially going somewhere. This is a new thing for me
Good luck, although a word from a veteran, best not bad mouth whole sections of the music community in public when you are trying to get on the first step of the ladder.
#52
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Beyersound's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Vegas, Norcal
Posts: 3,728

Beyersound is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
No, I don't ignore the labor it takes to produce music. I produce music as well, in fact I'm recording an album of 26 tracks and I've been working on it everyday since a few months. You can bash me all you want, you don't know me.
What I'm trying to say Radiohead said it better:
I downloaded In Rainbows for free from their website. And then, when they came to my country, I paid more than a hundred dollars to watch them perform live.
No piracy involved. Music free. Performing live, paid for.
That was an experiment that they will not repeat again. They thought most fans would pay at least something for their valuable music by choice. Unfortunately They were wrong, Radiohead won't be doing that again. It seems that the people that are the most supportive of the "make it free" mantra, are the ones that haven't spent a majority of their careers making their living solely from the creating of music and/or the music business. I've made mine from it for decades both in the live end, and studio. Taking for free from either side is still wrong, it's not made right just because the artist has a second source of revenue.
__________________
Congratulations 2010, and now 2012 World Champion SF Giants!!!

"There is no crying in baseball, there are no rules in recording!!!"
www.myspace.com/beyeraudio

Michael Beyer
#53
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #53
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,831

chrisso is offline
Agreed.
(Time to change the signature?)
#54
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Beyersound's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Vegas, Norcal
Posts: 3,728

Beyersound is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Agreed.
(Time to change the signature?)
Sorry, but I'm still celebrating. Waited 46 years for that one!
#55
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #55
Gear maniac
 
Iron Man's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Calgary

Iron Man is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
That was an experiment that they will not repeat again. They thought most fans would pay at least something for their valuable music by choice. Unfortunately They were wrong, Radiohead won't be doing that again. It seems that the people that are the most supportive of the "make it free" mantra, are the ones that haven't spent a majority of their careers making their living solely from the creating of music and/or the music business. I've made mine from it for decades both in the live end, and studio. Taking for free from either side is still wrong, it's not made right just because the artist has a second source of revenue.
Agreed.
lds
#56
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #56
lds
Gear Head
 
lds's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 66

lds is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
hahahaha Now I'm a thief! and even more! a childish one!
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. One down, one to go...
#57
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #57
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
Well, at least in my country,
a songwriter gets paid at the union (i don't know the world in english) when his/her music is played on the radio, tv or a club. And his/her own live shows...
The lion's share of profit that the labels have, it makes album sales not much to wait for. You get an insignificant amount of money.
If you're big enough you can change that, but then, you're already big enough, so...
this is not true on a couple different levels. first of all, yes we are all aware of performance royalties, but that's only from broadcast. many artist make far more money from the publishing on record sales (or at least they used to) because not everyone get's airplay, but at least everyone has the ability to sell records (prior to piracy).

second, I'd like to know what your actual experience is with record label profit. it is the most high risk business around except for maybe the movie business. labels invest heavily in artists at great risk of losing that money. the artist benefits from the investment whether they sell records or not.

so now you're onto the "labels are evil" argument and artists don't get paid. what's funny about that is there's a lot of millionaire artists in the world and I'm hard pressed they'd be enjoying that lifestyle if it weren't for record label financing, but if you want to point me to the list of millionaire musicians who did so without label financing I'd love to see that list!

so meanwhile, as you are demonizing labels who invest in, support and build artists, tech companies like google invest ZERO and pirates also steal without contributing anything, so really, who is evil here? is it the company that invests in artists and builds careers, or is it the tech company that steals content for profit and consumers who don't pay artists for their labor?
#58
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #58
Lives for gear
 
AwwDeOhh's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: State of Insomnia, sleepless USA
Posts: 2,550

AwwDeOhh is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
..
If you make music available for free, you'll stop music piracy.
Everything changes, and this could be good for music.
yes, if everything is free nothing can be stolen...
... in the meantime, i still need to eat, have a roof over my head, heat that place during the winter, buy medicine, pay for surgeries, pay my car note, clothes, internet, music equipment, electricity, ect, ect, ect.. and surprise.. none of those things are free for me. I'll give you free music if i can get life's necessities for free, thank you very much.

"Everything changes, and this could be good for music"
Yes, everything does change...

... and NO this is NOT good for musicians.
Music is neutral, it's a thing. It doesn't have feelings or needs.
Musicians, on the other hand... still need to eat and pay bills. Musicians use Music to pay those bills. Understand?

Just as a carpenter uses wood to make a house, a musician uses music to pay the bills...
#59
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #59
Lives for gear
 
markham's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: No longer in Pago Pago! Now in Durham, NC.
Posts: 1,193

markham is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
Musicians will always be musicians, and if they stop writing music because they can no longer sell records, well they should stop. No one is going to miss those musicians.
I have friends who have had to stop because their record sales were down. They were and are good musicians with good ideas to add artistically. And YES, *I* miss those musicians making their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
No one is going to stop me from singing a tune in the park with my guitar under a hot sunny day. Is that illegal? Music is mine and it's yours, what is on you mind is yours.
Of course no one is going to stop you from singing a tune in the park with your guitar on a hot sunny day. Or on a cold wintery day, either. Don't be ridiculous. But if you start selling tickets and broadcasting CDs through a PA system, then the artist who recorded that work deserves to be compensated.

As an aside, I have a friend who is a custom home builder. For his open houses to display the high-end homes he builds, he creates playlists and plays particular music choices to set a mood for people to associate with his homes. He is using that music to try and turn a profit. Thus, the artists who created that work should be compensated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naindurth View Post
I downloaded In Rainbows for free from their website.
When I downloaded it from their website, I think I paid them $15, because their work has meant so much to me over the years, and I want to compensate them for that.
__________________
Still on OSX 10.6.8 | Still on Logic Pro 9.1.5 | Metric Halo LIO-8/4P | I also like guitars a lot.
#60
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
  #60
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,831

chrisso is offline
+100
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.