Login / Register

Newzbin2 ordered to be blocked in Britain!
Subscribe
AwwDeOhh
28th October 2011
Old 28th October 2011
Lives for gear

Newzbin2 ordered to be blocked in Britain!

Britain’s largest internet service provider [BT], ordered by the High Court in London to block access to the illegal website Newzbin2 within 14 days.

BT ordered to block Newzbin2 filesharing site within 14 days | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Quote from the MPAA blog:
MPAA Blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPAA Blog
In March
2010, Newsbin 2’s predecessor Newzbin was found to be infringing copyright and was ordered by the High Court to filter out the illegal content. The site did not comply with the order and re-launched itself as “Newzbin2”. The new site is based outside of the UK and its owners are operating anonymously.

After Newzbin refused to filter infringing content, the MPA had no option but to ask Britain’s largest ISP to block the site. The High Court ordered BT to block the site in July and the details on the implementation of that blocking order were released today.

I have a feeling that alot of the Bernes treaty countries may start to follow suit* in the near future. (wishful thinking?)
*of this and similar measures such as the proposed 'Protect IP' Bill being circulated in the US Congress

Another win for creatives in the IP world...but this is just a battle.. the war is just starting. (at least our counter attack... we've been getting pummled for the last 15-years...)
29th October 2011
Old 29th October 2011
Gear Guru

fantastic news, the worm may turn slowly, but it turns...
AwwDeOhh
30th October 2011
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
fantastic news, the worm may turn slowly, but it turns...
Yup, i'm glad it's finally starting. Whether we'll stall or rev is yet to be seen... but at least the ol jalopy is out of the garage!
Deleted User #106149
30th October 2011
Old 30th October 2011
Deleted User #106149

Hmm kill one and ten more crop up. I'm afraid this won't do a thing. Plus there's always proxies. The real solution would be for the music biz to buy out all the torrent sites, keep them as they are and take ad revenue. And share.

I'm amazed pirate bay is still the torrent haven it is, considering the new company's emphasis on making it legit.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com
30th October 2011
Old 30th October 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb123 View Post
Hmm kill one and ten more crop up. I'm afraid this won't do a thing. Plus there's always proxies. The real solution would be for the music biz to buy out all the torrent sites, keep them as they are and take ad revenue. And share.

I'm amazed pirate bay is still the torrent haven it is, considering the new company's emphasis on making it legit.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com
no the real solution will be real legislation that creates real consequences and removes the initiative to create a pirate site in the first place, like the PROTECT IP ACT and SOPA.
AwwDeOhh
30th October 2011
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm kill one and ten more crop up. I'm afraid this won't do a thing. Plus there's always proxies.
Sure, one down isn't the end of the story... though it can be applauded, especially if it's on the heels of bigger things [legislation] to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcb123
The real solution would be for the music biz to buy out all the torrent sites, keep them as they are and take ad revenue. And share.

That's a recipe for disaster... First of all
"the music biz" isn't a single entity... every band is their own company. You make it sound like (besides being a P.A.) there's a single decision maker and not a million different companies with different agendas.

No, enforcement of the laws already on the books is all that is needed. Just wait... your decade of looting will soon come to an end.
6th November 2011
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
... Just wait... your decade of looting will soon come to an end.
In which decade will it come to an end?

BBC News - Newzbin claims BT block 'not working'

From an enforcement point of view, Newzbin2 was probably a poor choice as an initial target. It has a larger proportion of technically savvy users than the average cyberlocker. However, it served a purpose as a test case. There's now a procedure in place for rights holders to follow.
7th November 2011
Old 7th November 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
In which decade will it come to an end?

BBC News - Newzbin claims BT block 'not working'

From an enforcement point of view, Newzbin2 was probably a poor choice as an initial target. It has a larger proportion of technically savvy users than the average cyberlocker. However, it served a purpose as a test case. There's now a procedure in place for rights holders to follow.
but it's progress, and the increased defiance and "work a rounds" show the true intent is to steal, and engage in illegal activity... eventually, legislation will have to take into account "intent" as it does with so many other laws.

personally, I'm happy to see piracy driven underground and out of the mainstream. in the early to mid 90s, cracks were currency BECAUSE they were difficult to obtain, and NOT for everyone. when piracy went mainstream it became super lame... and also did the most damage.

I wasn't that bothered by piracy in the early 90s because it was an underground, sub culture of tech geeks trying to out do one another for social status, which probably was ultimately manifested in Napster... but once piracy went mainstream it was super lame, there's no social bargaining power in doing something any 9 year old can do...
AwwDeOhh
7th November 2011
Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear

This may actually be a blessing in disguise.

Step back for a moment...
... courts/judges do NOT like to have their decisions shunted.
People who willingly do so and then brag about it, are just asking for more serious sanctions.

These folk will end up being their own worst enemy.. Any "breaking the internet" blame can be places soley on their shoulders, as future legislation on this stuff is NOT going to become somehow more timid than the last..
7th November 2011
Old 7th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
... People who willingly do so and then brag about it, are just asking for more serious sanctions. ...
Indeed. If I seriously wanted to keep doing something prohibited, I'd keep quiet and do it. But then, I'm no longer "young, dumb, and full of c**" - er, brimming with testosterone". (Well, 2 out of 3 at least...)

"When I was 16, my old man didn't know anything. By the time I turned 21, I was amazed how much he'd learned in just 5 years."
AwwDeOhh
8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
Indeed. If I seriously wanted to keep doing something prohibited, I'd keep quiet and do it. But then, I'm no longer "young, dumb, and full of c**" - er, brimming with testosterone". (Well, 2 out of 3 at least...)

"When I was 16, my old man didn't know anything. By the time I turned 21, I was amazed how much he'd learned in just 5 years."

funny how that works.
23rd November 2011
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hmm kill one and ten more crop up. I'm afraid this won't do a thing.
You have to start somewhere and this is a good a place as any.

Quote:
Plus there's always proxies. The real solution would be for the music biz to buy out all the torrent sites, keep them as they are and take ad revenue. And share.
Proxies, schmoxies. The average user doesn't want to know about proxies, or any other geek "solutions".

The average user isn't a geek and has no interest in anything that smacks of hacking. Remember, the average user can't even be arsed to learn to program a VCR.

Given a choice between paying for convenience and learning to jump through hoops for free most people will pay. Even if the hoops are very large and easy to jump through.

Nobody ever went broke by overestimating the laziness of humanity.
All opinions expressed in my posts are solely my own: I do not represent any other forums (of which I may or may not be a member), groups, or individuals although at times my views may resemble those of other entities.

Inside every old man is a young man wondering WTF happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
AwwDeOhh
23rd November 2011
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nobody ever went broke by overestimating the laziness of humanity.

Truely.

An individual may be smart and motivated --but people are dumb and lazy!

Just make it inconvenient enough and only the truely dedicated will bother.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search