Login / Register
 
Graduated response coming soon to American ISPs?
Subscribe
#31
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #31
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 14,458

John Eppstein is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthoughts View Post
Regarding anyone's knowledge of DSL/Cable technology, the truth is out there. You can easily research it yourself and verify... without knowing "credentials."
Don is our resident authority on the TECHNOLOGY of cable and DSL.

Don is an IT tech - that's his area of expertise.

Where Don is on somewhat shakier standing is the business strategy and internal policies of the companies he works for. Not to mention the companies he DOESN'T work for.

Do I believe that the suits in the corporate front office - or even in bookkeeping - are going to discuss corporate strategy with the tech department? No, I do not. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they made a point of NOT discussing it with the tech department.
__________________
All opinions expressed in my posts are solely my own: I do not represent any other forums (of which I may or may not be a member), groups, or individuals although at times my views may resemble those of other entities.

************************************
Inside every old man is a young man wondering WTF happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
#32
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #32
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 14,458

John Eppstein is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
I have told you and John many times that you may believe me or not believe me. It does not matter to me. I am not "hiding" either. You would actually have more creditability on these matter if you were, however.
If you're not hiding then who are you?
#33
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Neenja's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,942

Neenja is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
If you're not hiding then who are you?
What difference would it make? It wouldn't make me anymore credible to you than I am now. The problem here is that we somewhat know who you are and what you supposedly have done and none of it has anything to do with any conversation that we have. So if you, admittedly having no experience in any discussion we have here is an authority on every discussion we have here, why can't I having actual experience in the things we discuss here be an authority on the things we discuss here even though you don't know my actual name (like many here BTW)?

How about you stop playing the games and insulting people you disagree with and just discuss the issues to the best of your ability and let your words stand?
#34
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Wellington NZ
Posts: 1,375

Don Hills is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
...
Don is an IT tech - that's his area of expertise.

Where Don is on somewhat shakier standing is the business strategy and internal policies of the companies he works for. Not to mention the companies he DOESN'T work for.

Do I believe that the suits in the corporate front office - or even in bookkeeping - are going to discuss corporate strategy with the tech department? No, I do not. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they made a point of NOT discussing it with the tech department.
At my employer level, they actually do a reasonable job of communicating strategy. It's a result of employee opinion surveys telling them that they need to do so. As for customers, we know what their strategies are because we have to implement them. These projects have multi-year timelines. One large one that I've been working on since 2007 has only recently been deployed. So I have perfect hindsight - I know exactly what systems are in use, and the requirements that led to them. And I have good foresight for up to several years ahead - I know what is coming because we have to design, build, test and deploy it.

In summary, I know a lot about what the companies we work for are planning. I know more than you think about the companies we don't work for, thanks to professional organisation member networks and forums. I'm constantly having to be careful not to say something that hasn't already been announced publicly.

So. I'm done with trying to correct your technical misunderstandings, and I'm now done with trying to correct your misconceptions of my knowledge level.
#35
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #35
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,827

chrisso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthoughts View Post
You don't need to "defer" to anyone when 5 minutes of searching on Google will get you what you need to know. "Credentials" are only important to those who are frankly too lazy to verify.
That doesn't stand up as an excuse in any discussion, anywhere.
You make a claim, you back it up with evidence and the credentials to make the claim in the first place.
You don't hide behind anonymity and expect your opponents to prove your claim for you.
Very, very basic rules of debate.
__________________
Chris Whitten
#36
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Neenja's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,942

Neenja is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
That doesn't stand up as an excuse in any discussion, anywhere.
You make a claim, you back it up with evidence and the credentials to make the claim in the first place.
You don't hide behind anonymity and expect your opponents to prove your claim for you.
Very, very basic rules of debate.
I haven't seen proof of your experience in these matters. When is that going to happen?
#37
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #37
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,827

chrisso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post

How about you stop playing the games and insulting people you disagree with and just discuss the issues to the best of your ability and let your words stand?
I 100% agree!!!!
I can't emphasize that enough.

So no more 'throwdowns', no more "you are too stupid", no more "biased because you are a kept man" etc, etc.....
#38
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #38
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,827

chrisso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
I haven't seen proof of your experience in these matters. When is that going to happen?
Oh dear, you made a good rule..... and broke it one post later.

If you read the thread I'm not trying to prove I know more than you or Don in the are of DSL/Cable.
I've made a couple of points based on my actual experience, paying for and using DSL......
Something I've waited for Don to comment on.
#39
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Neenja's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,942

Neenja is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I 100% agree!!!!
I can't emphasize that enough.

