Apple's new licensed streaming service nearly ready
Old 23rd May 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Apple's new licensed streaming service nearly ready

Old 24th May 2011
it's too early to tell without details. the one thing that could really make apple's service work is the shear size of itunes marketshare if the cloud/streaming is tied to purchase history.

imagine if every song you ever have purchased from itunes is now suddenly available on all your platforms instantly. only apple/itunes have a large enough existing purchase history for this to be a win for both consumers and labels.

seems like the labels would be schizophrenic in this case having abolished DRM to give Amazon a competitive advantage on launch of their MP3 store - if the streaming is tied to purchase history, competitors will have a very hard time gaining ground.

and... being that the reports are that apple is getting license agreements or contracts of some kind finalized with the labels (and probably the major publishers as well) there is a very real likelihood that there could also be a paid subscription or transactional streaming model better suited to the labels desires than a US Spotify launch.

however it plays out it should be interesting, and not everything apple does works... PING for example seems to largely ignored as a social media island that very few are interested in visiting.
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

You don't need a purchase history and Best Buy already has all of these licenses AFAIK. It takes very little time to scan, fingerprint and verify a library. Google and Amazon can have them as well if they are willing to play ball. Amazon and Google can beat Apple to the punch and Best Buy already has.
Old 24th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
You don't need a purchase history and Best Buy already has all of these licenses AFAIK. It takes very little time to scan, fingerprint and verify a library. Google and Amazon can have them as well if they are willing to play ball. Amazon and Google can beat Apple to the punch and Best Buy already has.
Best Buy?

What are THEY up to?
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Best Buy?

What are THEY up to?
You're asking me? What could I possibly know about the internal workings of the music industry?
Old 24th May 2011
Gear Guru

Even a broken clock is right twice a day!
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Even a broken clock is right twice each day!
I'm not broken, I just run 15 minutes fast.
Old 24th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm not broken, I just run 15 minutes fast.
So now, if you were traveling in a spaceship at the speed of light and you looked at your wristwatch... would you see anything?
Old 24th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
So now, if you were traveling in a spaceship at the speed of light and you looked at your wristwatch... would you see anything?
Who would look at their wrist watch if they were in a spaceship traveling the speed of light?
Old 24th May 2011
Gear Guru

Damn. Thought I could catch you in a trick question!
Old 24th May 2011
Banned

Quote:
So how do the licenses work and what are the mechanics of the apple deal?

Posted from Airports, Planes, Busses, Taxi's, Trains and Hotels via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 24th May 2011

Quote:
Quote:
You're asking me? What could I possibly know about the internal workings of the music industry?
If you don't know anything then please shut up and go away.

If you do then please stop acting like an ass and answer the question.

And the question wasn't really about the music industry - it was about Best Buy. Do you actually have information or are you blowing smoke as usual?
Old 24th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOnTheGo View Post
So how do the licenses work and what are the mechanics of the apple deal?
How should he know?
Old 24th May 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
How should he know?
He seems to be speaking from a place of authority on the subject so I assumed he actually knows what he's talking about. Oh well that's teh internets for you.

Posted from Airports, Planes, Busses, Taxi's, Trains and Hotels via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 24th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearOnTheGo View Post
He seems to be speaking from a place of authority on the subject so I assumed he actually knows what he's talking about. Oh well that's teh internets for you.

Assumptions are dangerous things.....
Old 25th May 2011
Gear Guru

With a anonymous screen-name like Neenja (and 'Gear On The Go' to be fair) we could be talking about a high schooler with an active imagination.
Old 25th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
With a anonymous screen-name like Neenja (and 'Gear On The Go' to be fair) we could be talking about a high schooler with an active imagination.
Or a guy in the mail room at Google.
Old 25th May 2011
Gear nut

could someone tell me the history on how playing back a song from a remote file store became classified as a "stream?"

I dont get it.

I buy a song.. I store it somewhere , who cares where. I play it back. (which I am entitled to do, I own it )

How is that a any different that what i do today ? (from my local hard drive )
Where does that playback become a stream ?
Old 25th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
could someone tell me the history on how playing back a song from a remote file store became classified as a "stream?"

I dont get it.

I buy a song.. I store it somewhere , who cares where. I play it back. (which I am entitled to do, I own it )

How is that a any different that what i do today ? (from my local hard drive )
Where does that playback become a stream ?
If you'd bothered to read the article you'd know that's not what this is about. With this new Apple service you don't have to buy the song.
Old 25th May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Since when is knowing what best buy is up to equal to knowing about the internal workings of the music industry? Last time I checked Best Buy was a retailer of electronics

Did I miss something?
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianb007 View Post
Since when is knowing what best buy is up to equal to knowing about the internal workings of the music industry? Last time I checked Best Buy was a retailer of electronics

Did I miss something?
Apparently you missed everything.
Old 25th May 2011
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, no recent news. If they had a practical plan, they would likely have launched by now.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search