Login / Register

Interesting article: RIAA Scores $105M USD from Limewire, Gives Nothing to Artists
Subscribe
Oh-no's
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear nut

Interesting article: RIAA Scores $105M USD from Limewire, Gives Nothing to Artists

13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

just more big tech, pro-piracy propaganda... paying a $105m must sting a little... How much money was Limewire paying artists again? Oh wait...
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear addict

Funny, DailyTech never seemed to whine about Limewire not paying artists.

Hypocritical douchenozzles.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Allison View Post
Funny, DailyTech never seemed to whine about Limewire not paying artists.

Hypocritical douchenozzles.
Funny, that you never seem to whine about labels not paying artists.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear addict

I work for labels every day. I get paid well and on time.

So spare me that bullshit canard.

Thanks.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
Funny that artists get paid by labels before the labels even make a dollar...
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Rather than making this into a political discussion, there is an interesting point to be made. I think they money should INDEED be paid back to artists. Somehow the people who are always complaining about the poor artists seem to be missing the point. The artists are suffering as a result of piracy. Why shouldn't the money go to them??
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
just more big tech, pro-piracy propaganda... paying a $105m must sting a little... How much money was Limewire paying artists again? Oh wait...
Bingo. And Limewire was pulling in quite a haul -- 8 figures a year before it was shut down.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthoughts View Post
The artists are suffering as a result of piracy. Why shouldn't the money go to them??
Do you have any proof they won't see any of the money, or are you just blindly lapping up whatever the tech sites feed you?

Perhaps you should think up a way something like this could be done.

At this point, it's not even clear how the money will be split up by the labels.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have any proof they won't see any of the money, or are you just blindly lapping up whatever the tech sites feed you?

Perhaps you should think up a way something like this could be done.

At this point, it's not even clear how the money will be split up by the labels.
They're not splitting it up. They're putting it towards further anti-piracy and lobbying. Makes sense to me.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
In the article above, it quotes an RIAA spokesperson:
Quote:
RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy states, "Any funds recouped are re-invested into our ongoing education and anti-piracy programs."
Quote:
According to the RIAA spokesperson, the RIAA keeps it all.

If that's not true, please advise.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

All opinions expressed in my posts are solely my own: I do not represent any other forums (of which I may or may not be a member), groups, or individuals although at times my views may resemble those of other entities.

Inside every old man is a young man wondering WTF happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Rather than making this into a political discussion, there is an interesting point to be made. I think they money should INDEED be paid back to artists. Somehow the people who are always complaining about the poor artists seem to be missing the point. The artists are suffering as a result of piracy. Why shouldn't the money go to them??
"Artists"...... Hmmmm.......

And how exactly would you determine how much money got paid to which artist? And what about the thousands of artists whose tracks were pirated but not featured by name in the suit for the same of expediency? Seems to me that the artists that would need it the most - low profit indies - would be least likely to get anything.

Better to fund increased anti-piracy efforts that benefit everyone!
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Probably because they are paying what they legally have to and what they are contracted to.
Funny how we haven't seen a backlash from musicians on this decision to invest the money in fighting piracy.
The only backlash is from the piracy apologists!!!

The idea that the majority of musicians are against the major labels and against the RIAA is pure fantasy. A total silence, a lack of lobbying politicians by musicians, or even blogging by professional musicians against this action should tell you all you need to know.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Maybe we should ask the signed artists and not people like you.
Oh wait, there is no protest from 'the artists'.
It seems they agree with the decision, or artists lobby groups such as FAC and the various worldwide musicians unions would be screaming loudly.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Maybe we should ask the signed artists and not people like you.
Maybe we should.

When you find one, let me know.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
"Artists"...... Hmmmm.......

And how exactly would you determine how much money got paid to which artist? And what about the thousands of artists whose tracks were pirated but not featured by name in the suit for the same of expediency? Seems to me that the artists that would need it the most - low profit indies - would be least likely to get anything.