So no more 'throwdowns', no more "you are too stupid", no more "biased because you are a kept man" etc, etc.....
That is hilarious. No one here mentioned experience until you and John started throwing it at other posters.
#40
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Neenja's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,942

Neenja is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Oh dear, you made a good rule..... and broke it one post later.

If you read the thread I'm not trying to prove I know more than you or Don in the are of DSL/Cable.
I've made a couple of points based on my actual experience, paying for and using DSL......
Something I've waited for Don to comment on.

I never said you claimed to know anything about DSL or cable.
#41
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #41
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,827

chrisso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
I haven't seen proof of your experience in these matters.


So no more 'playing games'?
#42
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #42
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,827

chrisso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
That is hilarious.
I completely agreed with your proposal..... as long as you stick to it yourself.
#43
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Neenja's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,942

Neenja is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post


So no more 'playing games'?
Nope. I don't see how the experience you have makes you an expert in the inner workings of the music industry or piracy. I've seen you attempts to explain it and I don't buy it. Sorry.
#44
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #44
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,827

chrisso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
Nope. I don't see how the experience you have makes you an expert in the inner workings of the music industry or piracy. I've seen you attempts to explain it and I don't buy it. Sorry.
Pathetic.
I'm one of the few here who is pirated.
I've been in the music industry, with no other day job, since 1980.....
Meanwhile you and the people you agree with are NOT in the music industry and don't have their work taken without permission.
Finally, although both you and Mark scream loudly that I'm always crowing about my career, five minutes later you're asking questions about what releases I've had, what retail sites I'm on, whether I've written music or not.
So you claim to know too much, but keep asking for more info......
Ironic.

Who are you again? College student, high schooler? You seem pretty naive about the industry to me.
#45
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Neenja's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,942

Neenja is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Pathetic.
I'm one of the few here who is pirated.
I've been in the music industry, with no other day job, since 1980.....
Meanwhile you and the people you agree with are NOT in the music industry and don't have their work taken without permission.
Finally, although both you and Mark scream loudly that I'm always crowing about my career, five minutes later you're asking questions about what releases I've had, what retail sites I'm on, whether I've written music or not.
So you claim to know too much, but keep asking for more info......
Ironic.

Who are you again? College student, high schooler? You seem pretty naive about the industry to me.

It really doesn't matter what you claim or who you are. I know about the issues being discussed here and I am intimately involved in them. I make 100% of my money from my involvement in the music industry. Whether or not you believe it won't change anything. At the end of the day, I know what the facts are and all I have to do is compare what you say to them. All this bullying that you and John try to pull is just immature and silly, but if it makes you feel better pleas continue.
#46
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #46
Lives for gear
 
nuthinupmysleeve's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: the plastic bubble
Posts: 8,912

nuthinupmysleeve is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Who are you again? College student, high schooler? You seem pretty naive about the industry to me.
Ad hominem attack, as usual. That is what you do Chris when you cannot use logic to dispute what someone has to say. Pretty sad, really.
#47
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #47
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,827

chrisso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthoughts View Post
Ad hominem attack, as usual. That is what you do Chris when you cannot use logic to dispute what someone has to say. Pretty sad, really.
There is no logic in someone anonymous claiming higher knowledge and credibility.
It's really as simple as that.
If you want to be taken seriously, nail your colours to the m,ast.
Would you believe Neenja over Derek Jeeter in an argument about baseball?
It really is the simplest concept and pretty basic to public debate.
The only reason you disagree is because you agree with the views of the anonymous posters and disagree with the views of those of us who are 'out'.
#48
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #48
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,827

chrisso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
It really doesn't matter what you claim or who you are.
Except that I have long music industry experience and have my work pirated.
You're right, no credibility whatsoever.
I lost any sense you understood the industry the day you claimed Susan Boyle was not hyped by the mainstream
#49
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #49
Lives for gear
 
nuthinupmysleeve's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: the plastic bubble
Posts: 8,912

nuthinupmysleeve is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
There is no logic in someone anonymous claiming higher knowledge and credibility.
I can tell exactly how much you know about the topic compared to the others here by what you write. I don't care about your "credentials."

It is as simple as that. "Rack" doesn't know any less because he won't reveal who he is. I might disagree with him about his conclusions, but I know he is speaking from his experience. I don't need to know who he is.

Quote:
If you want to be taken seriously, nail your colours to the m,ast.
Rack too then?

Quote:
The only reason you disagree is because you agree with the views of the anonymous posters and disagree with the views of those of us who are 'out'.
There are people who obviously understand, and there are others who don't. It doesn't take much research to tell you which is which here.

Really, just stop with the ad hominem. It's really stupid.
#50
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #50
Lives for gear
 
nuthinupmysleeve's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: the plastic bubble
Posts: 8,912

nuthinupmysleeve is offline
...have the last word Chris, I'm done with back and forth about your ad hominem attacks and chest thumping.

Got anything to say about ISPs?
#51
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #51
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,827

chrisso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthoughts View Post
I can tell exactly how much you know about the topic compared to the others here by what you write.
Without knowledge of your own you can tell very little.

Quote:
Rack too then?
Sure .... why not?
I happen to know who he is. I happen to know who you are. If I happened to know who Neenja was I might be more convinced by his claims of superiority.
But yeah, cards on the table trumps hiding behind anonymity any day.


Quote:
There are people who obviously understand, and there are others who don't. It doesn't take much research to tell you which is which here.
I made a couple of comments based on actual personal experience with my own ISP. Other than that I've stayed well away from the John vs Don game.
You have a problem with that?
#52
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #52
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 14,458

John Eppstein is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
At my employer level, they actually do a reasonable job of communicating strategy. It's a result of employee opinion surveys telling them that they need to do so. As for customers, we know what their strategies are because we have to implement them. These projects have multi-year timelines. One large one that I've been working on since 2007 has only recently been deployed. So I have perfect hindsight - I know exactly what systems are in use, and the requirements that led to them. And I have good foresight for up to several years ahead - I know what is coming because we have to design, build, test and deploy it.

In summary, I know a lot about what the companies we work for are planning. I know more than you think about the companies we don't work for, thanks to professional organisation member networks and forums. I'm constantly having to be careful not to say something that hasn't already been announced publicly.

So. I'm done with trying to correct your technical misunderstandings, and I'm now done with trying to correct your misconceptions of my knowledge level.
So you believe that if a company has an internal policy of maximizing revenue by covertly supporting piracy they're going to tell you about it? Why on earth would they do something like that? They'd have to be really stupid.
#53
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #53
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 14,458

John Eppstein is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
That is hilarious. No one here mentioned experience until you and John started throwing it at other posters.
Actually it was Don who brought it up.

You're wrong as usual.
#54
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #54
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 14,458

John Eppstein is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthoughts View Post
I can tell exactly how much you know about the topic compared to the others here by what you write. I don't care about your "credentials."

It is as simple as that. "Rack" doesn't know any less because he won't reveal who he is. I might disagree with him about his conclusions, but I know he is speaking from his experience. I don't need to know who he is.



Rack too then?



There are people who obviously understand, and there are others who don't. It doesn't take much research to tell you which is which here.

Really, just stop with the ad hominem. It's really stupid.
But we know who "rack" is. Chris and I do for sure and my understanding is that you and Neenie do as well. We also know who you are because you outed yourself a few months ago, possibly inadvertently, in the open forum, which was pointed out to me by someone after I'd figured out your identity through other means. I don't know if you've noticed but I've been considerably more civil to you since finding out who you were.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO RESPECT for "anonymous authorities".
#55
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #55
Gear Guru
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: the big rack
Posts: 11,248

rack gear is offline
#56
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #56
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,827

chrisso is offline
Startling.
#57
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Wellington NZ
Posts: 1,375

Don Hills is offline
Extraordinary. I can understand them worrying that COICA may make investment in tech more risky, but I don't at the moment see how they arrived at that conclusion. There's money to be made in innovations to prevent copyright infringement, and they are hardly likely to have significant investments in copyright infringment operations.
#58
25th June 2011
Old 25th June 2011
  #58
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Oz
Posts: 23,827

chrisso is offline
I honestly can't see much risk in tech at the moment.
Even faster broadband such as being planned in Oz, the UK and USA is the future, as is internet tv, movie downloads and cloud music etc......
Online shopping is still in it's infancy, remarkably enough.
mobius.media
Thread Starter
#59
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
  #59
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,415

Thread Starter
mobius.media is offline
Attached Thumbnails
Graduated response coming soon to American ISPs?-road-runner-infringement-notice.jpg  
#60
7th July 2011
Old 7th July 2011
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Wellington NZ
Posts: 1,375

Don Hills is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
Here we go. This should get interesting. ...
Interesting times, indeed.

- No indication of who pays for the IP-to-subscriber lookup, notice sending, and monitoring for acknowledgement of receipt.

- No detail on the "independant review process", which I doubt exists yet.

- Strengthening of the "guilty unless you prove innocence" presumption.

- The "ispplan.pdf" linked to from the Wired article has been carefully written. The apparent reasonableness of the process should be viewed with extreme suspicion. The camel's nose is in the tent...
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
RIZ Records / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
8
cbucks / So much gear, so little time!
2

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.