Better to fund increased anti-piracy efforts that benefit everyone!
How much of the RIAA's music was pirated? For that matter, how much of your music was pirated?
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
That's because that in 99.999% of all cases labels DON'T "not pay artists". Sometimes the artists are too dumb or stoned to understand that the advance they received was not a gift. Occasionally the artist doesn't get their advance because they were ripped off by an unscrupulous manager or lawyer, but that's not the label's fault, now is it? For example Jimi Hendrix is reported to have died broke - not because of his label, but because of Mike Jeffries, his manager. That sort of thing is MUCH more common than artists getting ripped off by labels.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's because that in 99.999% of all cases labels DON'T "not pay artists". Sometimes the artists are too dumb or stoned to understand that the advance they received was not a gift. Occasionally the artist doesn't get their advance because they were ripped off by an unscrupulous manager or lawyer, but that's not the label's fault, now is it? For example Jimi Hendrix is reported to have died broke - not because of his label, but because of Mike Jeffries, his manager. That sort of thing is MUCH more common than artists getting ripped off by labels.

Everyone I know (and I know a lot) are owed money they are having problems getting, can't get or would be too much money to get from the labels. This is money they are contractually owed. Henry Rollins says he never gets money from Blag Flag albums and there is no way that they are not payed for in 2011.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Everyone I know (and I know a lot) are owed money they are having problems getting
Most of the people I know owe their labels money.
I thought that was you and Psalad's usual tack, no one makes money from a major deal. Now you're saying they do, they just find it hard to actual get the money owing.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Maybe we should.

When you find one, let me know.
No, when you can prove most signed musicians are protesting against the funding of anti piracy actions get back to us.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
How much of the RIAA's music was pirated? For that matter, how much of your music was pirated?
Ahem......

It would appear that after all these months you still don't understand what the RIAA is.

The RIAA isn't a company. It doesn't "have music". It doesn't make a profit. That's not what it's for.

the RIAA is a TRADE ASSOCIATION, like the AMA or the National Association of Realtors, whose function is to represent and set standards for the record industry. As such it represents all the labels, or at least all the labels that join the organization.

And it would appear to be using this settlement for the good of all its members, and all artists.

How much of my music (personally) was pirated? Probably not much. How much of my guitar player's music was pirated? Quite a bit. Yep. Just did a Google search. Quite a bit. With at least two different bands.

Edit: Did a bit more searching. Yes, some of my music is in fact being pirated.

Next question?
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Most of the people I know owe their labels money.
I thought that was you and Psalad's usual tack, no one makes money from a major deal. Now you're saying they do, they just find it hard to actual get the money owing.
Just because one owes the label money doesn't mean that there isn't money owed to artist. You know this but are completely immune to having an honest discussion.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ahem......

It would appear that after all these months you still don't understand what the RIAA is.

The RIAA isn't a company. It doesn't "have music". It doesn't make a profit. That's not what it's for.

the RIAA is a TRADE ASSOCIATION, like the AMA or the National Association of Realtors, whose function is to represent and set standards for the record industry. As such it represents all the labels, or at least all the labels that join the organization.

How much of my music (personally) was pirated? Probably not much. How much of my guitar player's music was pirated? Quite a bit. Yep. Just did a Google search. Quite a bit. With at least two different bands.

Next question?
You are the one here complaining, not him. If one can't criticize labels if they aren't signed, why can you and others complain about piracy when you aren't an artist and aren't being pirated?
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Everyone I know (and I know a lot) are owed money they are having problems getting, can't get or would be too much money to get from the labels. This is money they are contractually owed. Henry Rollins says he never gets money from Blag Flag albums and there is no way that they are not payed for in 2011.
You know Henry?
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
completely immune to having an honest discussion.
Talking of which -
You cite Rollins and Black Flag, but their albums came out on an independent label (SST) owned and run by the band members themselves (Greg Ginn).
The label (hardly a major) had a chequered history from the start, with dodgy practices, Ginn going to jail right at the start of the band etc... and other well known bands like Sonic Youth and Husker Du falling out over accounting practices and lack of enthusiasm from the label.
But this is somehow an example of labels across the board failing to pay artists properly.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
why can you and others complain about piracy when you aren't an artist and aren't being pirated?
So I'm allowed to complain about piracy then?
Great, thanks for your permission.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know Henry?
No, but I can read.
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I'm allowed to complain about piracy then?
Great, thanks for your permission.
I'd like to listen to one of your records. Where might I find one?
13th May 2011
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Talking of which -
You cite Rollins and Black Flag, but their albums came out on an independent label (SST) owned and run by the band members themselves (Greg Ginn).
The label (hardly a major) had a chequered history from the start, with dodgy practices, Ginn going to jail right at the start of the band etc... and other well known bands like Sonic Youth and Husker Du falling out over accounting practices and lack of enthusiasm from the label.
But this is somehow an example of labels across the board failing to pay artists properly.
It is one of many. Though I suspect you will always have a defense.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search